Talk

Advanced search

£30 for "olapex"...is my hairdresser being unreasonable?!

(22 Posts)
Tillymintsmama Thu 25-May-17 22:59:16

I'm due for my colour on a couple if weeks and my hairdresser is now an olapex salon amd wants to charge me £30 on top of £80 colour for this treatment... wtf is it and is it worth it???!

CaulkheadUpNorf Thu 25-May-17 23:00:45

I have it done twice a year. It makes my hair shinier and feel healthier but the shine doesn't last. I pay £25 for it but used to pay £15 at Toni and Guy.

CaulkheadUpNorf Thu 25-May-17 23:01:19

Just to add, usually they ask if I want it and I say no.

Arriettyborrower Thu 25-May-17 23:02:22

I pay £6 for mine, but it's done at home not in the salon. It's made a difference but prob not £30 of difference!

MuncheysMummy Thu 25-May-17 23:03:12

Yes they are! I am a hairstylist and have it in my own hair...the charge here is £10 on top of your usual colour OR £20 as a stand alone service!

MuncheysMummy Thu 25-May-17 23:03:49

Also it's OlapLex not Olapex

piknmixer Thu 25-May-17 23:03:53

It's fantastic - I admit I've never had it done at a salon or added to a colour, but I use the No 3 take home bottle (about £20 on Amazon) and it's done wonders for my bleached hair.

Tillymintsmama Mon 29-May-17 12:11:16

So is it like an intensive conditioner? I could just get a whole bottle myself on Amazon? If it's worth it I would rather do that then spend £30 on a 1 off treatment.

No. It's in 3 parts. The take home bit has the least effect.

The first two parts are done in salon. It's a 'bond multiplier', fixing bonds in your hair to prevent and 'repair' damage from colouring.

I had it done last time I went to a salon and it was brilliant. Makes hair feel thicker and healthier.

But tabu on the price

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 29-May-17 12:25:11

It's an extra £10 at the salon I go to. Never tried it though because I always have a dry cut.

Tillymintsmama Wed 31-May-17 21:19:48

Thanks. Ok so my appt is next Tues, how do I say 'mumsnetters say "£30 is a bit steep' to my 20 something hairdresser who has prob only heard of 'insta'.... haha.

CaulkheadUpNorf Wed 31-May-17 21:21:42

Would you like OlapLex Tilly?

No thank you.

That works for me.

Tillymintsmama Wed 31-May-17 21:30:04

haha caulk i'm so rubbish aren't i? I would probably have it if it was a tenner, like people have said it protects and thickens so that sounds good, but I don't want to be ripped off £30 for it.

CaulkheadUpNorf Wed 31-May-17 21:33:15

I have it sometimes, but not always. I'm sure your stylist will be used to people turning it down, she won't give you a shit cut because she's angry at you or anything.

user1466690252 Wed 31-May-17 21:35:24

I really want this but my mobile hairdresser doesn't use it. Where can I buy it? I thought you had to mix it with the hair dye aswell so it couldn't be a stand alone treatment?

plannedshock Wed 31-May-17 21:44:49

It's between £10-20 at our salon.
It is a pretty expensive outlay for the hairdresser, I'm not sure how you would get on with asking for it cheaper, if that's what they charge...
Can you not have your hair coloured with your regular stylist then have it as a stand alone treatment elsewhere for less?

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Wed 31-May-17 21:47:01

My stylist charges £15 on top of a colour. I gave it a couple of goes but didn't really notice a difference, so I stopped having it. She wasn't offended.

IcingSausage Wed 31-May-17 22:13:23

I was bullied in to having the L'Oreal equivalent (Smart Bond) last time I got my hair coloured OP.

I told him I didn't want it and he said I had to.

An unexpected £45 on top of an already pricey cut and colour. I wanted to cry!

TentUpFirstBunkUpLater Wed 31-May-17 22:24:48

Apologies for not understanding - what is it for; what does it do?

Craiconwithit Wed 31-May-17 22:48:32

Olaplex repairs the broken bonds that break from normal use (hair brushing/washing as well as colouring). So your hair will be stronger, almost like virgin hair.
It's not an external conditioner so it doesn't make your hair feel softer or smoother on its own. That's why many hairdressers add it to an intensive conditioner and it becomes a conditioning treatment. That's what you're paying for.
Olaplex has specially patented ingredients that make it unique. The 'bond' products sold by companies such as L'Oréal are just using similar terminology but can't actually repaid broken bonds so they're just intensive conditioners.
The No.3 take home is a very diluted version of the product (No.1) sold to hairdressers.
Icingsausage adding £45 to your bill for a treatment you didn't want is illegal and you should have refused to pay. I wouldn't go back to a hairdresser who didn't listen and was a bully.

IcingSausage Wed 31-May-17 22:59:42

Thanks Craic, he was a dick.

Thankfully he left soon after my hideously expensive cut so I can still go back to the salon for my free fringe trims. Which I shall continue to do for the rest of my life, or until I feel I've had my money's worth, whichever comes soonest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now