Talk

Advanced search

To say Hull is bloody brilliant

(86 Posts)
callmehannahbaker Fri 26-May-17 18:53:57

It is city of culture this year and is putting on such a show.

It gets such a bad press-people need to give Hull a chance!

porridgetits Fri 26-May-17 19:09:07

YANBU. There is so much going on!

bigbluebus Fri 26-May-17 19:19:09

I agree. We went to visit the Uni with DS a few months ago. We were taken on a bus tour of the city with a tour guide. It has a lot going for it and is such a friendly place. Hoping DS will be going there in September so likely we will be visiting again, as we loved it too.

lessthanBeau Fri 26-May-17 19:25:49

Awww, you guys.... Its my home towngrin

BarbarianMum Fri 26-May-17 19:28:15

We're taking the Hull - Rotterdam ferry in a couple of months and planning to spend a full day in Hull on our return. Ive been to the Deep loads of times but never into town. Any recommendations?

glitterglitters Fri 26-May-17 19:29:10

Hull is awesome. I work in travel writing and there is so much cool stuff to do there this year.

NurseScorne Fri 26-May-17 19:29:22

Ferens art gallery and the museum quarter

MissionItsPossible Fri 26-May-17 19:35:13

Must admit it's not a place I would have thought "Ooh, now there's somewhere in the UK I'd like to visit" but seeing these early replies makes me think I should check it out soon smile

boldlygoingsomewhere Fri 26-May-17 19:41:17

I love Hull! I'm glad its having a chance to shine and show people all the good bits. It gets a bad press and is often dismissed by people who have never been there.

NurseScorne Fri 26-May-17 19:42:17

To be fair, a lot of it is an absolute shit hole. You just don't get to see those bits with city of culture.

TheFifthKey Fri 26-May-17 19:43:12

The shit bits are no more or less shit than the equivalent places in other cities, though.

ButtonMooooon Fri 26-May-17 19:44:21

I am Hull born and bred. This happened today:

http://m.hulldailymail.co.uk/lindy-hoppers-delight-crowds-as-hull-s-dancing-fountains-officially-opened-in-queen-victoria-square/story-30355854-detail/story.html

I bloody love Hull grin

c3pu Fri 26-May-17 19:46:03

I tried to drive to Hull the other day, but I accidentally typed "Hell" into my satnav.

Still got me there though.
grin

NurseScorne Fri 26-May-17 19:47:47

Before city of culture the town centre was more or less abandoned. You could walk around it on a Saturday afternoon and it would feel like a Sunday morning. Majority of West Hull is an absolute war zone, east Hull isn't much better. North Hull has some decent areas but that's about it. When someone asks where they should visit whilst in Hull I struggle to think of anywhere.

City of Culture has been great for the city but it's a shame it took that for them to actually make an effort with it.

Wecks Fri 26-May-17 19:48:15

I live near Hull. It's a place like no other grin

outabout Fri 26-May-17 19:50:18

Nice place to spend a few hours while waiting for the ferry to get you out of England.

hellokittymania Fri 26-May-17 19:54:31

The only reason I know about whole is because there is a Thai Embassy there. Or consulate brother.

I had no idea it was the city of culture! I will have to get online and look what's going on there. I have to go to The only reason I know about hole is because there is a Thai Embassyr there. Or consulate brother.

I had no idea it was the city of culture! I will have to get online and look what's going on there. I have to go to Holland in June, how long does the whole Rotterdam ferry take? The conference I'm attending starts on a Monday I believe, so I could spend a few days in the hole over the weekend and take the ferry sorry, using dictation and I don't think it can say home. HULL.

Imfinehowareyou Fri 26-May-17 19:55:49

Can't believe no one has mentioned Spiders nightclub yet!! Or Yankee Burger!

PhilODox Fri 26-May-17 20:02:32

I know- Brian told me I'd love it, and he was so right! wink

ButtonMooooon Fri 26-May-17 20:06:45

I miss LAs sad

MimsyBorogroves Fri 26-May-17 20:07:27

Sadly Yankee Burger (the one with the pink car) shut down ages ago - but we now have Dope Burger which is awesome.

I love hull. My hometown - I have moved away a few times but always returned. It has its notorious areas (where doesn't?) but it's a place like no other, and I am very proud to be a local.

ollieplimsoles Fri 26-May-17 20:11:16

Born and brought up in hull, now live just outside.

I love the diversity, yes it has its problem areas, but where doesn't!
>waves at the other hullion mnetters<

HotelEuphoria Fri 26-May-17 20:12:25

DD is on placement at the HRI and stays at the ibis there. The staff are lovely. Shoutout to the fab staff at the Ibis city centre, the girls are back next week!

Smeaton Fri 26-May-17 20:13:15

I tell ye what

There's only two types of folk in this world, people who love 'Ull and people that have never been.

Hulls great, one of my favourite cities in the UK.

ollieplimsoles Fri 26-May-17 20:13:22

Christ Spiders, many a night in there.

Lets not forget Pozition, if you're really heading for a classy night out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now