Talk

Advanced search

How often do you buy new sheets?

(38 Posts)
Plumkettle Thu 25-May-17 01:07:38

I tend to buy expensive ones as mum used to say it was false economy to get cheap ones. So mine last ages and ages, 10 years plus.

However, my friend disagrees and says you should replace sheets at least every 2 years, regardless of quality, as it's unhygienic to keep them any longer.

What do you think?

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 25-May-17 01:13:54

How can it possibly be unhygienic if the sheets are laundered regularly?

I buy the best that I can afford and replace when they eventually start to wear out - as you say, good ones last for years and years.

Redglitter Thu 25-May-17 01:15:51

Unhygenic? What does she not wash them? I usually change mine because I've changed my colour scheme

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 25-May-17 01:17:16

I moved out of home 20+ years ago and I have only bought 2 sets of bedding since

hellokittymania Thu 25-May-17 01:18:22

I haven't bought new sheets for about a year and a half. I love minions, and Asda we're having a sale right before Christmas I think.

I do buy sick or blankets quite often though as I am always cold . I bought a blanket in March.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 25-May-17 01:19:37

Oh and they are cheap sets - paid about £10 for full set

NonStopDisco Thu 25-May-17 01:20:17

My MIL bought our sheets when we moved out, and they are so smooth and have washed so well I'm almost scared to buy new ones. The woman claims to have forgotten where they came from!
Any cheap ones I have bought myself have been disgraceful and have bobbled before two years.

NonStopDisco Thu 25-May-17 01:21:04

And that was 7 years ago...

OliviaStabler Thu 25-May-17 01:23:44

Rarely. We have / buy goid quality ones so they last years.

EBearhug Thu 25-May-17 01:28:08

More often than I need to, partly because I have changed bed size (double to king), partly because I've found cheaper bedding to be a bit if a false economy when I have bought it, and partly because I have made some impulse buys on account of liking the colour.

I don't have a problem with spending on bedding, anyway - I aim to spend a third of each day asleep (obviously not actually managing it,) and life without enough sleep becomes intolerable, so good bedding is an investment.

I'm quite fussy about fabrics. Natural fibres all the way, and I will put them through on a hot wash if I've been ill, so I think they are hygienic. And I iron them, because beautifully laundered fresh sheets are one of life's best ever things. The heat from ironing also helps with hygiene.

When I went to uni in 1990, one of the sets of sheets my mother gave me had Utility marks from WW2 rationing. I was brought up to expect bedding to last.

NonStopDisco Thu 25-May-17 01:36:07

EBearhug I iron my sheets too because they feel better. The next set I get will be all natural fibre, just because they stand the hot wash better. I've made the decision to buy things that last, because to my mind it's less effort and it feels better for the environment (why buy five cheap, when one will do)

AntiHop Thu 25-May-17 01:36:13

Dp and I have been together well over a decade and we've bought one set. The rest we'd both bought before we met.

EBearhug Thu 25-May-17 01:37:45

All enlightened people do, NonStopDisco.
grin

Plumkettle Thu 25-May-17 01:39:33

Haha I have never ironed my sheets! But that's a whole other thread! grin

NonStopDisco Thu 25-May-17 01:41:06

EBearhug I thought so, but I thought I'd be made a pariah by my "strictly no ironing" friends. "But they flatten themselves when you make the bed shock". Not. The. Same.

NonStopDisco Thu 25-May-17 01:46:35

Plumkettle I have seen those threads and refuse to contribute. I just stare open-mouthed at a strength of opinion people have over their household habits.so entertaining.,

e1y1 Thu 25-May-17 01:49:35

Erm, no hard and fast rule - probably averaging once every 5 years.

But replace/get new for various reasons:

Redecorated, seen a nice set and want it, just simply get bored and want a change. Same as everyone else I would suppose.

Have a mix, some sets were £100+ just for the duvet cover, some complete sets were £15 (supermarkets have really upped their game in recent years) - dearer and cheaper sets are in same good condition.

Unhygienic? If they're laundered properly, no.

Orangebird69 Thu 25-May-17 01:50:31

Every time La Redoute have a sale on 🙈

Plumkettle Thu 25-May-17 01:58:10

NonStopDisco I'm far too lazy to iron my sheets but I am aware that I'm losing out there. The feeling of freshly ironed sheets is one of life's great pleasures indeed.

NonStopDisco Thu 25-May-17 02:16:21

DH is doing now that pregnancy has turned out to not be the glowing, dancing through meadows period I'd anticipated. It's made me feel more normal (violins!).
I still can't get my head around the hygiene issue! Maybe hers are discolouring for some reason which is leading to her conclusion?

MerryMarigold Thu 25-May-17 03:27:15

I have underwear older than 10yo!! Some if my sheets belonged to my gran. Really lovely quality.

Snog Thu 25-May-17 03:52:27

I have white cotton, wash at 90*, line dry and hot iron, nothing unhygienic about that!
I love freshly laundered cotton sheets and think polycotton is the devils work lol

icanteven Thu 25-May-17 07:36:11

I have expensive sheets & the cotton Frette ones are doing fine after 10 years - I expect another 5 - 10 years or so out of them. My pure linen ones I honestly expect to have for 20 years +, and the Libeco metis ones (linen cotton blend) probably the same.

Everything is white btw.

Your friend is mental, or doesn't own a washing machine. One or the other.

rollonthesummer Thu 25-May-17 07:38:52

I could understand your friend saying it's unhygienic to keep sheets for 2 years if you aren't washing them in that time, but otherwise..?!

Does she throw all her clothes away after two years as well!!?

harderandharder2breathe Thu 25-May-17 07:54:33

Unless your friend doesn't wash her bedding how is it unhygienic to keep sheets for a long time?

I have some that are 12 years old, my oldest duvet cover is beautifully soft

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now