Advanced search

To ask if you would do this is as a doctor?

(26 Posts)
Doctorinthehouse Fri 26-May-17 09:00:04

I need a medical note to show my work for a condition I have been suffering from, which has affected my ability to properly concentrate etc. I am not currently in the area where my doctors surgery is based so have asked for a telephone appointment in order to get a doctors note. Essentially what I am asking for is evidence that I was on xyz medication (I then independently came off it a couple of months ago, which is where the problems started) - and evidence of the effects that all of this can have. Do you think that is fair?

Doctorinthehouse Fri 26-May-17 09:00:49

The receptionist I spoke to this morning said it was at the doctors discretion to do this. I am very concerned as I do really require evidence of the above

VolunteerAsTribute Fri 26-May-17 09:06:03

I'm not a Dr, but you're asking them to write something of which they have no knowledge.

They have no idea if you independently came off them or not.

A medical note for your condition should be fine as would giving info of the prescription.

They won't write a lengthy essay outlining the effects that the drug can have. The onus is on your employer to research this should they be looking for proof contrary to your statement.

IME, Drs write something along the lines of;

Mrs. X was seen on dd/mm/yyyy complaining of xyz.

She was diagnosed with zyx and the treatment is abc.

abc may be medication, rest, leave of absence etc.

Doctorinthehouse Fri 26-May-17 09:08:36

Thanks. Oh dear - I'm not sure how else I can prove this to my work? The mediation am I on is well known for taking time to adjust to, and I was hoping that he could write something about the withdrawal period.

VolunteerAsTribute Fri 26-May-17 09:16:19

Why do you need to prove anything? Are you asking for time off work? If so, they can do that and may write

"Mrs X was prescribed paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin on dd/mm/yyyy

They will stop taking it on dd/mm/yyyy. The side effects of this are xyx and we prescribe [leave of absence etc]"

If you're looking to excuse performance in the past then this is at the Dr's discretion as they will be taking your word for you independently coming off the medication. They may confirm the prescription but not that you stopped taking it.

Why do you want the note? Evidence in a disciplinary or to combat concerns about your recent performance or something else?

RB68 Fri 26-May-17 09:17:34

Do you have the medicine instruction leaflet - should be on there.

goodnessidontknow Fri 26-May-17 09:18:13

How about printing your prescription list as proof and providing information about the side affects in the form of the leaflet that comes with the medicine? You can print pdf copies if you don't have the original. If you are experiencing well known withdrawal symptoms there should be official data you can provide about it in the form of medical journals.
Why did you stop the medication? It must be tough going if you're still experiencing withdrawal and stressful trying to justify your position to your employer.

Fastfrickinforwards Fri 26-May-17 09:23:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fortybingowings Fri 26-May-17 09:25:59

A GP can do this but it has to take low priority after seeing the sick and dealing with emergencies home visits etc etc. Be prepared to pay the standard private fee for a letter (the receptionist will tell you how much) Also- be prepared for it to take 7-10 days average

CaulkheadUpNorf Fri 26-May-17 09:26:48

Is the issue that you've independently come off medication and therefore are suffering without it, or you need something saying you have xxxx condition, which the doctor believes you're treating with medication prescribed?

It sounds like you've had issues coming off the medication before you were ready.

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Fri 26-May-17 09:30:26

DH did this when he was prescribed antidepressants.

He didn't book an appointment, just spoke to the receptionist who gave a note to the doctor, who did it at the end of the day and left it with reception for DH to pick up.

Cloudhopping Fri 26-May-17 09:31:53

Ask for a referral to occupational health instead. They are the experts in how health can impact on work.

DontFuckingSayIt Fri 26-May-17 09:34:58

I think the GPs at the surgery I work at would do this, but as a PP said, there would be a charge (usually around £10) and it would take a week or more to be completed. The letter would look something like

"Doctorinthehouse is registered with my practice and suffers with ... for which I prescribed ... on (date).
Doctorinthehouse tells me she stopped taking the medication on (date). Stopping this medication abruptly can cause ... ".

DJBaggySmalls Fri 26-May-17 09:35:06

Contact ACAS today. It may be that your employer is acting incorrectly.

