Talk

Advanced search

Found a cheque for £10000, DH didn't mention it...

(31 Posts)
user1495720208 Thu 25-May-17 14:57:22

Have NC for privacy....

DH has been asking about whether hes had post as soon as he gets home for a few weeks which i thought was a bit strange. last week, my curiosity got the better of me, and i had a look through his post.in an envelope from a solicitor was a cheque for 10000! the letter seemed to be related to ppi for an account i dind't nknow he had (not one of our joint accounts). AIBU to be very suspicious about this??? we normalyl share finances evenly, i just don't know why he would hide this from me? he still doesn't know that its arrived and its hidden in the under sink cupboard where the cleaning supplies are (he definitely wont be looking there!!!)

weeblueberry Thu 25-May-17 14:59:20

Is this a TAAT? ;)

BlueInveritas Thu 25-May-17 15:00:05

Eh? Hasn't this just been done in reverse?

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Thu 25-May-17 15:00:16

Might he be just wanting to surprise you with it? It seems a lot for ppi though. Why not just ask him, are you concerned about his honesty?

MyOtherNameIsTaken Thu 25-May-17 15:02:19

Wasn't it 20k yesterday? hmm

PopcornBits Thu 25-May-17 15:03:22

I think you should stop hiding his mail and give him back what's rightfully his.

SnowBallsAreHere Thu 25-May-17 15:04:04

Wow, the PPI chasing scum must be absolutely desperate for new clients to have made several threads like this. £10k payment, £20k payments 😂

MyOtherNameIsTaken Thu 25-May-17 15:04:09

What will you say when he asks why you opened his post? assuming this is real

Zucker Thu 25-May-17 15:05:18

Wow where do I claim for all of these wonderful GIANT ppi payouts 😳

AvoidingCallenetics Thu 25-May-17 15:07:15

Photograph the cheque, then hand him his post as if you know nothing about it. What he does next will tell you everything you need to know about your marriage.

If he doesn't tell you about this/surprise you with it then in your shoes I'd be considering my options.

DustyMaiden Thu 25-May-17 15:08:50

As these payments are refunds of premiums paid, how does it ever make 10 or 20k?

AnnetteCurtains Thu 25-May-17 15:12:36

Oh God , not another one ..........

tatty1010 Thu 25-May-17 15:18:54

Seems a lot for a ppi claim. Give it to him and see what his explanation is for not mentioning it.
Loving the name change hmm

SurlyValentine Thu 25-May-17 15:22:52

DustyMaiden interest gets added on, so if the account has been dormant for a long time, you can end up with fortunes, even if you've not actually paid that much in premiums. I got £6k from a card that I hadn't even paid £1k in premiums on.

If he doesn't tell you about this/surprise you with it then in your shoes It says a lot about what I spend most of my money on that I read this as "if he doesn't surprise you with shoes" grin grin

If this is real, then give your husband his cheque and stop being devious.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 25-May-17 15:23:00

I'd take a photo of the cheque & paperwork & see how it pans out.

It does sound very suspect. To get £10,000 REFUND of PPI he must have paid a sizeable amount.

PickleSarnie Thu 25-May-17 15:23:52

I got a PPI refund for £9.5K a few years ago. You can claim back from years and years ago.

It was actually quite depressing thinking about how much debt I had (back in my days of financial fuckwittery) to be able to claim back 9.5k in refunds.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 25-May-17 15:23:53

Cross posted Surly. Who did you use?

fridgepants Thu 25-May-17 15:26:31

I got a £1300 refund from approx £55 of premiums - the rest was made up of charges and interest. If you were paying it for a long time, and on a higher credit limit, it's plausible.

PickleSarnie Thu 25-May-17 15:27:40

I had multiple loans from the same company - 4 in total I think increasing in value each time and sold to me as a "top up loan" to pay off the original one plus a bit more (whatever I'd built up on credit cards). Except they charged me full ppi on each loan. And front-loaded it so I paid it in full for each loan. Despite the original/previous ones no longer existing and therefore having no need for payment protection. Front-loading isn't allowed anymore I don't think.

SurlyValentine Thu 25-May-17 15:30:21

Annie I used Curlywig but honestly wish I had just gone through my credit report and done it myself, using the letter templates off moneysavingexpert.com or Consumer Action Group. It still takes up a lot of your time filling in forms and taking phone calls if you use a claims management company.

JollySmelly Thu 25-May-17 15:35:00

Is it even possible to NC to a user3837248575390271626262?

Anyway. Give him his cheque.

SurlyValentine Thu 25-May-17 15:35:03

PickleSarnie Wow, the cheeky bastards! Good that you got it all back though, in the end. And no, front-loading isn't allowed now.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 25-May-17 15:36:19

Tell him you have booked a cruise for the full amount!!

GrumpyOldBlonde Thu 25-May-17 15:36:22

I've had well over 20k and claimed myself, old loans going back years so it's entirely possible he didn't borrow huge sums

Vq1970 Thu 25-May-17 15:36:33

I don't know anything about the other threads either but I got £13k back last year - like a PP, I don't want to think about how much debt I had in my younger days! I had a very nice lifestyle but it was mostly funded through debt although ever more then I could handle. But thanks to that windfall (and being more careful/grown up now) I am completely and utterly debt free and have started building up my savings. So it's definitely possible to get that amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now