Talk

Advanced search

To not pay this?

(11 Posts)
Craicvac Sat 27-May-17 19:11:35

My husband and I have just had a week in the Lake District in a self catered cottage. It was a lovely cottage, but we did notice early on that a couple of the cushions were a bit grubby, as well as there being spiders webs in a few corners etc. Given that it was such beautiful week, we were barely inside at all, and it didn't bother us at all.

Unfortunately the one evening we went out, we locked the dog in the kitchen to prevent them jumping on the sofa, and being an opinionated little brat who is used to having the run of the house, she responded by chewing a towel and the edge of rug.

As we left today, we stripped all the beds, and thew them beside the washing machine to make it easier for the cleaner. As an afterthought, I stripped the dirty cushion covers too and put them with the linen so it wouldn't be missed/ covered up for the next people. We also emailed the agents running the house, apologised for the damage and asked them to let us know the cost of replacement and that we would transfer the money to them.

We've just arrived home and have an email from them saying that we left the house in an unacceptable condition (we didn't- we brushed, cleaned and vacuumed, as we always do), and that they are charging us for the following items: Rug and towel with hole in them- appears to be chewed by dog. Cushions and throw: stained and needing dry cleaned.

I'm super naffed off because we could easily have hidden the damage, and now just feel that they are taking advantage of our honesty. The things that they want dry cleaned are all the things that I set aside to bring to their attention. I realise now that I should've complained straight away, but really, on a week like we've had, we spent all day out exploring and evenings in the garden, so the living room barely got used.

So would I be unreasonable to reiterate that we will gladly pay for the damage we caused but that we won't be paying for the rest?

fanfrickintastic Sat 27-May-17 19:20:24

pay for the damage the dog did but not the rest.

onetworedblue Sat 27-May-17 19:20:43

Sounds fine to me, you shouldn't have to pay for things you didn't damage. But might have been better to let them know that the cushions were dirty proactively, rather than just leaving them to be washed.

Stiddleficks Sat 27-May-17 19:22:22

Pay for the damage by the dog, and tell them your not paying for anything else, listing all the issues you had too.

MsVestibule Sat 27-May-17 19:22:30

Just pay for the rug and towel. They're not likely to take you to the small claims court for the rest.

Chloe84 Sat 27-May-17 19:25:31

Can they debit your card for the money?

Deffo don't pay. Leave honest feedback to the chancers.

HeyHoThereYouGo657 Sat 27-May-17 19:30:08

Pay for the damage the dog done and then leave it .

Just a shame you put the cushion cover and throw among the bedding but I see that was done out of thought . Best of Luck

Craicvac Sat 27-May-17 19:32:54

Thanks! That's what I think... I wish now that I had complained, but it just was such a non- issue to us... they weren't even properly dirty, just looked overdue a wash if that makes sense?

I've sent an email explaining that there's been a 'misunderstanding' about the cushions, and asking them to let us know the price of the towel and the rug. So annoyed though as now I feel totally stressed at the end of what has been a fantastic week. Hopefully they'll see that we're reasonable and honest people, and appreciate that, rather than try and take advantage. If not, I'm going to get properly cross with them!

I don't know if they can debit the money themselves- it was paid on a CC to give us the extra protection, but can they just take more??

littleflowershop Sat 27-May-17 19:41:28

Hi Craicvac,

I had a similar situation at a self catering cottage in Yorkshire. The property was not as described on the agents website, but we had a lovely week so didn't feel the need to mention it.

When we got home, we received a call to say the owner had claimed the house was left in a disgusting manner, damage to a chair beyond repair that needed recovering and that it took her cleaning lady an extra 4 hours to clean the property. It was a teeny tiny open plan cottage, and it was left spotless when we left (I was a housekeeper at the time so a little ocd with cleaning!!)

We asked for evidence of this, but the owner couldn't provide it, and failed to give us an invoice for her cleaners extra hours. She did send us a photo of the alleged damaged chair, which was taken 3 weeks after we left (god bless time stamps!) and looked like someone had just chucked a glass of water over to feign damage!

We had paid a security deposit with our credit card, so we just sent all correspondance to our card company and we got this all back no problem. It's great that you've corresponded via email, and your offer shows how reasonable you are as a person and that you aren't trying to get out of paying.

Hope you get it all sorted!

littleflowershop Sat 27-May-17 19:41:50

not recovering, repairing!

Trifleorbust Sat 27-May-17 20:00:54

Don't pay for the cushions, but I do think you asked for the situation by removing them. Not really your place and it's quite logical that they thought you were responsible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now