Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to lie about DD's age?

(46 Posts)
StylesFamily Fri 26-May-17 13:33:39

DD wants to start gymnastics. She has just turned 16. She would have to be in the adult gymnastics class, which is not structured and you just go around and pick what you do on your own. She could do the teen class 13-15 where it is still structured and do that for a year and then she'd know enough to practise on her own.

WIBU?

CaulkheadUpNorf Fri 26-May-17 13:35:45

Are there no other classes anywhere else?

nina2b Fri 26-May-17 13:36:15

Yes.

RedSkyAtNight Fri 26-May-17 13:36:36

Would your 16 year old really want to be in the younger category?

I wouldn't lie about her age, I might ask if it was possible for her to join the other group instead.
I imagine that the adult group still supports the participants - no way will they be able to just let beginners loose on the equipment with no training or guidance

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 26-May-17 13:36:41

How do you plan to hide her age? You would have to remember to write the wrong birthday on every form. Bit unfair if she's a yr older than the max age doing competitions etc

StylesFamily Fri 26-May-17 13:36:43

@CaulkheadUpNorf unfortunately no adult ones that are structured.

Cocklodger Fri 26-May-17 13:37:18

Yes YABU. She may well drop herself in it a few weeks in and be asked to leave having started to love it and made friends.
So I really wouldn't do it for that reason alone

StylesFamily Fri 26-May-17 13:37:27

@Gileswithachainsaw I doubt she would be ready for a competition in a year!

@RedSkyAtNight she has asked...

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 26-May-17 13:38:11

Yes, YWBU. put her in a beginners class, I find it hard to believe the only option as a teenager is a class where you are just totally on your own.

RedSkyAtNight Fri 26-May-17 13:39:06

Well if she's already asked about whether she can join the younger group as a 16 year old ... I'm not sure the gym will believe you if you subsequently claim she's 15!

CondensedMilkSarnies Fri 26-May-17 13:40:34

Don't tell lies - it just leads to messy situations- tell one lie and you always have to tell another. I also would t want to encourage my DD to lie either. Why doesn't she try the adult group ? She might like it and it's her that's going after all.

StylesFamily Fri 26-May-17 13:40:58

@RedSkyAtNight no she has asked me! Not the gym... I was just answering to the bit that said would she even want to be with the younger ones.

CaulkheadUpNorf Fri 26-May-17 13:41:41

Is it likely there will be other people from her school there?

StylesFamily Fri 26-May-17 13:42:19

@HarrietKettleWasHere really glad you know where I live and how little adult classes there are. The 2 gymnastics classes for kids go up to 16, the other doesn't have an adult option and the other is the one I'm talking about and isn't structured

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 26-May-17 13:43:42

Alright, don't get snippy. I think you just wanted all the posters to tell you to go for it and pop her in the 13-15 class bet it's cheaper too

Kokusai Fri 26-May-17 13:43:53

Meh who would know? Just put her down as age 15 into the teenager beginner class

CondensedMilkSarnies Fri 26-May-17 13:43:53

is it a gym or actual gymnastics?

Hotwaterbottle1 Fri 26-May-17 13:45:06

Are you totally sure there is no structure? There must at least be instruction as you could seriously damage yourself otherwise?

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 26-May-17 13:45:29

Meh who would know? Just put her down as age 15 into the teenager beginner class

Well best hope there's no accident then and gym ask for a discharge letter from the fracture clinic or something

MissBax Fri 26-May-17 13:46:09

I'd be very careful as it'll be to do with their insurance or something similar.

StylesFamily Fri 26-May-17 13:46:41

@HarrietKettleWasHere I'm not being snippy  no, it's more expensive!! Due to outfits and other stuff you have to buy.

@CondensedMilkSarnies gymnastics.

CondensedMilkSarnies Fri 26-May-17 13:46:48

If it's gymnastics classes surely there must be a teacher? How do people know what to do otherwise?

I've got a vision in my head of Victoria Wood characters doing random roly polys and flirting about wafting ribbons grin

CondensedMilkSarnies Fri 26-May-17 13:47:47

*Flitting

Fliptophead Fri 26-May-17 13:48:01

Do they not need any info about your daughter to sign up?

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 26-May-17 13:48:18

Fair enough but from a safety/insurance point of view aside from anything else I think you'd be mad to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now