Talk

Advanced search

Ds 5 wiping himself

(27 Posts)
2boytrouble Wed 24-May-17 14:31:08

What age did your children start wiping themselves?

Dp is convinced that ds 5 is not ready! But if I'm honest, I am fed up of wiping him, my sisters children clean themselves from about 3/4

Ds is with dp today and he's just messaged me saying ds has got it all over the tiles, floor and sink! Though this has never happened on my watch!!

Help me out here, Aibu to think that he should be wiping him self! He'll be 6 in October!

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-May-17 14:34:18

How does he manage at school?

I am baffled as to how he's managed to get it everywhere. confused

2boytrouble Wed 24-May-17 14:36:27

I am baffled too! Ds is home schooled!

user1495631929 Wed 24-May-17 14:36:30

My Ds is the same he's 5 and I still wipe him too

Maudlinmaud Wed 24-May-17 14:37:41

Have you shown him how to wipe properly.

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-May-17 14:38:01

Sounds like he could do with a home school lesson in bum wiping.

There comes a time when they need to do these things.

I have a five year old Ds who wipes himself the majority of the time but will shout one of us if he's particularly tired and grumpy,or it's a bit messy hmm 95% of the time he does it himself without fuss, he's perfectly capable at his age.

dementedpixie Wed 24-May-17 14:39:58

It took ds until age 8ish to become proficient at wiping. I started by getting him to have a go and then finish up for him. Dd was able to wipe properly from a slightly earlier age

2boytrouble Wed 24-May-17 14:40:01

He's been shown various times how to do it properly,

elevenclips Wed 24-May-17 14:40:02

My kids wanted me to wipe when they were 5. I think it's fine to continue wiping at this stage. Lots of my friends' kids did at 5 as well.

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-May-17 14:40:03

DSs were going round to play at other people's houses at that age. Does your DS call the friend's parents to wipe his bum for him?

LagunaBubbles Wed 24-May-17 14:40:31

My sons were barely toilet trained at 3, never mind wiping their own bums.

Maudlinmaud Wed 24-May-17 14:41:33

Hate being that person but mine just picked it up during toilet training, they have very private toilet habits. They get funny if you are even near the door.

ILoveDolly Wed 24-May-17 14:42:03

Most 5 year olds are at school and expected to wipe themselves effectively. I can tell you though, judging by the skids in my son's underpants, that he's not totally nailing it yet. But it is age appropriate at 5.

maud I tried to go into the toilet last week when Ds was in there and he shouted 'don't even thinking about coming in here mummy!' I only wanted to put a clean towel in 🙄

Fruitcorner123 Wed 24-May-17 14:48:22

I think 5 is fine to let them do it themselves. If they are regularly not doing a good job then monitor them when they do it.

Maudlinmaud Wed 24-May-17 14:49:28

english mine will go to the downstairs loo if anyone else is upstairs and vice versa. I think I've passed on my weirdness to them tbh hmm

Maudlinmaud Wed 24-May-17 14:51:43

Op those wet wipes might help. In this house they are called frogging freezings as there is/was a little frog on the box. Not sure how environmentally friendly they are.

Cheepandorm Wed 24-May-17 14:57:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissWilmottsGhost Wed 24-May-17 15:00:31

Wet wipes mustn't be flushed Maud they block the drains.

DD (5) wipes herself then yells for me or DH to come and check. 95% of the time she has done a reasonable job, I don't expect perfection at her age but it must be good enough not to get sore at school. She did need persuasion to do it herself at the beginning, she would happily have let a grown up do it forever. I think we started getting her to try about 4 and she has improved a lot since then.

If your DS is still getting poo everywhere he needs a few more lessons and supervision until he gets it right.

Naty1 Wed 24-May-17 15:05:57

Dd was under 4, but got better when starting school. Struggling with folding paper etc.
Fine 99.9% time unless tired/ill at nearly 5.

PuckeredAhole Wed 24-May-17 15:11:16

My 4 year old does it. Sometimes she doesn't do a good job if its a biggun.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 24-May-17 15:33:10

Get him to do it himself then call you to check and finish if necessary

He won't learn a practical skill from just being told, he needs to do it himself to get better at it

TwatteryFlowers Wed 24-May-17 15:34:31

My ds is 6 and still struggles to wipe properly. Sometimes we ask if he's had a poo that day and he'll say yes but that he forgot to wipe hmm or that there was no tissue.

A lot of the time at home he'll do his own bum (I keep showing him where he needs to wipe and how to fold the tissue so that the poo is on the inside) and then I check.

The problem is that his poos always seem to be eternal wipers and I think he ends up thinking, "Sod it, that'll do."

Dd is 4 and her arms aren't yet quite long enough to wipe herself properly so we still have to check her too.

Tazerface Wed 24-May-17 16:13:19

Mine is also six in October and can wipe his own bum. I do sometimes do it for him if he wants me to although he does a good job.

He's not too young at all, and he's not too young to understand that poo everywhere is disgusting. To be fair though, mine will use half a roll for one poo - I reckon yours uses too little so he's getting poo on his fingers then wiping it on the nearest available surface.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now