Talk

Advanced search

to think 'I don't drive' is not a valid excuse?

(535 Posts)
peppatax Fri 26-May-17 08:40:22

Two parts to this really, I don't know many adults that don't drive to ask but if you don't drive, can I ask why not?

Second part I guess is if you don't drive, do you expect others to accommodate you or make allowances for you solely on the basis of not driving?

kaytee87 Fri 26-May-17 08:41:40

What is your aibu? An excuse for what?

WitchesGlove Fri 26-May-17 08:42:36

I do drive but I passed at 26.

Before that I couldn't afford lessons and a car/insurance/MOT

I also failed the test several times, each time my confidence shattered.

It's not as simple as you make out

FuckeryOmbudsman Fri 26-May-17 08:43:07

I can drive, but don't run a car.

Can you send me the money to both buy and run one, without wrecking my budget?

dementedpixie Fri 26-May-17 08:43:33

My sister doesn't drive because she can't afford lessons and if she could drive she couldn't afford the cost and upkeep of a car.

DonaldJBottyburp Fri 26-May-17 08:44:19

An excuse for not driving?

What do you mean OP?

ToastDemon Fri 26-May-17 08:44:34

Cos I tried and I'm not very good at it?

Pyjamaface Fri 26-May-17 08:45:05

I can drive but don't have a car as I can't afford one.

I don't expect anyone to run around after me. I walk or get buses/trains or taxis

ShatnersWig Fri 26-May-17 08:45:16

I know someone with epilepsy. They don't drive.

I know someone who was great in lessons but hopeless at the test so after 4 fails gave up.

I know loads of people in London who don't drive because they don't need to.

I know some blind people. They don't drive. Obviously.

What's your actual point?

wowbutter Fri 26-May-17 08:45:29

I didn't drive until I was 25, not through lack of trying. But I couldn't afford to do endless lessons until I passed. So I did blocks of lessons, practised myself, took a test, failed... waited a bit and repeated. I moved out at 17 so it was bloody expensive for me to fund, and yes, it is annoying when people can't drive, but it isn't as simple as thy are too lazy.
I had huge driving anxiety brought in by a crash I was part of, and that is why I kept failing as I was s anxious about being crashed into.

NoSquirrels Fri 26-May-17 08:45:33

Depends.

I didn't drive for years.

I didn't ask for special accommodation particularly, but if visiting someone by public transport eg train, perhaps I'd need a lift to and from the station.

If a trip with toddlers was planned somewhere that needed a car e.g farm park, we'd have to decline.

I'd never arrange something I couldn't get myself to and from, but if I was expected at an event that would be impossible or impractical to manage with public transport then I would need someone to help or accept I couldn't come.

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-May-17 08:45:35

I don't understand the question but I don't know anyone who can't drive.

Wonderflonium Fri 26-May-17 08:45:35

I can't because of dyspraxia. I'm not safe on the road and failed my test twice. So, I live in places with good bus routes.

HeyHoThereYouGo657 Fri 26-May-17 08:45:41

I can drive but have no licence at the moment

I also cannot afford to buy an upkeep a car

HTH

Shoxfordian Fri 26-May-17 08:45:44

I don't drive because I had an accident and since then haven't had a car. I don't need to drive though because I live in London so I don't expect anyone to give me lifts or anything

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 26-May-17 08:46:10

What is the question? What am I making an excuse of?

I don't drive. I'm not sure it's something you can blag confused

It's partly to do with money, a lot to do with a lack of confidence. Do I expect people to make allowances? No I fucking well don't, I'm quite happy to hop on public transport, thank you very much.

Don't be so bloody patrionising.

Smeaton Fri 26-May-17 08:46:12

I didn't learn until I was in my 30s.
Couldn't afford too, had no real reason too.

When I wasn't a driver I'd bit expect people to accommodate me. I'd get buses, taxis, walk etc.

If I had a friend who didn't drive it wouldn't bother me. Why would it? Seems petty. I'd also happily accommodate by driving them, picking then up, giving lifts etc.

What an odd thread.

nixnjj Fri 26-May-17 08:46:15

I lost my best friend on her first trip out after passing her test. It was the other drivers fault but every time I got behind the wheel I have traumatic flashbacks.

No I don't expect others to make exceptions there are other forms of transport

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Fri 26-May-17 08:46:44

I don't drive. I'm just really bad at it.

Don't expect anything from anyone, live in a small town and walk everywhere.

SciFiG33k Fri 26-May-17 08:47:15

I have a licence and a car but I absolutely hate driving. I will only drive if I HAVE to. Otherwise I walk bike taxi. I don't expect anyone to accommodate for me except my husband who I try to make it up to.

LostMyDotBrain Fri 26-May-17 08:47:22

It sounds like this might be about a more specific scenario than you're letting on but you don't want to go into it because it might not show you in the best light.

YouTheCat Fri 26-May-17 08:47:22

I can't drive. I did take lessons but was absolutely dreadful, would have been a liability on the roads and I couldn't afford to keep up the lessons anyway. All my friends took their tests at 17 (funded by their parents) but at the time we had no spare money.

If I was able to drive, I wouldn't be able to afford to run a car. I live in a city with brilliant public transport and see no reason to add to the pollution.

iklboo Fri 26-May-17 08:47:22

The DVLA really aren't keen on me getting behind the wheel with sudden, unpredictable and debilitating vertigo attacks where I lose balance, sight & focus.

Auspiciouspanda Fri 26-May-17 08:47:25

Because it's expensive as fuck if you didn't get lessons handed to you at 17?

Therefore I get the bus and don't expect anyone to give me a lift anywhere.

stripeknee Fri 26-May-17 08:47:32

there are so many reasons why people drive or choose not to drive, health conditions, cost and expense, no where to store a car and many more

i help out my friends and family who do not drive when they need it, if i am in a position to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now