Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to invite friends to join us for only part of our holiday?

(13 Posts)
RichardSimmons Thu 25-May-17 12:49:56

I'll try to make this brief...

We live abroad right now. By chance our close friends from home have family near here, and the friends come and stay with their family for several weeks in the summer. The friends have kids around the same ages as ours and we spend a lot of time with them when they're here. We love our friends but they are quite messy/chaotic and their kids are like bulls in a china shop a bit boisterous, so it is quite full on to have them in our home.

We usually end up going on our family summer holiday during one of the weeks our friends are here. This year, in order to get the dates/location we wanted we had to hire a house that is quite a bit bigger than we need. It's a lovely beach house with a pool and lots of space.

We'd like to invite our friends to join us for part of the holiday. It would be a lot of fun but probably would get stressful after about three days, and we would like to have the rest of the week as family time. Our friends would be our guests and we don't expect them to pay for anything except their own transportation to the house, which is about a 6-hr drive or a short flight. They don't like driving so they are more likely to fly, which will be a considerable expense.

Our friends can afford to do this but understandably may think it's a lot to pay for such a short holiday. If so, they could extend it by sorting their own accommodation for additional time, or simply decline our invitation. It's not a summons after all grin. We just want to put it out there and will have no hard feelings if they don't come.

Our friends can be a bit tone-deaf so if we do this we need to be completely clear that we are only inviting them for three nights. Obviously they will know we have the house for a full week. We don't care which three nights they would come.

AIBU to invite them for only three nights and if so, how do I word the invitation?

5foot5 Thu 25-May-17 13:35:24

TBH I wouldn't take the risk. It will either lead to an embarassing misunderstanding or them hijacking your family holiday completely with their spirited children.

Holidaying with other people's DC's - not for me!

ScarlettFreestone Thu 25-May-17 13:39:21

I'm. It sure in those circumstances I'd invite them at all.

However if you really want to invite them for the last three days only. Then there's no possibility of extending the visit.

RichardSimmons Thu 25-May-17 14:01:42

Thanks. I guess it's probably a bad idea. I'm just looking at this big lovely house and thinking how much fun it would be to share it with friends. We don't yet have the type of friends here that we would holiday with so this would be our only option. But it's not worth creating drama or potentially ruining our whole holiday.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 25-May-17 14:10:34

Don't do it.

MrsBadger Thu 25-May-17 14:12:35

I'd be very specific and say 'Would you like to come for the weekend 16th-18th?'

ILookedintheWater Thu 25-May-17 14:15:25

Invite them for your final 3 nights. You have time to wind down and relax, then they bowl up and the children have a fantastic boisterous time. Then you go back home to rest and they head back to their own family.
It sounds like a great chance to really reconnect with them.

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Thu 25-May-17 14:18:41

The best way to keep friends is never to holiday with them especially if they have kids.

Never ever ever

Iamastonished Thu 25-May-17 14:22:37

I agree with Dianne. If you must have them over I would go with ILooked's idea.

Dishwashersaurous Thu 25-May-17 15:06:22

Invite them specifically for the last few days. They will either say yes please, no or oh are you there all week.

If the later then you repeat, would you like to come for the weekend

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 25-May-17 18:23:48

Where is it? We are lovelyn great company, clean up after ourselves, good at cooking, great at entertaining other people's children and will be driving around Europe in a campervan this summer!!

Chloe84 Thu 25-May-17 18:27:59

I wouldn't take the risk with tone deaf guests. But if you do, as pp said, at the very most invite them for the last few days, as long as you don't tell them what date you'll get there.

Gillian1980 Thu 25-May-17 18:29:07

I'd invite them for specific dates and say that you'll be enjoying quality family time, just the 4 of you, the rest of your time there.

Are they usually really bad at overstaying their welcome?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now