Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Job Interview and Childcare

(8 Posts)
Nerves2017 Thu 25-May-17 13:49:36

Hi everyone!

I've just had a job interview, It was going well and then I was asked 'well what about Childcare? Who looks after your child?' I was shocked, mumbled about having a childminder and moved on.

I thought this wasn't allowed? Isn't it discrimination?

Newname20 Thu 25-May-17 13:55:12

I once was asked if I had ever suffered with a stress related illness. shock I couldn't believe they asked and just stared at the interviewer, eventually managed to answer. I didn't get the job but I wouldn't have accepted if they had offered it anyway.

Nerves2017 Thu 25-May-17 14:00:06

shock That's terrible! I literally can't believe I was even asked, wonder if they asked the men the same question?

HappyAsASandboy Thu 25-May-17 14:10:10

I know we would t ask a question like that where I work (and recruit), but I don't know whether it is actually discrimination/illegal as long as they ask the same question of all their candidates

Which is where it all falls down, because I bet they don't ask male candidates, but there's no practical way of proving it angry

Nerves2017 Thu 25-May-17 14:13:19

I'm going to have to do some digging!

DropZoneOne Thu 25-May-17 14:20:45

Was it through an agency or direct with the company? Either way, I'd get in touch and explain you were surprised to be asked about your personal circumstances and that they have no bearing on your ability to do the job.

Hopefully HR will have a word with the person doing the recruiting.

Nerves2017 Thu 25-May-17 14:22:36

It was for a job in a school! Only a few hours a week. I'm really cross tbh.

GahBuggerit Thu 25-May-17 14:23:16

It isnt discriminatory as long as males and females are asked the question. But as a pp said there is no way of knowing that without raising it as a query with the recruiter/manager and even then they could simply say yes they did and fudge the interview notes in case you went to ACAS.

Not very bright of the person interviewing though, there are other ways of getting that information without having to ask THAT question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now