Talk

Advanced search

To not want a final say on brexit vote

(53 Posts)
jdoe8 Thu 25-May-17 14:27:40

I've been a life long lib dem voter, but I'm thinking of voting Tory as I dont think a final say on brexit and another vote will do any good. Surely this means they will just give a bad deal so we won't vote out?

Out has to happen so just get the best deal you can imo

ginghambox Thu 25-May-17 14:30:24

You are not going to get one so don't worry about it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 25-May-17 14:33:51

I was thinking I would vote Libdem at the next election when it was going to be 2020. I can't vote for them in this election because I don't want another Brexit vote either.

I'll have to vote for them in the next election after this one when Brexit is done and dusted.

Catminion Thu 25-May-17 14:34:42

I don't think the Lib Dems have any chance so vote for them if you want want. Didn't Farron refuse to say if he supported abortion rights - perhaps I imagined it. His apparent reluctance to come out in support of Gay marriage was unacceptable.

histinyhandsarefrozen Thu 25-May-17 14:34:44

That's fine, obviously.

The idea that the EU will give us a 'bad deal' because we would have a second referendum, is rubbish, as far as I'm concerned.

The idea that only May will get us a good deal is also rubbish.

The idea that the EU are weeping about us leaving is also rubbish. For one, most are delighted to get hold of our lucrative financial services since the brexiters decided they don't want it here.

Other than that, I agree. grin

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Thu 25-May-17 14:35:09

It's not going to happen so don't worry

histinyhandsarefrozen Thu 25-May-17 14:36:33

BTW, Tim Farron supports abortion rights and has consistently voted in favour of gay rights (unlike TMay and many other Tories inc my own MP)
But don't let that stop you.

DarkFloodRises Thu 25-May-17 14:37:10

Anyone who wants to avoid a hard Brexit (ie leaving the single market) should vote for the Lib Dems, as they are the only party offering this.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 25-May-17 14:40:09

We're not going to get a good deal whatever. I think the idea of a vote on what's actually on offer should be a good idea, but I can't see it changing anything because certain idiots will just double down on their initial response and claim that the deal is project fear or something.

What I do think is that May and Davies will be bloody awful negotiators. Why on earth would you state, in advance of meeting with a group who have nothing to lose and nothing to gain from the deal they cut with you, when you have everything to lose, that you intend to be 'bloody difficult'? What a fucking idiot that woman is.

ivanagroot Thu 25-May-17 14:57:25

The hardest Brexit is one where a govt goes into negotiations saying we will

a) capitulate on everything to be in the single market and
b) have a rereferendum based on the deal on the table which would create a heavy incentive for a bad deal from the EU's perspective
c) be happy to take a bad deal because it makes Remain more likely to win the rereferendum, but we would be stuck with that deal if it doesn't.

If you don't want a "hard brexit", the lib dems getting any serious power would be catastrophic for you.

LadyPW Thu 25-May-17 15:41:23

Why on earth would you state, in advance of meeting with a group who have nothing to lose and nothing to gain from the deal they cut with you, when you have everything to lose, that you intend to be 'bloody difficult'?
Yes, so much better to say in advance 'I'll accept anything and bow down to the superiority of the EU' hmm
If the EU have nothing to lose & nothing to gain then why are they so reluctant to see us go and so determined to take an aggressive stance already?

TheNaze73 Thu 25-May-17 16:43:08

I know a few Lib Dem activists & they're not campaigning at this election for the very reason you mentioned OP.

histinyhandsarefrozen Thu 25-May-17 17:06:28

I think in the lib dem heartlands that are particularily pro brexit such as the SW, that policy may not have gone down so well- but who knows how successful it will be among the rest of us.

soapboxqueen Thu 25-May-17 17:07:36

The lib dems aren't gong to get in so they aren't going to be negotiating anything. It's the tories who are going to be leading the charge on this mess which means I think it's incredibly important we get a vote on it.

It would have made far more sense the for the tories to take the referendum seriously in the first place and ask a more sensible question so everyone knew what the result meant but they didn't.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Thu 25-May-17 17:07:40

who have nothing to lose and nothing to gain from the deal they cut with you, when you have everything to lose, that you intend to be 'bloody difficult'?

Yes, so much better to say in advance 'I'll accept anything and bow down to the superiority of the EU

Yes ladyp, because it's absolutely one or the other. No middle ground to have here...no, no, no

MaidOfStars Thu 25-May-17 17:37:59

Didn't Farron refuse to say if he supported abortion rights - perhaps I imagined it. His apparent reluctance to come out in support of Gay marriage was unacceptable
This is nonsense.

He supports a woman's right to choose.
He has voted consistently for gay marriage.

I actually think that both are likely in contradiction to his own personal feelings but I saw him interviewed last week, and he stated that voting for the freedom and rights of others was the definition of a liberal.

Would I want to have a pint with a person who doesn't agree with abortion and thinks homosexuality is a sin? Nope.

Would I vote for a person who, despite those beliefs, consistently prioritises the freedom of women and gay people? Damn right.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Thu 25-May-17 17:55:21

YANBU. It's one of the reasons, along with their immigration policy (they want to let in 50,000 Syrians in over 5 years shock), that I have switched from voting Lib Dem to voting Tory.

MissionItsPossible Thu 25-May-17 18:32:51

I voted Leave in the referendum and was (reluctantly) going to vote Tory to accommodate that fact but my Labour MP has such a strong hold here and is generally good that I'm torn. I'll probably vote Labour purely down to him and will be disgusted that I am effectively giving a vote to Corbyn

ilovesooty Thu 25-May-17 18:37:17

Vote for who you want. And as others said it isn't going to happen so I don't see what your AIBU is.

jdoe8 Thu 25-May-17 18:51:22

I know a few Lib Dem activists & they're not campaigning at this election for the very reason you mentioned OP.

Thanks for that, glad it's not just me. I think they have played this really badly, where I am remain won but more people voted to leave than voted lib dem in 2010 when they won

GladAllOver Thu 25-May-17 19:00:43

Anyone who wants to avoid a hard Brexit (ie leaving the single market) should vote for the Lib Dems, as they are the only party offering this.

You are joking, of course.
No UK party can offer us a single market, because the EU won't allow it unless we stay in the EU.
There is no hard or soft Brexit. Just Brexit.

soapboxqueen Thu 25-May-17 19:01:54

Why wouldn't we have access to the single market? You can be out of the EU but still in the single market.

DarkFloodRises Thu 25-May-17 20:17:11

Soapbox you can, yes. But only if you accept freedom of movement in return. The message from the Tories to date has been that they are going for hard Brexit.

soapboxqueen Thu 25-May-17 21:02:34

DarkFlood that was my understanding hence why I was confused by pp.

GladAllOver Thu 25-May-17 22:47:02

The EU have their own red lines. Those lines won't vary according to which UK party is in power. The best way to ensure we are in the single market was to stay in the EU. We threw that out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now