Talk

Advanced search

aibu to want to know why?

(18 Posts)
Moomins67 Sun 28-May-17 00:03:06

Korean lodger has moved out and left her key

She insists that the bedroom door should be left open in her absence, until the new lodger moves in, in September

I said sure but asked why and she replied "just cus". I pushed on the matter (I was really curious) and she told me to just forget it and seems upset

AIBU to want to know why??

MyCalmX Sun 28-May-17 00:04:29

No idea but curious so very obvious place marking smile

PetraDelphiki Sun 28-May-17 00:05:21

Close it and see if she finds out somehow!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 28-May-17 00:08:52

How would she know if you shut it?

Maybe there's a mouse in there and she wants it to find freedom?

Moomins67 Sun 28-May-17 00:10:55

Milk I've been through the room and all she left was an empty water bottle, 2 cotton balls and her key

AlcoholAndIrony Sun 28-May-17 00:28:56

Is it a superstition, perhaps? Letting the bad spirits leave?

Tapandgo Sun 28-May-17 00:33:45

Creepy or what 🌚 But North or South Korea?

MoonShapedPool Sun 28-May-17 00:36:46

Tapandgo that emoji is scaring me

Moomins67 Sun 28-May-17 00:37:04

I've just found an article that says you should leave your house a mess when you move, so the spirits think you still live there and don't follow you to your new house.

Should I put the cotton buds and water bottle back? She must have left them there on purpose.

Tapandgo S Korea

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sun 28-May-17 00:41:43

How likely is it to be North Korea, really.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sun 28-May-17 00:48:21

It sounds like feng shui, doesn't it. Just tell her you will, then shut it (the door).

BitOutOfPractice Sun 28-May-17 00:59:08

Maybe it's about leaving the door open to come back? How intriguing

Isn't there a long running thread for Korea-ophiles on mn?

PossibiliTea Sun 28-May-17 01:01:29

Yeah sounds like clearing the energy from the room or something but interesting that she really didn't want to tell you why?

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sun 28-May-17 01:04:32

Yeah sounds like clearing the energy from the room or something but interesting that she really didn't want to tell you why?

Maybe she can't, because she doesn't understand why she's supposed to do it? Which wouldn't be surprising given that there is no actual reason to do it (if it is a feng shui thing). Just let her think you'll do it to leave her mind at rest.

Moomins67 Sun 28-May-17 01:13:00

I've propped it open and sent her a text to say so. I have no issues with having it open, it just lit my burning curiosity

I've considered asking the other 2 Korean lodgers but I don't want it to look like I'm discussing other lodgers behind their backs

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 28-May-17 01:13:44

There is a widely held belief in Korea that if you have a fan on in a room where all the doors and windows are shut then you will die, but not sure how that relates here.

It could be something she has from her childhood and tbh if it didnt affect me then I would do it.

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 28-May-17 01:15:40

I'd ask them. As long as you make it clear that you are doing what she wanted but you are just curious as to the meaning behind it then I cant see how it would be talking behind her back, more an enquiry about a part of their culture that you dont understand.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sun 28-May-17 01:16:48

You don't need to do it, if you want to close the door.

Just tell her you have. Unless she knows your other two lodgers and they might tell her the awful truth?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now