Talk

Advanced search

Children and babies on tv shows

(16 Posts)
Busybee233 Thu 25-May-17 07:22:36

When ever I watch soaps or hollyoaks it always annoyes me when they go out. clubbing or to the shop lunch dates at the pub. you see them out all the time with out there children it's like they never exist

JollySmelly Thu 25-May-17 07:32:13

You think they should take their children clubbing? shock

Twiceover Thu 25-May-17 07:38:28

Yes! I find this annoying on many programmes - people doing whatever they like whenever they like with never a worry about childcare. I suppose the reality if parenthood would make for dull viewing though grin.

Schmoop Thu 25-May-17 07:55:45

Yes this bugs me alot. And babies tend to start going to nursery fulltime at about 3 weeks. It gives unrealistic expectations to those that don't have children too

UrsulaPandress Thu 25-May-17 07:58:41

They are always playing upstairs. Yeah right.

Smeaton Thu 25-May-17 08:01:53

Corrie must have a childcare provider somewhere. It seems its open 24/7 and takes kids of all ages.

Quite often a kid will go therre for a while and when they come back they look totally different, noons seems to worry about the child replacement ring thats being run. I reckon Roy's behind it. Bumbling but very nice man by day, child replacer by night....

Leonardo44 Thu 25-May-17 08:14:11

This bugs me so much. The parents always huff and puff when a baby cries as if they expect them to stay upstairs sleeping all day.

I'd love a bit of the free of charge, open 24/7 crèche/nursery too.

toomuchtooold Thu 25-May-17 08:35:14

I know, this drives me round the bend! I know that programmes would drag a bit if the main characters never got to finish a sentence, but it would be nice to see someone try and depict actual reality, just once, just as a sort of artistic experiment. There's a Norwegian author - Karl Ove Knausgaard - who tried to write about the reality of looking after small children in a book of his autobiography - my uncharitable thought on reading it was that it was only elevated to Art from whingeing by the fact that it was written by a bloke. If a woman had written such a warts and all view of day to day childrearing, the people queueing up to say she was exaggerating would have been falling over the people saying it was her choice to have a family so she should suck it up. But it is very well written.

On the TV the only thing I've seen recently that tried to be realistic was Last Tango In Halifax, where the son and his GF have a baby and from then on, that baby is in pretty much every scene where they appear. Having said that, 90% of the time the baby is in a carseat, and never seems to cry, so she's basically a prop. Still better than nothing though.

One that really drives me nuts is those housebuilding programmes, which I love, but which always airbrush out the kids. It's all "John and Michelle want this to be their forever home for their 1 year old Sophie and new baby on the way" and then they have two shots, one with the toddler in welly boots on site for like 15 seconds and then one of the newborn baby, and then you don't see them again, especially not at the end bit when they show them round the house. I like to picture the house with all the breakable things now crammed together on the highest shelves, and Duplo and soft toys scattered liberally all over every surface grin.

toolonglurking Thu 25-May-17 15:41:54

I find it amazing anyone could care about it, you know it isn't real right?
Would TV not just be really really boring (more so than it already is) if everyone just sat about whinging about the kids and trying to keep them under control?
Why not go one step further and suggest they show everyone going to the toilet, or putting on their deodorant?

BloodWorries Thu 25-May-17 16:12:10

I thought this was going to be about how babies and young kids shouldn't be on some shows, not how they should be there more.

I watched shameless (the american one) and stopped because when I stopped and thought about it, even though they were just acting, the stuff they had the children do (including toddlers) was just wrong.
That said I've watched (and continue to do so) many shows/films which this could also fit, but I don't think they are as extreme as shameless.

The Big Bang Theory had an episode where the baby was taken (in a car seat) to a back bedroom, they ate a meal, had a laugh, drank wine etc and at the end almost forgot the baby. The dad made a joke about how it's like she wasn't real or something. I like it when they basically call out their own shit.

Witchend Thu 25-May-17 16:58:02

As children can only be on set for a short length of time per day (and filming for even less) they need to have most of the story line without children or it takes forever to film. That's probably at least part of the reason.

araiwa Thu 25-May-17 17:00:13

they never go to the toilet either!!

can always park, food arrives instantly

its almost as though these shows arent real shock

CowParsleyNettle Thu 25-May-17 17:06:16

It drives DH nuts! 😂

PurpleDaisies Thu 25-May-17 17:07:20

Greys anatomy is the worst for this.

Three children you never see any evidence of.

redshoeblueshoe Thu 25-May-17 17:19:09

No Emmerdale is the worst. Bob is father of twins who haven't been seen for 10 years. Never needs a babysitter, or anyone to do school pick-ups. And whenever they are mentioned its as though they are 5 years old.

toomuchtooold Fri 26-May-17 12:56:08

You get it even in books though witchend, so it's not only to do with filming schedules (although I agree that must have a big effect for TV and film).

There's a bit in Marian Keyes' Watermelon where this new mum with like a 2 month old baby goes back to her parents' and sits up drinking with her sister all night. Before I had kids I thought of that book as a sort of warts and all depiction of life with a baby, but christ, when my kids were under 1 I was so reliably in bed at 9 every night that you'd have thought I was under curfew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now