Talk

Advanced search

To pull out of our house sale?

(17 Posts)
WillowB Wed 24-May-17 22:41:18

At the point of despair with it all really so some perspective needed please!

Background... 2 DC aged 5 & 2, we are lucky to live in a nice house in a lovely area. DS 5 goes to a good oversubscribed local primary. All good so far.
Unfortunately the two closest secondaries are dire and have been since I can remember. Seems to be little prospect of them improving.

We put the house on the market well over a year ago with a view to moving somewhere with a decent primary/secondary before DS started reception.
Sold the house after a couple of months. It fell through sept time after our sellers pulled out. We were gutted as our buyers then pulled out. Took the house off the market over Xmas & put it back on end of jan.
Sold again in March for the asking price. We found a house we loved & all was going well...until a fortnight ago when our sellers pulled out again!!!

We're now about a week away from exchange & faced with moving into rented with two small kids while we wait for somewhere to buy. I just feel drained by it all & am dreading the prospect of moving twice. There is very little on the rental market that isn't tiny or pretty grim. All of the primaries in the areas we're looking at moving/renting are full so would have to drive DS 4-5 miles to school each day.

I just feel like throwing the towel in at this point & waiting 3-4 yearsuntil DS is closer to secondary age but worried I'll regret it later as we'll have to go through all this again. To complicate matters building work has started on 250 new houses at the end of our road which we'll be competing with plus I feel awful about pulling the plug on our chain. 😞
What do I do?!

FanSpamTastic Wed 24-May-17 22:46:00

I would move. It is much harder to move them when they have made friends.

321zerobaby Wed 24-May-17 22:46:26

If I was you I would stay put. It seems a bit of a gamble to move from your nice home imo.

Calvinlookingforhobbs Wed 24-May-17 22:52:02

I would move. Rent short term. You'll kick yourself if you A. Find a house you love in a couple of weeks/months
B. Struggle to sell next time around.

WillowB Wed 24-May-17 23:08:31

Thank you for your replies.
Yes I know logically I probably should bite the bullet & move.
I need to muster up some energy & enthusiasm. I find it hard to get the day to day stuff done, never mind packing up a house & organising removals etc. I'm also worried about the effect on our eldest Ds who is an anxious child, of moving house twice and then possibly moving him from his primary school where he's really settled. I guess it will be harder later though.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 24-May-17 23:13:21

I'd rent, although it's a pain in the butt short term. You're in a really good position to move quickly when you find the house you want. As long as the finances are in place, it's much easier when you don't have to sell.

nocake Thu 25-May-17 10:39:11

We had a moving nightmare a few years ago and ended up moving into rented. Although it was a pain we eventually found a fabulous house and were in a strong position to beat someone else who wanted it.

specialsubject Thu 25-May-17 11:03:14

move if the original motives still hold. You have to sell this one house, grab the opportunity.

a five mile drive to school is hardly a major issue. Park 500 yards away, should be easy.

that said, if you wait a few years, the new builds will be second-hand and less competition.

krustykittens Thu 25-May-17 11:22:14

I would move. Your house sale is money in the bank and when you put an offer in on the next house you want you will be in a far stronger position.

nelipotter Thu 25-May-17 11:36:18

Moving house is tedious but suck it up. Renters at constantly at the beck and call of landlords and in my life I have been forced to move over and over again.
My latest is 2 months notice and I am inbetween jobs so I am going to be broke til the first pay of the new job.
Be grateful you won't have to do it again after you get your dream house.
Pack up your shit and reflect on your good fortune. It's just a bit if extra work - you'll be fine.

Clayhead Thu 25-May-17 11:39:41

We had a moving nightmare a few years ago and ended up moving into rented. Although it was a pain we eventually found a fabulous house and were in a strong position to beat someone else who wanted it.

Exactly this happened to us, it made it SO much easier to buy and was worth it in the long run.

HappyWombat Thu 25-May-17 11:39:53

I'd move into rented. It puts you in a great position from which to move forwards, making you a more attractive purchaser and reduces the chances that something could go wrong.

Squishedstrawberry4 Thu 25-May-17 12:39:42

I would move particularly in light of the market being a bit weird at the moment and maybe you might snap up a bargain given time

IamtheDevilsAvocado Thu 25-May-17 12:54:29

I would move...

Short-term pain for long- term gain! ... Yes it's a total arse ache... BUT you will be very attractive buyers to any sellers and may therefore get a bargain, that other folk won't be able to negotiate as they'll be in a unstable chain!

WillowB Thu 25-May-17 22:31:33

Ok, the consensus seems to be move!
Feeling more positive about it today & have 2 rentals lined up to view so fingers crossed...

RB68 Thu 25-May-17 22:46:56

get rid of as much stuff as possible and take minimal to rental - I would put rest in storage as then its quick to shift to new house and you don't have too much stuff in boxes etc at rental

Squishedstrawberry4 Fri 26-May-17 00:16:49

Yes it's just a short amount of pain. Will be worth it to be in such a strong position soon. Head down, eyes on the prize!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now