Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to replace my car after six weeks?

(239 Posts)
Tattsyrup Thu 25-May-17 18:53:11

I bought a used car in April and since then I've been trying to convince myself that I like it, but the fact is that I don't like it. I don't want it.
I bought it unseen, having been shown a different vehicle (same make and model, but a slightly flashier version). There was definitely a fair bit of bullshitting from the salesman going on too.
If I sell the car I'll lose around £2000, plus I'd have the expense of replacing it with a car I actually like. I took out a small loan to buy the car, and I owe £4500 on that.
WWYD? AIBU to be considering selling it and buying something better?

Nowthereistwo Thu 25-May-17 18:54:44

Why would you loose £2k or was it new? Could you not exchange it where you bought it

ballerinabelle Thu 25-May-17 18:56:29

What car is it?

Shoxfordian Thu 25-May-17 19:03:34

What don't you like about it? Does it run ok?

Tattsyrup Thu 25-May-17 19:03:38

Nowthere I paid £8,899 for it six weeks ago, and now it's valued at £7000, so a loss of around £2000.
I phoned the car sales customer service this afternoon and they said there are no circumstances they will exchange, refund or buy back a vehicle. Once I'd signed that purchase order, before I'd seen the car, is committed to buy it. No exchanges.

ballerina it's a Vauxhall Astra estate.

sharklovers Thu 25-May-17 19:03:47

Why would you loose £2k

Because she bought it at retail price and will either be trading in or selling privately.

Tazerface Thu 25-May-17 19:08:22

I can't think of a better waste of money. It's a car. It gets you from A to B.

If it bothers you that much then go for it I genuinely can't see the issue. I'm not a car person as you can probably tell!

Tattsyrup Thu 25-May-17 19:12:04

Shox It's just so basic! It runs ok, very nicely in fact, but that's all it does. No air conditioning, manual windows, no Bluetooth connectivity, manual wing mirrors (which are in a fixed position, so can't even be folded in by hand!), and despite it being an estate car, I can't fit the pushchair in the boot.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 25-May-17 19:16:19

Why did you buy it without checking your buggy fitted?

Can you get a McLaren from eBay?

leccybill Thu 25-May-17 19:18:12

How big's your buggy?!

Phoebefromfriends Thu 25-May-17 19:19:52

God I've considered the same with mine which is a punto it's just so bloody slow, I'm not a boy racer but I live in Cornwall and sometimes the only place to overtake a tractor is up hill and my car can't go enough to get past. I have all the mod cons but they don't make up for the bumpy ride, which can make me feel sick and I NEVER get car sick. I've decided to leave it for now as it would be such a waste of money and its more reliable than my last car.

How big is your buggy that it won't fit in an estate? Could you leave it for a few months and see how you get on?

Tattsyrup Thu 25-May-17 19:20:05

Giles it is a Maclaren! The car I initially viewed was a different edition, and the pushchair did fit in that one, but only just.

hibbledobble Thu 25-May-17 19:22:13

I would get a new buggy, far cheaper than a new car!

I'm surprised that for just shy of 9000 you don't get electric windows though. What car is it?

Our older car cost under 1000, and had electric windows!

ballerinabelle Thu 25-May-17 19:25:38

I was going to say keep it but I had an Astra and fucking hated it.

Get rid! grin

Tattsyrup Thu 25-May-17 19:26:40

It's an Astra estate, a 2016 model, but the absolute most basic edition you could imagine. Four wheels and doors and nothing else, not even a spare tyre!

Tazerface Thu 25-May-17 19:27:08

Jesus I agree with hibble you've been done. Our 15 year old zafira cost a grand two years ago and has air con and electric windows.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 25-May-17 19:30:45

2016 shock

I have a 2010 fiesta that cost less has electric windows at the front a spare tyre and would fit a buggy.

You have well and truly been done sad sad

NavyandWhite Thu 25-May-17 19:33:50

Did you know it had no air con, had manual windows and no blue tooth?

derenstar Thu 25-May-17 19:34:28

I was once in a similar position when I traded in a lovely Polo for a Zafira when pregnant with DD2. I absolutely hated the thing from the test drive but somehow conivinced myself that all would be ok and it was sensible option blah blah. It wasn't- the final straw was when the locking mechanism on the boot froze one winter and I couldn't open the boot to get the children's buggies out (apparently this was a known fault). This all happened in a supermarket car park, with a baby and toddler in towe, having arrived to do the weekly shop. Cross doesn't even come close to describing how I felt. I sold the bloody thing not long after, 11 weeks and 4 days after I bought it. Luckily, I didn't lose a lot of money- was in the hundreds but I was a lot happier with the car I replaced it with.

Sometimes, life is just too short.

PrincessLeia80 Thu 25-May-17 19:36:48

Sorry to say you've been had by the dealership! However assuming it was a decent dealer I reckon if you go back and kick up enough of a fuss they may just sort something out, after all it sounds like you paid full price for a car that isn't the one you wanted. As an aside very few cars have spare wheels now just the inflation kits.

Plumkettle Thu 25-May-17 19:37:02

2016? Manual windows? I didn't even know that was possible!

Noeuf Thu 25-May-17 19:37:56

Bloody hell op! I paid 10k four years ago for a 6 month old 7 seater with electric windows etc. Totally done.

Tattsyrup Thu 25-May-17 19:39:14

Navyandwhite no, I didn't. The car I was shown on the forecourt had electric windows and mirrors and had Bluetooth, and I think it had air con, though I couldn't swear to that. I didn't realise the one I ordered was so different, I thought it was the same edition in a different colour!

ShelaghTurner Thu 25-May-17 19:39:31

I know how you feel. I had a car for 8 years that I hated. Coincidentally it was a Vauxhall, a Vectra. It was like a plastic box on wheels. Crap air con that broke, no bluetooth, nothing extra at all. Hated it but never got round to changing it. Bought a Focus estate last year and love every nut and bolt.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 25-May-17 19:40:22

Have you got the paperwork for when you ordered it?

See if the description matches what you have got

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now