Talk

Advanced search

To get rid of cleaner? [Pic]

(41 Posts)
BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 26-May-17 15:41:58

Yesterday my cleaner(s) came. It's a local business run by one woman who gets others to work with her. I pay for 3 hours fortnightly, and we get either 3 or 2 people coming in for 1 or 1.5 hours. This happens when DH and I are both at work, and the main woman isn't always there. We pay afterwards by bank transfer.

Last night I opened a tin of half used lip balm by my bed to find someone had gouged it with a finger. It's a Vaseline tin so no way the lid would have come off accidentally. I didn't do it and I'm sure it wasn't DH. I used it in the morning before work and it was fine then.

This feels incredibly intrusive and I lay awake before going to sleep, just thinking about someone going through my stuff.

I want to stop using this business. Do I tell her the truth, or just say we can't afford it any more? I won't see her so I won't be able to do it face to face. Should I change my front door lock, given that several different people will have had access to the key? I feel really icky about it all, and bad about having to tell her (because I do trust her and I'm sure she didn't do it).

Help!

FatOldBag Fri 26-May-17 15:45:05

Tell the truth. She may save it happening with other clients if she gets to see what one of her cleaners is like.

brexitstolemyfuture Fri 26-May-17 15:46:31

Those kids can come off when you drop it

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 26-May-17 16:48:44

Thanks.

I have carpet in my bedroom, I was just trying to envisage a scenario where it got dropped, the lid fell off and someone grabbed it... even then wouldn't you smooth it over rather than just leaving it? :/

19lottie82 Fri 26-May-17 16:51:52

Have you got any DCs? If yes then I would imagine it was prob one of them rather than the cleaner?

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 26-May-17 16:53:22

No I haven't lottie. Sorry, should have mentioned that!

MumIsRunningAMarathon Fri 26-May-17 16:53:30

Looks like it's melted?

FilledSoda Fri 26-May-17 16:56:33

Tell her, if I was her I'd want to know

Livedandlearned Fri 26-May-17 16:57:52

It does look like it's melted and gone over to one side. That's a big blob of lipbalm to take.

acquilegiannie Fri 26-May-17 16:59:42

No proof it was the cleaner at all is there?

If that is all that is concerning you love, you need to chill out.

It would be different if your vodka/gin bottle levels had diminished. But that's always the kids fault (teenagers ) anyway, hence my tendency to mark the level ha ha.

Sack the cleaner because a little tub of vaseline MAY have been used by the cleaner.

FFS.

But ok, just sack her, get another, and feck off with the drama. We don't need to read this shyte honestly, we don't.

Geoid Fri 26-May-17 17:00:00

Looks like it's melted and as you've unscrewed the cap a piece has come away with the cap - hence the little sharp bit in what you are referring to as the 'finger splodge'. What does the cap look like?

requestingsunshine Fri 26-May-17 17:00:19

Its a bit odd. If someone was going to use your lip balm, surely they would have made sure there were no tell tale signs in it, so to speak. It is possible it fell off and then this happened when the cleaner picked it up. Also it does look like its melted.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 26-May-17 17:00:48

I didn't think of that, but it really does look like a finger has been jabbed into it. Also I'm sure it was lying flat when I picked it up, not at an angle. It's been similarly warm today, so I'll see if it looks any different when I get home. This is the thing - I'm doubting myself, because it seems so ridiculous.

user1471858017 Fri 26-May-17 17:01:07

Surely there is a fingerprint in it if it was a finger?

DearMrDilkington Fri 26-May-17 17:02:13

It looks like it's melted.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 26-May-17 17:02:33

acquile right. Obviously this isn't about the value of the item or what it is. It's that it looks like someone has been poking around for no reason. You'd be fine with that would you?

Thanks to the people who've suggested it might be to do with the heat.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 26-May-17 17:03:45

I think it looks like it's melted too. That's also far more likely than the cleaner taking a chunk out of it.

ScarlettFreestone Fri 26-May-17 17:05:23

acquile I think that's harsh. The value of the item is hardly the point.

Lottie is trusting her home to this company unsupervised. If one of the cleaning team did in fact do this, it's not a great sign of their standards of either honesty or hygiene. Two things which are pretty key in cleaners.

Lottie I'd double check with your DH first. Assuming it definitely wasn't him I'd speak to the business owner.

And yes, I'd change my locks - just for peace of mind.

ElphabaStrop Fri 26-May-17 17:05:25

YABU to sack her without any proof.

YABU that this tiny issue feels so "intrusive" that you're losing sleep over it, tbh. You haven't been burgled!

It might have melted.

Have you had cleaners before? Some people just don't like other people in their home while they're not there. No shame in that.

Redredredrose Fri 26-May-17 17:07:35

If you feel disgusted at the thought if someone using your lip balm, what on earth makes you think one of your cleaners would be ok with using someone else's lip balm? Who is that desperate for smooth lips that they'd share with an unknown? You must think they're fairly skanky, which is insulting in itself.

SweetLuck Fri 26-May-17 17:08:05

You're being ridiculous. If the cleaner had done it she wouldn't have left any evidence. I used to be a chambermaid grin

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 26-May-17 17:08:42

I know it's a tiny issue in the scheme of things, but IF someone did put their fingers in it then that is bloody weird and yes, feels intrusive to me.

We were burgled recently (garage not house) so maybe I am a bit on edge.

We've had these cleaners for a year and a half.

acquilegiannie Fri 26-May-17 17:10:16

If there was incontrovertable proof that the cleaner stuck her digit into the tiny tub, well that's another matter.

There is NO PROOF.

I would let it go and keep an eye out. Is there form or anything for interference with other stuff? I'm guessing no.

I do not like these accusations. If I was up before the beak for murder, I would be deemed innocent until proven guilty.

A teeny tub of lip gloss. Get real will you all. And get PROOF too. Whew.

I have a feeling that the cleaner may not be getting down and dirty with a nail brush on the skirting boards or some expectation like that. This is the opportunity!

Sorry I am being tongue in cheek. Sack her now.

Fliptophead Fri 26-May-17 17:10:35

It doesn't look melted to me and I don't think it would look that way anyway. I'd leave it though as I also think the cleaner wouldn't have done that as it's a bit stupid. Are you sure it's not from you?

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 26-May-17 17:12:25

Red I don't think anyone has used it. Of course no one needs to use that much lip balm. I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of someone has deliberately damaged it. I do KNOW that's ridiculous which is why I'm feeling so weird about it.

I don't think it melted as it hasn't all gathered in one place if you see what I mean? There is a chunk missing. I will check properly when I get home though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now