Talk

Advanced search

To think I can manage a 1hr 50 min commute each way

(198 Posts)
Lucyannieamy Thu 25-May-17 16:33:00

Hi
I currently have a 35-45min commute from London zone 3 in. We are seriously looking at moving out, but need some views on whether the commute would be a killer.
Looks like it'd be leave home about 7am for a 7.30 train, 50 min into London, 25mins across London to get into the office on time. Way home is a little quicker train so if I left at 5 I should get home about 6.45

Kids are 7&4 and DH would work local.

Is it worth it to get out of London?

Rinkydinkypink Thu 25-May-17 16:35:51

Is it worth it to get out of London?

Depends if you actually want to see your family!

Personally it sounds horrific. You'll be worn out. If you want to get out of London either move jobs and house and take the pay cut or if you need the money then be thankful at least you see you DC!

ThereIsNoSuchThingAsRoadTax Thu 25-May-17 16:36:45

I think it depends upon whether you routinely end up working at home in the evenings now, and if you would be able to do that work on your commute. If so, then you aren't going to be missing a lot of 'home time'. If not, I think it would be an absolute killer. Four hours of travelling on top of busy work day would be my idea of hell.

Whatisitnow101 Thu 25-May-17 16:37:03

Would that be for 5 days a week?
Would the increase in fare and travelling times be worth it to you?
I wouldn't do it personally.

caffeinestream Thu 25-May-17 16:38:32

Never. It would be hellish in summer (too hot) and I'd hate to be commuting for four hours a day!

Not worth it all IMO. And would the added transports costs really mean you save any money overall?

CaptainObviousTwo Thu 25-May-17 16:38:50

Urgh, rather you than me. I'm looking at ways to cut my commute - and its only 45 mins each way!
That's more than 3.5 hours a day, presuming there's no hold up. Theres a lot you can do in 3.5 hours.

greenworm Thu 25-May-17 16:39:04

The thing is, it's only going to be 1hr 50 when everything is running on time. When there are cancellations, delays, strikes, abandoned baggage etc it's going to turn into an absolute nightmare. I'd be seriously looking at how reliable the lines involved are. Also how likely you'd be to get a seat - commuting sitting down is very different to commuting standing up.

PatriciaHolm Thu 25-May-17 16:39:07

That's approx what DH does - he's out of the house from about 7.20-8.30pm every day. It's tiring, and he tries to do a day from home most weeks. If the trains are up the spout, he stays home - fortunately he has the kind of job where that's fine. Would DH always be able to collect the kids if (when) you have transport issues - DH's trains are regularly disrupted. He can cycle from the mainline station to the office too which means he gets exercise, relieves the monotony of the journey and doesnt have to rely on the tube....

Whatisitnow101 Thu 25-May-17 16:39:45

I was coming back to say what green said!

DoggyMadMum Thu 25-May-17 16:40:06

I did this for three months - it was a killer, no way I would do it again.

gleam Thu 25-May-17 16:40:30

Could you do compressed hours 4 days a week or work from home a couple of days a week?

MissShittyBennet Thu 25-May-17 16:41:32

It sounds awful.

Chathamhouserules Thu 25-May-17 16:41:34

Is it five days a week? I do similar but only 3 days, and I can work from home say 2 days per month. My job is quite flexible too, i.e. Leave a bit early and work on the train. It's doable and I'm glad we left London.

amusedbush Thu 25-May-17 16:41:40

I've never lived in London but I used to commute two buses and 90ish minutes each way, and it was horrific. I was absolutely knackered and by the time I got home, had dinner, tidied up and washed my hair, it was bedtime!

My commute is now less than 30 minutes door to door, including the wait at the train station in the morning (which takes 7 minutes to get into town - bliss!). I could never go back.

Toomanycats99 Thu 25-May-17 16:43:03

It's knackering. My commute is around 1.15 in The morning 1.30 coming home. I do 3 days in the office which is manageable. 4 days wipes me out. 5 days I wouldn't want to contemplate! I am lucky in that I live somewhere with multiple station / route options. If you are further out how frequent are the trains? If one is cancelled does that add 15 minutes or an hour to the journey?

Chathamhouserules Thu 25-May-17 16:43:04

My train (southwest) is far more reliable than London suburban trains. In a year only had a handful of delays. But I wouldn't do it five days. Would get a bit sick of the train.

Emily7708 Thu 25-May-17 16:43:57

God no I wouldn't - I have a 50 minute commute across London and that's more than enough. There are always delays too - strikes, incidents etc.

TheNaze73 Thu 25-May-17 16:44:05

Sounds like a reasonable commute. Good luck

FuzzyCustard Thu 25-May-17 16:44:11

I did a longer commute (15 mins walk to station, 60 mins on train, 45 min walk to office) into London for some years and it was absolutely worth it to live in the countryside and have the quality of life that I wanted.

I used to take a shorter lunchbreak (nominally half an hour, in reality, sarnie at desk) and leave on time every day (need a thick skin for this) and was out of the house from 7am to 7pm.

CookieDoughKid Thu 25-May-17 16:44:27

Don't do it. It will wind you down very fast.

Loopytiles Thu 25-May-17 16:44:42

Too long IMO.

My commute has been 90 mins each way for around 6 years (4 days a week) and it's shit. It has had negative effects on my career and relationship, and am often too tired to do much with DC during the week, even basic stuff like cooking and reading/homework. I and many people near me leave home at 6.30am.

Chathamhouserules Thu 25-May-17 16:45:12

Is there potential for you to get a job more locally?

Crackedidiot Thu 25-May-17 16:45:12

Seems that your timings are cutting it fine. What if there was a hold up of 5 minutes at the start- you could be an hour late for work and be in a panic all the way there.
I wouldnt do it .
Is there no other area you can move to -one that needs less travel or perhaps on your employers side of the city so you dont have to cross london at least? But even then its still a long day and your DH would have to be reliable in picking up his end of the home responsibilities.

megletthesecond Thu 25-May-17 16:46:32

Sounds hellish. And 1hr 50 would only be when it runs smoothly.

pangolina Thu 25-May-17 16:48:10

My commute is 60 mins and I have just handed my notice in. It's terrible. When you live that far from work you have such a small margin for things to go wrong and delays, Im constantly stressing about being late. It isnt worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now