The Acas helpline number is 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday 8am-8pm, Tuesday 8am-6pm, Wednesday to Thursday 8am-8pm, Friday 8am-6pm and Saturday 9am-1pm.

'Fit for Work';

PeanutButterJellyTimeforTea Fri 26-May-17 09:40:32

How can the dr assert that you came off your meds when they have no knowledge of you doing so and it wasn't on the advice of the dr? I can't imagine that they would write this letter for you, no.

Witchend Fri 26-May-17 09:41:31

I'm not quite sure what the note is for.

What it wounds like to me is:
You were prescribed medication for a condition you have
You chose to come off it a couple of months ago
You now are suffering from the condition because you've come off the medication.

Now, this is probably because I'm totally missing what you're actually saying (sorry) but surely the doctor would say "Why aren't you taking the medication I prescribed?" and when you say "I decided not to" say "well, I can't write a note telling the work they've got to make medical allowances for you if you won't take the medicine that helps you".

Now I'm guessing that there was good reason for stopping. The issue probably is whether you went to the doctors and told them the good reason-thus allowing them to change the medication/adjust the dose which would mean they can put "stopped due to XYZ side effects" or whatever. Or whether you just stopped in which case, however right you were, they may feel it's self inflicted.

I suggest your best bet (or it would be at our surgery) is to ask the doctor who originally prescribed for you, to ring you and discuss it. Then you know where you are to go forward.
Our doctors would be very happy to do this.

Epipgab Fri 26-May-17 10:06:01

I'm wondering if the pharmacy might print out a copy of what you had?

putdownyourphone Fri 26-May-17 10:08:48

You can ask for the package insert of the medication (sometimes you can find them on the pharmaceutical brands website I.e GSK) print it off, it will list the side effects

Nestofvipers Fri 26-May-17 10:33:36

Do you think that is fair?

No. As PPs have said, your GP cannot write confirming something they have no evidence or knowledge of.

They have no idea whether you independently came off the medication or not. How would they know this? I'm also not sure how writing a letter stating you came off a medication independently and without your doctors advice and suffered adverse effects as a consequence of your own decision would help you anyway. They're certainly not going to confirm you came off it independently a few months ago and this is where the problems started without them having anything regarding this already documented in your medical records.

As PP has said, this is not NHS GP work so there is likely to be a charge for any letter and it'll be done when they have time as a low priority after NHS work.

While I do sympathise with your predicament, the fact that you're not sure how else you can prove it to work and need evidence, doesn't make it your GPs problem or responsibility.

Notalotterywinner Fri 26-May-17 10:43:24

I think that you need to just make an appointment, its not your GP nor employers fault that you are out of area whilst off sick. Have you self certified for a week?

It really is at the discretion of the GP, if they haven't seen you in relation to your withdrawal then they can't comment, equally they may want to check that you are ok.

JustMumNowNotMe Fri 26-May-17 10:45:17

Yes as PP said occ health is your friend here. Ask work to refer you to an OHP and they will assess this for you and provide a feedback report to your employer.

Doctorinthehouse Fri 26-May-17 11:46:44

No im not off work but do need to evidence of the condition asap. If they can write a letter saying I suffer from then that would be very helpful. I do understand what you're all saying re withdrawal - essentially I was doing a tapered withdrawal and hadn't realised how much it would affect me. Tapered withdrawals are medically advised. I am in a very stressful period work and would need a letter stating this to qualify for special circumstances offered by my employer

Doctorinthehouse Fri 26-May-17 11:48:07

Can anyone advise further? I don't think it is a waste of my GPs time. It is a medical condition impairing my ability and I am asking for medical evidence. I will be pr are to pay for it

aginghippy Fri 26-May-17 12:00:00

No im not off work but do need to evidence of the condition asap.

Are your employers demanding this evidence from you? If yes, they need to refer you to occupational health. As pp have said, this is not something that NHS GPs do.

PeanutButterJellyTimeforTea Fri 26-May-17 12:03:00

Tapered withdrawals are medically advised

Yours wasn't though, and no dr will write you a letter saying it was.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: