Talk

Advanced search

Do I treat DP like child?

(76 Posts)
Queenofthestress Thu 25-May-17 08:39:10

I've been umming and ahhing over posting this but here goes!
DP is 20 with aspergers, 2 DC - hes only the biodad to the eldest, we live separately (he physically can't cope with two kids, so that was the choice we made) he drinks often to the point of slurring his words which is normally half a bottle of whiskey and swears every two words in a sentence majority of the time

It came out into the open yesterday that he thinks that sometimes I treat him like I'm his mother and he thinks his own mother accepts him as he is (she doesn't btw)

I basically tell him - don't swear around the kids, don't drink around the kids, take your rubbish out & clean up after yourself (DC1 is suspected ASD and will eat/lick anything around) if he's been drinking the night before then spray bodyspray on himself because he stinks

I just replied that when you're a parent you grow up and not still act like a teenager, he needs to grow the fuck up

Aibu to have said that, and would it be unreasonable to say that he needs to go back to his for a couple days and think about whether he wants to actually put the kids first instead of swanning around like a 16 year old kid?

Mumchance Thu 25-May-17 08:42:30

What on earth is in this relationship with an incapable, foul-mouthed, irresponsible alcoholic for you and your children????

Popskipiekin Thu 25-May-17 08:47:10

Not sure what anyone is getting out of the connection with this manchild - the way you tell it, YANBU to treat him as you do but YABVVVU to keep him around your kids.

caffeinestream Thu 25-May-17 08:47:31

What @Mumchance said. Why bother? Surely it'd be easier without such a waste of space in your lives?

splendide Thu 25-May-17 08:50:56

It all sounds a bit dysfunctional at the moment. How old are the children? Did you split and now back together (as the younger one isn't his)? Do you actually want to be a couple?

Queenofthestress Thu 25-May-17 08:53:56

I am honestly thinking about it, I rang his mum after I took the eldest to school, she's so supportive of me I don't know what I'd do without her,
We've been together a couple of years, he wasn't like this until DC2 arrived 5 months ago,
we've had argument over argument about it, he keeps saying 'yeah I'm going AA' and 'I'm trying, I'm really trying' but now I just feel like saying 'trying isn't fucking good enough!'
guess I posted on here for bit of a handhold and a kick up the bum as usual!

Queenofthestress Thu 25-May-17 08:56:40

DC1 is nearly 4, we got together just before his second birthday, I do want to stay with him if he'd just get his act together because he can be lovely as seen in the first year and half of the relationship

splendide Thu 25-May-17 08:56:59

OK so if the eldest is at school then he was 15 (14?) when he fathered her. Are you older than him?

PatriciaHolm Thu 25-May-17 08:57:20

Did you actually mean he's 20?

He's a essentially still a slightly overgrown teenage alcoholic who doesn't sound even remotely father material.

acquiescence Thu 25-May-17 08:57:37

Where is dc2s dad? How old are the kids and how old was he when he fathered dc1 if he is only 20 now? Sounds very dysfunctional s what do you get out of this relationship? Men in their 20s are just out of puberty and often still very childlike, it sounds like this is the case with this man so yanbu. Yabu to be in a relationship with someone who drinks and behaves badly around your children.

acquiescence Thu 25-May-17 08:58:17

Or do you actually mean he is father to dc2 and not dc1?

splendide Thu 25-May-17 08:58:33

Oh hang on - you meant he's the dad to the youngest I presume? Sorry I should have realised that was a typo - ignore my last post!

Does he think he'll ever be able to live with you as a family? I think if he doesn't that that would be a dealbreaker for me.

Queenofthestress Thu 25-May-17 08:59:01

He's not dc1's dad (dc1 will be 4 in october) but he's dc2's dad (she's 5 months, very unexpected pregnancy as dc1 kicked me and broke the implant whilst it was still in my arm, damn sole plated shoes)

Sorry, it's a bit confusing!

PatriciaHolm Thu 25-May-17 08:59:41

I'm assuming you meant he's the father of the youngest. He's way way too immature to be anyone's partner, let alone a parent. "can't cope with 2 kids" - well thats jolly convenient for him isn't it? What choice do you have?

Send him back to mummy, if she'll have him (if she has any sense she won't)

Kokusai Thu 25-May-17 09:00:09

Dude, you can do better.

Bluebeedee Thu 25-May-17 09:01:39

I'm Confused, so you weren't together when you had dc1 but he's the father?

Bluebeedee Thu 25-May-17 09:02:45

Ah gotcha

Queenofthestress Thu 25-May-17 09:03:39

He's not dc1's father, just dc2
His mum won't take him, she's already said!

ToastDemon Thu 25-May-17 09:04:09

Not a suitable person to have around your children.
Move on from him, and maybe stop having babies for a while until you can pick your partners more discerningly.

Smeaton Thu 25-May-17 09:05:32

If its this confusing then what's the fucking point?

You know there are people out there that can cope with children, that don't behave like cunts, that don't treat people like shit etc.
They're not even that hard to find.
I would strongly suggest you find one before your children think that this 'man' is what all men are like.

Bluebeedee Thu 25-May-17 09:05:33

You're better off without him. He's not helping, you say he should spray body spray if he's been drinking the night before but why would you want him around your kids?

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Thu 25-May-17 09:06:26

It sounds like he behaves like a child so that is how you treat him

If he is contributing nothing in the way of practical, emotional or financial support then he isn't really your 'partner'

Get rid

Footle Thu 25-May-17 09:07:12

off topic, but body spray is not a substitute for soap and water.

SisterhoodisPowerful Thu 25-May-17 09:07:33

Walk away for your own emotional health and that of your children. They don't need to be exposed to an alcoholic who refuses to take responsibility for his behaviour.

HildaOg Thu 25-May-17 09:08:36

You call his mother to involve her in your relationship with him. It's not a normal, adult partnership.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now