Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to raise money for charity!

(34 Posts)
applepiespy Fri 26-May-17 20:17:53

No one seems to be interested in a bunch of teenagers raising money for charity. Bake sales / fundraising at school isn't an option. Has anyone got any fundraising ideas ?

Thanks

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 26-May-17 20:20:56

Is there any local fund raising drives for the cause you want to raise for you could take part in sponsored? (just thinking how its the great manchester run this weekend, not sure if you choose your own charity to run for or if its specific)
Could you try setting up a go fund me type web page for donations?
Are any of you crafty with enough time to dedicate to making things, even like friendship bracelets etc, and setting up a facebook selling page?

DrCoconut Fri 26-May-17 20:21:00

Enter a fun run and get sponsored? Bag packing at a supermarket? Car boot sale?

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 26-May-17 20:22:57

If it is a larger or well known charity, could you contact them and ask for ideas? Some have materials they can send you to set up a fundraising activity.
It would possibly help generate ideas if you could say which charity/charities it is you're looking to support?

applepiespy Fri 26-May-17 20:23:54

Thank you for the suggestions - it's not for me , wish I was a teenager again!

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 26-May-17 20:23:59

Other option is if whilst it is the summer break, could you get a part time job for the summer and donate a percentage of your pay to the charity?

applepiespy Fri 26-May-17 20:24:45

They're raising money for Together For Short Lives . They've tried sponsored events and only raised £50

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 26-May-17 20:24:58

ah cross post.
I would like to say though, it is lovely to see/hear teenagers wanting to get involved and raise money for charities so big well done to them for caring!

PeppaIsMyHero Fri 26-May-17 20:25:11

Some supermarkets (Co-op, Waitrose) allocate a fund to a local charity every month (or so). You have to be an actual charity and then selected, but you can make a few hundred.

MelanieCheeks Fri 26-May-17 20:27:31

Run a fashion show. Get people to donate clothes they are no longer wearing, host a fashion show event with wine and nibbles, see if you can persuade a local sleb to compete. Charge for entry, sell the clothes and jewellery and accessories afterwards.

MelanieCheeks Fri 26-May-17 20:28:14

Compere....

hellokittymania Fri 26-May-17 20:36:32

I love the fashion show idea! I run a very small charity of my own and we usually sell things and use the money from that to put towards projects. In the very early years, we did a very simple dinner, demonstration of really cool things that people with disabilities use, and We sold trinkets from Vietnam and cupcakes. Very random, but fun and enjoyable.

Since I now know what coffee mornings are, but have never done one personally, could you maybe do a coffee morning and invite friends.

teapotter Fri 26-May-17 20:36:58

It really depends on your social network and skills. People will spend a lot more on charity if they also get something they're interested in. So selling home made jewellery, toys or plants, or running a ceilidh or disco (do these still exist?!) or fashion show. Busking if it's legal where you are. Babysitting or car washing. Good on them for caring.

VelvetThunder Fri 26-May-17 20:45:40

We're trying to raise money for a not very well known charity. So far we have sold some homemade cupcakes, had stalls handing out leaflets and business cards in places such as coop, we've sold merchandise such as bracelets supplied by the charity and have money collection pots. We shall be selling items too and have some other projects running in order to raise money.
It's all about raising awareness too, so we have set up for example a Facebook page explaining what we're all about with links to a just giving page and to the charity pages so people can make donations themselves through that.

applepiespy Fri 26-May-17 21:04:05

Thank you,there's some great suggestions here.

The only problem with things like a fashion show is booking somewhere to hold as their to young to work and can't afford it .
I've offered to sell bacon butties at work .

bigbluebus Fri 26-May-17 21:21:20

For a fashion show venue, are there any local sports clubs (rugby/cricket ) who have function rooms and a bar that they might be able to get free of charge. a club near us does this for charity events as they then make a profit on the bar takings which would normally be quite quiet on a weekday night!

Heathen4Hire Fri 26-May-17 21:43:46

Last september I walked the Circle Line in London. It took me nine hours and seriously bad foot injuries afterwards, but I raised £300 for the Churchill Hospital in Oxford. I blanket emailed my colleagues, put up flyers and linked my JustGiving page to all my social media.

If I were to do something like that again I would probably rope in my husband so we could get more sponsors, and ask our employers to promote the cause.

My kid's PTA uses a clothes recycling scheme and an online cash rebate scheme (the names escape me) to raise a bit of money. They also run book clubs, cake sales and hold an annual rock concert, with the children being the stars! Alongside the rock concert they sell t-shirts to go along with the event, beer and pop, and hot dogs.

specialsubject Fri 26-May-17 21:47:24

Do something useful but unpopular.

Litter pick, dog poo clear up, fixing stuff, mowing lawns, weeding.

Tidies up, helps out and doesn't create useless crap.

Leeds2 Fri 26-May-17 21:59:37

Sign up to easy fundraising. If your charity is accepted, you make money from people buying on line (Amazon, M&S, loads of companies). You then need to persuade people to support them (it doesn't cost the buyer anything). I do know someone who has raised a lot for her charity just by her weekly online supermarket shop.
A car boot sale might do it.
Run a quiz evening at school. For parents or kids, or both!
My DD and her friends raised a small amount of money by charging for doing nails and make up ahead of a disco/fifth form leavers do type thing.
Sell stuff on eBay.

IrrationalAnthem Fri 26-May-17 22:08:26

I run a tiny charity and we raised a phenomenal £600 with a books & bakes sale on our drive. All books were donated, by people keen to pass their old reads on. The hard work was in promoting the event, we leafleted door to door, put posters up (with permission) emailed the local,primary schools (who put it in their newsletters) tweeted ferociously & even managed to get the local newspaper Interested.

April229 Fri 26-May-17 22:39:57

Contact local businesses asking for donations for a hamper / goods to raffle?

applepiespy Fri 26-May-17 22:50:04

Thank you all.

They've been in contact with a local attraction who said they can help fundraise but they need to get back to them and let them know how they can help . They're thinking of getting the venue to charge a bit more than usual on the day and include pizza and juice in this and give out prizes. Just need to work out how much it would cost them to do pizza and drinks

FrancisCrawford Fri 26-May-17 22:56:00

Get them to do something that takes time and commitment and benefits the local community.

Sponsored litter pick/beach tidy.

2014newme Fri 26-May-17 22:56:17

Car washing
Babysitting
Bring and buy sale

FrancisCrawford Fri 26-May-17 22:59:49

The venue idea isn't a good one.

Why should people pay extra if they don't want pizza or drinks?
Where are they getting the pizza and drinks from and how are they funding this?
How will they cook the pizzas and keep the drinks cold?
Where are they getting the plates and cups from?
Who is going to do the washing up?

And what exactly will they be doing to raise the funds in terms of a personal commitment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now