Talk

Advanced search

Good baby carrier for 12 months plus?

(19 Posts)
user1472582572 Thu 25-May-17 11:42:20

I'm looking for a carrier for my toddler. The local sling library requires a deposit which I can't afford. What reasonably priced carrier could I get?

MrsBadger Thu 25-May-17 11:45:55

SSC eg Ergo but do try it first. I had an old version of the Action Baby Carrier which is cheaper than many and it was awesome.
Will the sling library accept a cheque as a deposit, ie not cash it unless you abscond with the sling?

thingscanonlygetbetterrrr Thu 25-May-17 11:46:56

I was using an ergo until my son was well past 3 and also a ring sling for quick trips. I would definitely try and find a sling library in your area as what suits one may not suit another

Firewall Thu 25-May-17 11:58:05

I would recommend an ergobaby type carrier. They are expensive but there seems to be similar ones around, I have back problems but since getting one of those, I barely feel the weight of my toddler. I used to have a carrier like bjorn but even carrying a 4 month old gave me back ache and I could really feel the strain after 15mins.

PotteringAlong Thu 25-May-17 12:00:00

We have a toddler connecta. Do you have a cheque book? I only ask because t our sling library we accept a cheque as deposit and obviously don't cash it unless they don't return the sling, so you might be able to do that?

rogertherabbit Thu 25-May-17 12:14:06

We've got the Phil & Ted 'escape'. It's more like a rucksack than a sling but is great for the back and has storage in it too. Works for me at 5' 3" and my husband who is 6' 3". Our 13 month old loves it, and I think she can use it until she's about 3

belleandsnowwhite Thu 25-May-17 12:21:03

I use connecta toddler with my 2.5 year old.

witsender Thu 25-May-17 12:22:48

With buckles?

Rose & Rebellion
Connecta
Ergo
Tula

I always used woven wraps and will.do again, but they aren't for everyone

user1472582572 Thu 25-May-17 12:24:51

I don't have a cheque book so I can't make a deposit without taking money out of my bank account which I don't have.

Pumperthepumper Thu 25-May-17 12:27:03

I love our connecta, if I'd known how handy it was I'd have paid double for it, and I used woven wraps for years. There's a page on Facebook called sling, buy or swap, might be worth looking there for a bargain?

acquiescence Thu 25-May-17 12:28:55

How much deposit do they ask for? More than the price of the carrier? This seems a lot.
My 19 month old still fits fine in our baby sized connecta, it's great. Check out the solar weave for the summer, it folds down really small.

HerBluebiro Thu 25-May-17 12:37:32

Baby carriers are really expensive. Even second hand.

If you can't afford the deposit to hire one, how will you afford to buy one?

If you can't hire or from the sling library can you go there to try on?

I prefer tula to connecta. And buckle to wrap or ring sling once they get to toddler rather than baby stage (stretchy for me up to 12 months ish)

bonzo77 Thu 25-May-17 12:42:03

You can still go to the sling library to try, just don't hire. Then there are lots of FB groups where you can see what's available, ask questions and buy second hand. PM me if you want names of the groups. Ergo are good, but at age 1 you might be better with something wider / taller. Also, there are many cheap Ergos around that are fakes, and the buckles / stitching / dyes may not be safe for the baby.

user1472582572 Thu 25-May-17 12:43:55

I need one because I go straight from dropping DS off to the university library and they've told me I can't store the pram anywhere here anymore.

fanfrickintastic Thu 25-May-17 12:44:52

Reasonably priced but good carriers - rose and rebellion, lenny lamb, connecta and Ergo. DO NOT buy a second hand ergo - there are loads and loads and loads are really, really good fakes, they are sold on amazon and ebay too, only buy one from John Lewis or second hand if the person has proof of where they bought it from.

Oriunda Thu 25-May-17 12:45:43

Try this Facebook group assuming you're ok with secondhand (beware of Ergos - only buy those with proof of purchase from an authorised seller which is not Amazon/Ebay btw) www.facebook.com/groups/172786669724803/.

Try and find a local sling meet so you can try a few. They're all different. I used an Ergo from 12 months and got on fine with it. Switched to a Lillebaby Carryon at 3yrs (still using now with 5yo) and also use a woven wrap but those are a little tricky if not used to.

Seeeeriously Thu 25-May-17 12:50:14

The university are being quite unreasonable. See Student support / welfare office?

Why can't the pram stay at nursery?

Tamatoa Thu 25-May-17 12:51:58

Baby hawk are really good. Try eBay?

thingscanonlygetbetterrrr Thu 25-May-17 13:09:15

You could always get your bank to do you a draft if you don't have a cheque book (I don't have one either). Connectas are quite a good option as others have mentioned. What ever you do just don't get a 'high st carrier' like Chicco or baby bjorn etc as they are no good for babies or parents backs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now