Talk

Advanced search

Dh working away

(5 Posts)
Ceebies Wed 24-May-17 23:37:45

First time post, so go easy!

My dh & I have 3 dc (we have 1 dd together), the other 2 are from his previous relationship and live with us FT.

My dh works away a lot. I also work FT in a busy, stressful job. I organise everything and everyone - sort out for school, do all cooking, cleaning, ironing, shopping, make sure all the bills are paid, research car/home insurance, mortgage deals, plan trips, etc. etc.

When dh is at home, whilst he will help out, he does spend a lot of time dozing because of the hours he has put in when he was away, or he will maybe take 1 of the dc out for a "treat". Aibu to think that when he is at home he should be doing a lot more to help me? (Or take all 3 out so I can get a break??) Or am I being to harsh?

Astro55 Wed 24-May-17 23:39:23

Nope not harsh

You should share the job/childcare and free time equally

Time to talk

Astro55 Wed 24-May-17 23:41:10

IF he refuses to help - then you put forward hypothetically 'what would you do if I wasn't here?

How would you manage childcare and shopping etc? How would do the washing?

OR ask him to pay for the ironing to be done or a cleaner twice a week

Ceebies Wed 24-May-17 23:54:45

He will help if I ask him, its just all the thinking that exhausts me. I got him to read this today which sums up how am I feeling pretty well www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/money/4561314/women-work-home-gender-gap/%3Fsource%3Ddam

5foot5 Wed 24-May-17 23:59:35

"When dh is at home, whilst he will help out,"....

"Aibu to think that when he is at home he should be doing a lot more to help me?"

Why do you say "help" you? This implies it is really your job and if he does anything around the house he is helping you with your job.

That's bollocks. You both work FT so all these jobs should be shared. Stop referring to it as him helping and say it like it is, pulling hs weight and doing his fair share of the work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now