Talk

Advanced search

To suspect that the death penalty probably would not be a deterrent for suicide bombers...

(21 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 24-May-17 21:30:02

www.kentnews.co.uk/news/kent-politician-demands-return-of-the-death-penalty-following-manchester-terror-attack-1-5030744?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons

I have to say that I smirked when I saw this posted on Facebook....

Redsrule Wed 24-May-17 21:34:22

Yes just daft!?!?

coconuttella Wed 24-May-17 21:34:25

True! It's a bit like threatening to punish a chocoholic with a bar of dairy milk!

coconuttella Wed 24-May-17 21:35:14

And besides, if they're a suicide bomber, they'd already be dead!

Lweji Wed 24-May-17 21:36:05

Not the brightest person, no.

Ariawyn Wed 24-May-17 21:36:38

Oh ffs hmm

biscuit to the plonker who came up with that!

Whiskwarrior Wed 24-May-17 21:37:24

I saw it on Twitter yesterday.

What an idiot.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Wed 24-May-17 21:38:30

Shes asked for it for 'terrorist crimes' not suicide bombers. Will no one ever read an article and get pas the headline?

babybarrister Wed 24-May-17 21:38:31

Well at least it has raised our spirits in these dark days...

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 24-May-17 21:38:44

To be fair she was talking about terrorist crimes not suicide bombers.

southeastdweller Wed 24-May-17 21:39:14

Moronic post from some ignorant keyboard warrior.

babybarrister Wed 24-May-17 21:40:16

Yes but most current terrorist crime in the UK involves suicide so sadly I am afraid it is still bonkers

AliceTown Wed 24-May-17 21:41:25

To be fair she was talking about terrorist crimes not suicide bombers.

They would still be martyrs.

treaclesoda Wed 24-May-17 21:42:16

The death penalty would never be a deterrent for terrorist crime anyway. History shows that it would more likely create martyrs and fan the flames of hatred. So it's a stupid idea anyway.

Lweji Wed 24-May-17 21:43:49

Yes, she didn't specifically say for suicide bombers, but considering the timing, it's idiotic. The death penalty wouldn't have prevented this happening.

And what constitutes a terrorist crime?
If you highjack a plane but everyone ends up safe, does that deserve the death penalty?
Or if you place a bomb and warn about it to avoid killing people?

I wonder if it's just for Muslim terrorist crimes goo.

Finally, she's not been struggling with the concept. It's just a sound bite to gain notoriety off a tragedy. angry

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 24-May-17 21:44:08

Alice oh I don't agree with it, would make them a bigger martyr for whatever cause it is.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 24-May-17 21:54:31

Given that most people on death row in America wait decades to be actually killed, and the practical difficulties of obtaining required drugs for lethal injection, I'm not sure it's remotely possible on a practical level.

On a moral level, i don't think the death penalty belongs in modern society.

Relating specifically to terrorist crimes, the inevitable legal challenges and prolonged sentencing would just lead to more press attention and be another thing to be used in radicalising people and making anyone killed into a matyr for their cause.

Jux Wed 24-May-17 21:58:46

It wasn't a deterrent when we did have the death penalty. No reason to think it would be now.

babybarrister Wed 24-May-17 21:59:07

Wouldn't it make the terrorist crime more attractive for them though....?!

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 24-May-17 22:02:21

Given that they would quite happily die for their cause in reality I doubt it would matter. It's a moot point anyway really.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 24-May-17 22:34:19

YADNBU. They're mostly suicide bombers, so Obvious they're have no fear of dying. Therefore the death penalty defeats the object. Its about as effective as whispering to thunder.
As far as I can see. There's no solution. I'm terrified as are we all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now