Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect DH to be able to tie a bobble?

(19 Posts)
Captainj1 Sat 27-May-17 18:14:10

I have a DS of school age and a DD. DD is 2 and has always had lots of hair. DH cannot tie a bobble. He claims he has tried but that by the time he has tied it there is no hair left in it? I have no idea what he's doing. Nor does he it seems. AIBU to expect him to learn? I can't do her hair every morning for the next X years...apart from anything else I work away a lot...

Petalbird Sat 27-May-17 18:17:08

Use one of DDs dolls or toys sit him down and teach him smile

snotato Sat 27-May-17 18:17:31

Get him to tie a hair band in the Hoover hose,Hoover dd's hair and slip the band on.simple fool proof way of getting a man to do a girls hair wink

beachbodyunready Sat 27-May-17 18:21:40

Yanbu but men are terrified of bobbles and girls hair, I've tried to educate DH but he just doesn't get it or have any idea of what the finished 'do' is supposed to look like.

Captainj1 Sat 27-May-17 18:26:16

I've suggested he practice on a doll but he won't even try, he just shoves clips in the front which looks shit and doesn't actually keep her hair off her face for more than 2 minutes. He does indeed seem terrified 🙈

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sat 27-May-17 18:28:34

My ex couldn't either.
I had 2 x dd when I had ds and I still remember texting him on the morning he had to get them ready for school in my absence - I asked if he had managed their hair. . He declared he hadn't so had shaved their heads.
All hormones I believed him and burst into tears! .

CMOTDibbler Sat 27-May-17 18:30:54

He just needs to practice, so hair styling can be his thing!

I think there are you tube videos by a dad on how to do plaits etc

LostMyDotBrain Sat 27-May-17 18:32:38

Defeated...by a bobble grin Tell him YouTube is his friend and getting -weetabix- food out of a toddler's hair is a much harder task than learning to keep the hair back.

Allthewaves Sat 27-May-17 18:34:06

Hairband?

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 27-May-17 18:35:21

It's funny that women have male children and deal with all the stuff that goes with that. But tying hair up defeats some men.

DH can do plaits, bobbles, clips. Shall I send him round? grin

BikeRunSki Sat 27-May-17 18:39:47

this is what *snotato* means

Captainj1 Sat 27-May-17 18:41:22

Hopefully the hair issue isn't why he's an ex Flapjacks?

Hairband would be a great shout if she didn't just pull it off. Maybe one for when she's a bit older.

It's the food and sun cream etc that's the main issue. She's a mucky pup and it gets all matted very quickly with snot and other sticky stuff.

Yes please Terry. Although re mum's learning DS stuff,to be fair I didn't quite manage to teach DS to pee standing up. I tried but I didn't quite understand the apparent need to pull back the foreskin slightly...😂

Captainj1 Sat 27-May-17 18:43:50

That video is awesome. Not sure it will work with a Gtec Airram but hey we'll give it a go...😀

snotato Sat 27-May-17 18:58:54

Yes get him a little hair doing dust buster!
Bike hit the mail on the head with that video.
i bet teachers secretly snigger to themselves,"oh Tracy 3rd row from back must have had her hair done by her dad this morning........poor little tracy"

nocake Sat 27-May-17 19:04:25

I'm a dad of two girls and I can tell your DH that YouTube is brilliant for learning how to do hair. You also need a patient model to practice on. Please tell him to keep trying, following the instructions on YouTube and he will get it. I can now manage a passable french plait.

JeffyJeffington Sat 27-May-17 19:12:29

Also really encourage if he is low on confidence and try to tolerate less than perfect as he progresses. My Dd of nearly 3 has loads of wild curly hair and DH gritted his teeth and attempted a (very loose!) ponytail on all of his drop off mornings from about 18mo. He was v self critical but I was like - she's 2, it doesn't really matter what she looks like anyway! He has really progressed now- sometimes it stays up all day nowadays!

koalab Sat 27-May-17 19:21:17

I asked my DP to tie my hair back while I was in labour and had a drip in my hand. I've never seen him look so perplexed. The midwife had to step in!

BelfastSmile Sat 27-May-17 19:26:24

@koalab I was about to post the same thing! DH did manage to get my hair tied back, but it fell down about 5 minutes later! I was planning to give him a lesson before my second labour, but didn't get a chance as DD arrived early - thankfully I had my hair tied up to start with!

I never know how to work those bobbles that are like an 8 shape with a shape on each bit. Will have to find a video on YouTube before DD is much older.

2ndSopranos Sat 27-May-17 19:27:53

YANBU.

I have two dds and dh has never even tried. Refuses to try, in fact. Drives me bonkers. I can't go to work until their hair is done - by me. Dd1 can at least do her own now (unless she wants French braids in which case I help).

He counters it with "well I do do the ironing and all the gardening". Latter is bollocks: I've been gardening all day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now