Talk

Advanced search

AIBU i signed for someone else's parcel

(26 Posts)
Sanskritsista Fri 26-May-17 21:50:52

We viewed a house today. I was in the living room while DH went with the estate agent round the property. Owners were nowhere to be seen but we were told they were in the house.

Suddenly I hear a "hellllllo? Helllllllo? Is anybody there?" I paused, thinking that the owners would come down, but they didn't. Next thing I know a postwoman has opened the door and is in the house and says "oh there you are." I said "actually I'm just viewing this house, I don't live here."

She said well I have a parcel here which needs to be signed for and it was supposed to be delivered by 1pm and it's 12.55 now so it's obviously important and I have to get off. I tried as best I could to call for the owners. I searched for them in several rooms of the house, looked in the garden, but they were nowhere. DH and the agent were at the bottom of the garden (which was very long.)

I said ok I'll sign for it. I put my signature (or rather a crap wiggly line) on the electronic signing device, took the parcel and put it in the hallway.

After looking round myself with the agent, DH talked to him again, and I saw who was obviously the owner of the house, a woman, in the kitchen making a drink.

I went in and said sorry to bother you, but I just signed for a parcel for you, the postwoman said you'd asked for it to be delivered by 1pm so I thought it was urgent.

She said "What?" She'd obviously heard me but was shocked.

I said "the parcel's just in the hall. I signed for it when the postwoman came round."

Then she said, "Right," and looked at me as if she was waiting for me to come to my own conclusion about what a bad (?) intrusive (?) thing that was to do?

I just smiled and said nice to meet you, the house is lovely, I hope our viewing is not disturbing you too much.

She said "the postwoman let a stranger take my parcel?"

I said, "yes but she was wanting to get it to you on time, because you had requested a time slot for delivery and..." then she walked away.

So I was feeling a bit confused and blush

Was I U? Or was she?

gamerchick Fri 26-May-17 21:53:13

Don't give it any more thoughts, some people have their own issues and you did nothing wrong.

Ratatatouille Fri 26-May-17 21:55:24

She sounds bloody awful. You just did her a favour surely? Don't give it another thought. She has shown herself up. You did a nice thing and saved her a trip to the depot or waiting for a redelivery. Cheeky cow.

MakeItRain Fri 26-May-17 21:55:28

She was! I would have thanked you for getting it delivered. It's a reasonable assumption that the post woman would have assumed an adult inside the house could sign for it and it was thoughtful of you to do it.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 26-May-17 21:57:12

You told the delivery person the truth, it's not like you pretended to be her. SIBU

Floralnomad Fri 26-May-17 21:59:04

You did nothing wrong at all but can I be nosey and ask why you weren't looking round with your husband .

Henrysmycat Fri 26-May-17 21:59:31

I'd have thanked you and offered you a drink in this hot weather. She's has issues.

Sanskritsista Fri 26-May-17 22:00:13

Floralnomad

I had already looked round last week, so I'd seen everything and I'd brought DH round to do a second viewing...

Thank you all for making me feel justified and like I wasn't intruding on her privacy!

QuirstThenching Fri 26-May-17 22:20:15

If it was Royal Mail then a 1pm parcel will be a Special Delivery and should probably not have been given to a random.

The postie was bu

TheFifthKey Fri 26-May-17 22:33:03

A random who was in the actual house though...

LadySalmakia Fri 26-May-17 22:38:29

Yeah, I don't think you were unreasonable to take it cause obviously you tried and you told the owner straight away but the post woman really shouldn't have left it with you after you'd explained. I'd have been annoyed about that.

StillaChocoholic Fri 26-May-17 22:41:50

How big is this house!?
YANBU though

MovingtoParadise Fri 26-May-17 22:42:01

Yes the post woman should give it to anyone in the house. It's not specific to individuals.

It's accepted that if it's taken in to your house by your 'agent' then they're trusted to receive.

DontTouchTheMoustache Fri 26-May-17 22:54:43

I'd have just been very grateful of someone did that for me, YANBA.
If you hadn't signed for it and told her afterwards I bet she would have been pissed off with you for not taking it as well. Some people just like being moody

jarhead123 Fri 26-May-17 23:02:53

This house sounds massive!

YANBU. You were forced into this situation to be fair

Sanskritsista Sat 27-May-17 00:17:22

The house isn't massive - it's a barn conversion attached to various other buildings, so lots of little stairs leading to doorways to get to rooms so hard to communicate with others in the house...

... which is part of the reason we aren't going to make an offer.

emmyrose2000 Sat 27-May-17 03:42:03

YANBU

The woman sounds weird and ungrateful. You saved her a trip to picking it up elsewhere, or having to wait for another delivery time. She clearly needed/needs to get a really loud doorbell if she can't hear someone knocking on her front door.

The postal worker was wrong though to entrust the parcel to someone who'd clearly stated that they were virtually a complete stranger.

It's probably just as well you're not going to buy the house as the owner may've been incredibly hard to work with.

TheMaddHugger Sat 27-May-17 04:45:37

The owner should have been around at the time as she/he would have known the time and that they were expecting the parcel

so... why weren't they out the front waiting for the Postie?

kmc1111 Sat 27-May-17 06:35:34

Possibly it was something quite sensitive so she got a bit of a shock it was handed over to a total stranger.

But you did nothing wrong signing for it.

PiesDescalzos Sat 27-May-17 06:49:56

It was close to 1pm and still hadn't arrived? I'd have been hanging around the door to make sure I didn't miss it if it was important. House viewers or not.

So her answer should have been thank you. Glad I didn't miss it.

Don't give it much thought, you did nothing wrong.

Intransige Sat 27-May-17 06:55:12

So a person that she hopes will part with hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy her house just did her a favour by signing for her urgent parcel, while in the house (so not a "stranger"), and she decides the best course of action is to be rude and standoffish. Okaaaay.

hellokittymania Sat 27-May-17 07:22:21

I don't think you did anything wrong.

Beachhairdontcare Sat 27-May-17 07:41:43

You did her a massive favour. She should have been thanking you profusely!

ittakes2 Sat 27-May-17 07:42:09

I would have been grateful to you, yanbu

CondensedMilkSarnies Sat 27-May-17 07:45:23

I reckon it's a divorce situation - she doesn't want to sell , the parcel is for the husband and she was hoping he'd miss it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now