Talk

Advanced search

To name my cat a name that my boyfriend and I like for a son!?

(37 Posts)
SpottyDog118 Thu 25-May-17 20:50:20

We have a new kitten and want to name him Jacob grin but that's our top name for a boy. We don't want children for at least another 5 years. AIBU?? To think the now comes before the future.

user1490375610 Thu 25-May-17 20:50:53

Save the name!

FenellaMaxwellsPony Thu 25-May-17 20:51:50

Well cats (should) live a lot longer than 5 years.....

weeblueberry Thu 25-May-17 20:52:28

SAve the name. I used one of my favourite baby names for my cat and always sort of regretted not having the choice when DD was born...

LassWiTheDelicateAir Thu 25-May-17 20:53:31

I had a cat which had the same name as my son. The cat arrived first.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 25-May-17 20:55:03

Oh no op you have divulged your future ds name. . . Now lots of mners are going to steal it!!

SaucyJack Thu 25-May-17 20:57:37

You can always change the cat's name later if it's a problem.

Cat won't give a fuck what you call it. Cats don't answer to humans.

Jakeyboy1 Thu 25-May-17 20:58:23

It's a great name. See my user name. Possibly related to an animal I have! However yeah if will then not be a kid name!

harderandharder2breathe Thu 25-May-17 20:59:00

I had a friend at school who had the same name as the family cat (cat was a rescue and came already named), it was a fun fact type thing rather than a scarred for life thing

MrsGotobed Thu 25-May-17 21:00:27

If you're going to call a cat a "human" name (rather than a cat name like Tiddles) it has to be a name like Alan, Clive or Derek.

PhoenixJasmine Thu 25-May-17 21:02:23

Nah, use it. In the nicest possible way, 5 years is a long time. So many things can change in that time.

MrsGotobed Thu 25-May-17 21:03:31

Also, wouldn't it be a bit confusing if your cat and DS had the same name?

"Jacob sicked up a furball on the rug"
"Jacob bit the boy next door"
"Jacob peed in the corner of the dining room" ......

hazeydays14 Thu 25-May-17 21:04:14

Don't do it!
I did because I never imagined I would have kids but now I can see myself having children with DP and I can't name them after my cat 😂

FreddieFlowerdew Thu 25-May-17 21:06:03

5 years isn't a long time in the life of a cat... and my cats have always known and answered to their names hmm I don't like to repeat names personally so I wouldn't use it but it wouldn't be wrong if you did, its up to you.

HazelBite Thu 25-May-17 21:06:38

The OP may only have daughters!!

LilaBard Thu 25-May-17 21:35:46

I don't think it's weird but then I also tried to get my sister to name her DD in tribute after our dog who had to be pts the year before sooooo what do I know

PhoenixJasmine Thu 25-May-17 21:58:28

What if in 10 years time, this relationship hasn't worked out, perhaps you're married to someone else with totally different taste in names, or only have daughters, or decided you didn't want children after all, and you're snuggling faithful old Felix thinking, I wish I'd called you Jacob smile

acquiescence Thu 25-May-17 22:35:42

Save it. Cats live a lot longer than 5 years! We have the same as we have a cat who has a female name that we would like for a girl, we didn't think that far ahead when we got her. Our lb is Jacob, it's a good one, and hopefully will be less popular in 5 years time!

Mammamooandboo Thu 25-May-17 22:38:52

When i was 12 i named my cat milly as i loved the name. 11 years later i named my daughtet millie as i still love the name. May be weird but she finds it amusing she was named after a cat

FelixtheMouse Thu 25-May-17 22:41:07

It's not illegal to have a child and a cat with the same name is it?

Frillyhorseyknickers Thu 25-May-17 22:46:21

It's not illegal to have a child and a cat with the same name is it?

No, obviously it isn't. hmm but I called my horse Rupert six years ago and it's "ruined" it as a child's name - because I don't want years of hmm when I tell people I've been for a ride on Rupert or that I'm having Rupert scoped for anal ulcers.

PhoenixJasmine Thu 25-May-17 22:50:59

Btw I named a dog 8 yrs ago a name I really really wanted for a child, but XP hated it. Still no children yet, still got the dog, love her name. Now have totally different taste in names for any possible future children with new DP.

mrsbeeton999 Thu 25-May-17 22:54:46

I used my favourite girl's name for our cat. Then my sister had a baby and used the same name for her daughter - so by the time I had a daughter there were 2 reasons not to use it - but I now much prefer the name my daughter ended up with

Lupinhere37 Thu 25-May-17 22:57:51

I've named my girl dog with the girl's name I really regret not using for my daughter. And my boy dog has my favourite boy's name as his middle name, as my DD vetoed it as his first name! The vet tells me that not many pets have middle names.....

KC225 Thu 25-May-17 23:18:33

When I was a child my friends neighbours used to babysit for the Conrans. When she named her new cat Jasper apparently he was not happy and she was dropped

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now