Talk

Advanced search

To take this to out of hours?

(17 Posts)
Stopthisshemozzle Sat 27-May-17 08:14:43

I have woken up with a numb right shoulder and have lost dexterity in my right hand. I can't open a bobble with it, it's too weak.
My hand has been funny for a week or so, but now the whole arm is a bit of a dead weight. I can move it round, not sure I could drive with it though.
My doctors are always 3/4 weeks until appointments and I don't think I could wait that long.
Am I being dramatic seeking out of hours help?

reallybadidea Sat 27-May-17 08:23:12

Not at all. In fact, without wanting to scare you, it could potentially be a small stroke so I'd be going to a&e if it was me. Just in case.

myoriginal3 Sat 27-May-17 08:25:35

YANBU. Get checked out.

jelliebelly Sat 27-May-17 08:27:09

YANBU

Stopthisshemozzle Sat 27-May-17 08:27:49

A stroke would be quite fast working though wouldn't it? The hand has been funny all week.

MissBax Sat 27-May-17 08:29:47

I'd call 111 rather than present at A+E

Silvercatowner Sat 27-May-17 08:31:39

YY to 111 - this isn't an accident, and from what you describe, not an 'emergency' in A&E terms.

Stopthisshemozzle Sat 27-May-17 08:42:24

Thanks folks. Called 111 and a Dr is going to call back.
The lady asked all the stroke questions and didn't seem too worried, hence the call back.
I always feel bad using nhs services at the weekend.

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Sat 27-May-17 21:28:28

How did you get on today OP ?

Stopthisshemozzle Sat 27-May-17 22:09:18

Ok thanks. It's most likely a trapped nerve in my shoulder causing my hand to weaken and the numbness.
She says it needs a physio, so I'll have to ask my GP (once I find one!) to refer me.
I am a bit worried as my job requires a lot of detailed practical work and my right hand hasn't been really been working today. I fear it may be a while before it's fixed.

Stopthisshemozzle Sat 27-May-17 22:09:55

Also worried about driving and can't write with it today either. sad

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Sat 27-May-17 22:20:18

Am glad you got seen and it wasn't a stroke.

I have no practical advice so will just send flowers instead.

Stopthisshemozzle Sat 27-May-17 22:21:06

That's a better way of looking at it, it could have been much worse news!
Thank you. smile

ImissTerry Sun 28-May-17 10:31:53

You could pay to see a sports therapist/physio. They could manipulate your shoulder. I don't think their fees are excessive; around £40 or therabouts for a session (actually probably less than this). If you can't write/drive or move your arm you need to get it sorted sooner rather than later. You'll be waiting months if not years for an appointment with the NHS.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 28-May-17 10:40:12

I had this last year and it is utterly terrifying. Mine happened a little quicker though, in the space of one evening I went from tingly fingers to a completely numb arm. Went to the nurse, she advised A&E (up to that point I thought trapped nerve) after 3 hours in hospital it was determined to be a trapped nerve in the neck.

Try looking over your shoulder slowly, without turning your back. Mine was uneven, the muscle on the side of the numbness was a lot tighter. A few physio sessions over 3 weeks saw it right (I paid privately to expedite it). I hope it's as easily resolved for you.

GlitterGlue Sun 28-May-17 10:41:16

In our area you can self refer to physio. Would be worth checking?

Stopthisshemozzle Sun 28-May-17 16:23:49

I shall look into sports physio. I'm hoping it won't be too bad to fix, if it's constant physio I will have to go NHS though which worries me! Can't afford to be off work.
I was embarrassed today as I had to update the white board in the staff room, my left hand was better than my right. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now