Talk

Advanced search

School educating about child sexual exploitation

(8 Posts)
ASauvingnonADay Fri 26-May-17 18:25:20

What age do you think schools should talk to students about CSE/grooming? Obviously age appropriate, but do you think Y7 is fine? Primary? Or not until older?
And tying in with the recent Three Girls, what age would you able your children/teens to watch it?

I'm happy with Y7 hearing about it, although not sure about Three Girls. A local police officer told one of our students that she couldn't watch it until she was 16, but I don't agree.

LuluLovesFruitcakes Fri 26-May-17 18:32:04

I think they should be taught the basics as young as they can understand it. So consent, bodily autonomy and that kind of thing should be taught along with first words. I think by the end of y6 beginning of y7 they should be aware of and talking about healthy boundaries and relationships and grooming.

I've not watched three girls however so can't comment on that.

RestlessTravellerTheSequel Fri 26-May-17 18:49:36

As a social worker who has dealt CSE I would say they should teach kids to recognise grooming as you as possible.

Sirzy Fri 26-May-17 18:51:57

as others have said age appropriately from an early age.

Important for children to undetsrand "private areas" and the importance of being aware who they are talking to online from a young age. To wait until they are teens, especially older teens, could easily be too late for some sadly

TheSkyAtNight Fri 26-May-17 19:29:56

Teens are far too late. Grooming must be taught early. I can't remember not knowing about 'stranger danger' growing up
In the 80s. The message has to become more sophisticated as we learn more about what poses harm to children.

EvilTwins Fri 26-May-17 20:26:10

It's absolutely essential from an early age. Yes to age appropriate but by the time DC get to secondary school I think it's important not to wrap them in cotton wool too much. There is an excellent theatre in education piece called Chelsea's Choice that's been around for about 5 years and has performed all over the UK. It's pretty hard hitting and is done for yr 8 as they are statistically the most vulnerable age group. DH is a consultant for the govt and is working on a project aiming to improve the impact of work to prevent CSEA. He says there is a lot to be done to educate young people - it's a big missing jigsaw piece at the moment.

WombatStewForTea Fri 26-May-17 21:20:12

I teach year 6. This year for the first time we are teaching it explicitly rather than just through SRE. I'm not sure but I think it might be statutory.
Anyway it can only be a good thing.
The resource we're using has been created by the police and a charity. It's really good. Doesn't actually mention grooming or anything but it is all to do with reading intent.
As an adult you can see more into it but for the children recognising people's intentions is a really good way into it.

ASauvingnonADay Fri 26-May-17 21:37:41

Wombat that is really interesting. I'm glad the consensus seems to be that it is positive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now