Talk

Advanced search

To feel like ringing the police

(94 Posts)
iluvshoes Thu 25-May-17 22:17:11

So last night and tonight I'm led in bed listening to the child across the road screaming . Windows are open as it's hot and sound travels. Thought it was maybe a bedtime tantrum but its been going on for almost an hour now and I'm a bit worried. Its really loud . What would you do ?

Foxysoxy01 Thu 25-May-17 22:18:38

This may sound odd but is it distressed screaming or mucking about/playing screaming?

Holidaytime17 Thu 25-May-17 22:20:07

You wouldn't want to live next door to us then.

Leanback Thu 25-May-17 22:21:13

If in doubt, ring.

iluvshoes Thu 25-May-17 22:21:30

It sounded like to start with they are struggling to get them to bed but its got louder and the child sounds really distressed. Hysterical screaming and this is the second night.

ClemDanfango Thu 25-May-17 22:22:42

call 101 and sound them out, it's more than likely a bad tantrum but I'd rather call and be wrong than not call and be right!
Does it happen often and do you have any other concerns about the child that's swaying you towards reporting this?

HallowedMimic Thu 25-May-17 22:22:44

I wouldn't call the police.

My autistic child can, and has, screamed for hours. Having the police show up at the door wouldn't have helped at all.

Unless you hear actual violence I would just be thankful you're not having to deal with the child.

Heirhelp Thu 25-May-17 22:22:59

As a previous poster said if you are in doubt the ring the police. It is the only responsible thing to do.

Fruitcorner123 Thu 25-May-17 22:23:29

How old is the child? Are you friendly with the neighbours? It is quite late for a bedtime tantrum as most young children wouldn't be going to bed this late.

Holidaytime17 Thu 25-May-17 22:23:54

Agree with mimic. The neighbours just talk to me though. I am so glad people don't ring te police!

Fruitcorner123 Thu 25-May-17 22:25:14

I would choose speaking to the neighbours tomorrow in preference to reporting things. Obviously that depends on your relationship with them. Could it be night terrors? (Have no experience of night terrors so wouldn't know what they were like)

Smellbellina Thu 25-May-17 22:25:34

How old? Might be sleep training

thatsthewayitgoes Thu 25-May-17 22:25:54

Do you live opposite me OP? I have an 8 year old who is having a battle of wills with me regarding bedtimes and staying in his own bed all night. Our neighbours must think he is being abused the amount he screams and shouts - amazed no one has yet called the police tbh.

hilbil21 Thu 25-May-17 22:26:31

My 2 year old screams the place down every night without fail basically just enraged I have dared to leave his side. Normally lasts about ten minutes but has been known to go on for a LOT longer. I would be horrified if someone phoned the police

Smellbellina Thu 25-May-17 22:27:50

Tbh DS screams terribly at bedtime at the mo if I walk out the room (which I do) due to his developmental age. If someone was concerned I wouldn't be concerned if they reported it.

Holidaytime17 Thu 25-May-17 22:27:51

Tonight my daughter has repeatedly battered her door with a perfume bottle denting all the paint, whilst similtaneously screaming for about half hour.

44PumpLane Thu 25-May-17 22:28:21

Yes how old is the child? We have nearly 6 month old twins and one of them went through a 2.5 week period of screaming when we tried to put her to bed recently.

People must have thought we were murdering her but we were doing everything we could to calm and settle her.

Smellbellina Thu 25-May-17 22:28:50

Ha Xpost hil

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 25-May-17 22:28:55

Fast forward a few hours op. . Will you regret ringing them or not?
If there is an ambulance /police at the house tomorrow will you regret not ringing?
I doubt you will get 'done' for wasting police time. .

Smellbellina Thu 25-May-17 22:32:39

Unless you hear actual violence I would just be thankful you're not having to deal with the child.
What counts as hearing actual violence?

iluvshoes Thu 25-May-17 22:33:40

I don't know them being honest as I'm out at work all day. I think they have only recently moved in as well.

Holidaytime17 Thu 25-May-17 22:34:30

I would talk with them and see if the child has any disabilities or additional needs first

Leanback Thu 25-May-17 22:35:39

I called the police because my neighbour was crying hysterically a few months ago. Didn't hear any violence but turned out she was being stalked. So I was glad I called.

Crumbs1 Thu 25-May-17 22:35:58

They're probably sleep training. unless you have any specific evidence leave well alone.

BillyButtfuck Thu 25-May-17 22:37:19

My 13mo twins are teething and both have been having scream downs before bed this week. They had jabs today and it's bloody hot and DT1 was hysterical tonight.

They're usually good as gold.
It could be completely innocent but if you have a bad feeling idk what to suggest? If I was in trouble and screaming and someone heard, I'd want help.

Not helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now