Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why posters say...

(26 Posts)
Salmotrutta Thu 25-May-17 21:05:03

"I just read this thread to my DH/DP and he said blah, blah blah!"

Why don't these posters just say what they think?

confused

I never read threads out to DH - but I will admit to telling him about the "I'm Angela Hernandez" thread because I knew he'd think that was funny.

QueenMortificado Thu 25-May-17 21:06:35

Yeah this is annoying. It's like "stop! Listen women! A man has spoken!"

I couldn't give a toss what someone's dp thinks

Salmotrutta Thu 25-May-17 21:09:15

That's pretty much what I think.

Even if it's a post about a knobbish man we don't really need another poster's DH to tell us that the person is a knob?

Aridane Thu 25-May-17 21:12:05

Yes, exactly!

mrselizabethdarcy Thu 25-May-17 21:13:50

Totally agree....let's all bow down because A MAN has spoken.

Salmotrutta Thu 25-May-17 21:18:05

I could see the point if it was directly related to an area of expertise that someone's DH happened to have and a poster needed that kind of advice but otherwise? No.

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-May-17 21:20:01

Well I just read your op out to dh and he says he thinks men often bring a different viewpoint and should be listened to and obeyed

Salmotrutta Thu 25-May-17 21:21:35

grin

I'll obey your DH then...not.

Smeaton Thu 25-May-17 21:21:49

I'm a man, I don't bring a different viewpoint, just my own.
I don't see how having a tiny, shrivelled, scarcely used appendage in my boxers makes a difference.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 25-May-17 21:21:59

Only helpful if DH has some sort of professional expertise in whatever the thread is about.

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-May-17 21:22:39

There's nothing worse than when someone qualifies their advice with the fact that their dh works in a related field.
"mil has gone green with yellow spots"
"I'd suggest lesser-spotted leprosy. Dh is a doctor so I know what I'm talking about"
Speak from your own career/experience or just don't!

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-May-17 21:23:39

I need I agree if they've actually been specifically aske!

FreddieFlowerdew Thu 25-May-17 21:23:59

Yes I agree, I don't want to hear what their husband thinks... I enjoy mumsnet because it is mostly women and women's opinions. I'd be on Reddit if I was interested in what men think! It's as if a woman's viewpoint isn't good enough.

I also don't like it when a man posts something derogatory about their wife and people comment that if it were a woman posting, they'd be supported and not criticised hmm

Salmotrutta Thu 25-May-17 21:24:01

If a poster had a plumbing problem and I was married to PigletJohn I might say..."I just spoke to DH".

But that's a perfectly acceptable reason to consult a DH.

CormorantDevouringTime Thu 25-May-17 21:24:20

I think if a third party says something particularly insightful that's new to a thread then I wouldn't necessarily want to take the credit for it.

And sometimes it's relevant that it's a male POV - just like if you give your DM or DD's thoughts their age is sometimes relevant. I see people quoting their DC's comments on threads all the time - especially on teenaged issues.

However in practice I don't often think that things prefaced by "DH says" are particularly great additions. Unless it's to do with the DH's personal/professional experience.

Salmotrutta Thu 25-May-17 21:25:01

Yes ineed - I agree.

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-May-17 21:27:09

Yes, as opposed to aibu to think dh should close the lid when he flushes?
Well I've just asked dh and he thinks your dh is an animal. AN ANIMAL. He says if he lived with you he'd not only close the lid he would clean the entire bathroom till it sparkles every time because that's the least a man should do.
<everyone else> fawn or yawn

MajesticWhine Thu 25-May-17 21:28:06

Smeaton are you trying to make us feel sorry for you. I'm sure it's not that tiny etc grin

I annoy the hell out of DH by sniggering at threads and sometimes read them out to him. He is usually like this hmm

Salmotrutta Thu 25-May-17 21:29:52

I've just seen an example of this "I've just read this to DH..." crap.

About a man child who thinks of he moves into his partners house he shouldn't have to pay rent etc.

Several posters appear to have needed to "read the thread to their DH/DP" then quote what they said.

Like it isn't fucking blatantly obvious to any sentient being what that OP should do.

ChrisPrattsFace Thu 25-May-17 21:31:01

I love reading the bizarre out to DP, he finds them as amusing as me. He has no opinion... that's just how boring our evenings currently are. grin

Millionsmom Thu 25-May-17 21:31:30

I only the thread out to DH when I've snorted several times in quick succession.
DH: Mumsnet??
Me: how'd you guess?
DH: I'm an hexpert.
We've had some fun times, measuring nipple distances, fish finger merits, penis beakers etc. Gave pom bears a miss though.

But I'm missing your point somewhat. OP Sorry hmm

CormorantDevouringTime Thu 25-May-17 21:32:21

Yes that thread there's really no room for sex-based difference of opinion - it's just a question of whether she should ditch him by text or go to the effort of phoning him.

CormorantDevouringTime Thu 25-May-17 21:32:39

Yes that thread there's really no room for sex-based difference of opinion - it's just a question of whether she should ditch him by text or go to the effort of phoning him.

Salmotrutta Thu 25-May-17 21:33:14

Yes Stealth - apparently the disgusting habits of some DHs need some MNers to canvas opinions from their DH before they can give an answer.

Only1scoop Thu 25-May-17 21:37:04

Yanbu
Millions sums it up perfectly.
Cringe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now