Talk

Advanced search

'But what about Syria'. Would I be unreasonable to tell this woman to go and fuck herself?

(220 Posts)
Runny Wed 24-May-17 08:38:00

I have a Facebook friend who I think it's fair to say has some very extreme political views that she's not afraid to air. Normally I think live and let live, but she really gets her knickers in a knot over things like the Western bombings of Syria, refugees, Israel etc. I should say I'm also against the bombings in Syria and have donated to refugee charities.

Since the Paris terror attacks she's become very vocal about how Western media organisations ignore the terror attacks that happen in the Middle East, lots of 'why don't we change our FB profile pics to Palestinian flags' and the like. I let that go, even though I think she's talking out of her arse and it's blatantly obvious why our media focus on stuff happening in Europe. Since then with every terror attack that's happened she's posted similar stuff, even when the Westminster attacks happened the other week. This person lives in Central London so it bloody happened on her died doorstep and she was still at it even then!

Then yesterday arrived, my feed was full of comments about how awful and horrific the events in Manchester were. She was uncharacterstically quiet for most of the day, then late afternoon she posts a status 'I weep for the children, children everywhere'. What followed was a load of guff implying it was a 'false flag' designed to rig the election in the Tories favour. I hate the Tories as much as the next person, but come on that's just lunacy!

She's been at it most of the night, posts about fucking Syria, don't forget about Syria. Seriously, there's a time and a place for her crack pot opinions, and I really want to comment telling her she's a fucking insensitive idiot for spouting this now. WIBU to do this? She seems to have a complete empathy bypass. I'm so angry reading her posts, she posts this guff just hours after children have been blown to bits at a pop concert. What the hell is wrong with her?

UnicornSparkles1 Wed 24-May-17 08:42:13

I'm willing to bet that she's desperately trying to provoke a reaction so that she can spout off even more.

You can't argue with crazy, I'd unfollow or even unfriend if she's just a FB friend and you're unlikely to ever run into her.

elephantscansing Wed 24-May-17 08:45:10

Unfriend or unfollow. Don't engage.

She is right in that the Western media do focus more on terrorist attacks in Europe rather than on ones in the Middle East, but now is not the time or the place to be shouting about it.

Runny Wed 24-May-17 08:45:45

I'm not even sure if it's reaction she's after. I think she actually believes what she spouts.

zzzzz Wed 24-May-17 08:45:46

Atrocity top trumps is deeply offensive and seems to be voiced more and more. Just hide her posts.

Whatsername17 Wed 24-May-17 08:45:56

It isn't crackpot to think Western involvement in the Middle East provide extremist recruiters with the fodder they need to recruit. The media make me sick - watching the coverage of the awful events of yesterday was horrific. They interviewed everyone and anyone just to generate air time, even though the people were not directly involved and had no information to share. One kid even said 'can I start by saying Adriana was flawless as always' before talking about nothing. There is a media blackout about events in the Middle East. Your fb friend is being insensitive and, imo, attention seeking, but there is some truth there. Sorry.

BabytoBoris Wed 24-May-17 08:46:56

I have a lot of sympathy with your friends sentiments. I feel aweful for what happened in Manchester but the bombings of hospitals in Syria make me weep for humanity too.
I'm unlikely to post either sentiment on facebook tho.

ToastDemon Wed 24-May-17 08:48:25

I wouldn't post it, and her timing sucks, but she's not wrong.

Maudlinmaud Wed 24-May-17 08:49:16

I would unfriend (not on fb) but I would if I was. Leave her to it, she is entitled to her opinion as are you.

Runny Wed 24-May-17 08:49:46

Well that's just it, why post it now?

'Atrocity top trumps' that's a great name for it. No atrocity is worse than the other. Being upset and horrified about something that happened on your doorstep doesn't mean you stop caring about people in other countries.

araiwa Wed 24-May-17 08:50:18

i mean she's right but it is an inopportune and crass time to go on about it

death tolls similar to Manchester are a daily occurrence in some of these places but they are far away in places we dont know so it often get ignored

but then death counts should never be a competition

GreatFuckability Wed 24-May-17 08:50:22

I don't think her opinions are crack pot. I think she has a valid point. It's 'insensitive' to ignore the deaths of children around the world too.

Although there is a grain of truth in what she is saying about the awful situation in the Middle East there is a time and a place for these comments. An 8 year old child in Manchester has nothing to do with with Syria and we should show respect for the dead, bereaved and injured instead of trying to score political/ideological points. So I would be tempted to tell her to Fuck off but it would probably just feed her ego - I would step away from her.

Kokusai Wed 24-May-17 08:51:41

To be fair, the way terrorist attack was reported yesterday was disgusting. Constantly rolling coverage of nothing, meaningless eyewitness accounts with zero substance.

It is like when something bad happens (e.g. a house fire) and the press go and interview random people:
"Now we're speaking ot Mrs Bates" <who hasn't had any involvement with this, wasn't there, didn't see it, doesn't know anyone
"Oooooooh well I think it is just DISGUSTING! Those poor people, so scared. Your heart just bleeeeeeeds doesn't it? I just never would have thought something like that would happen here you know! Terrible. Just Terrible"

ToastDemon Wed 24-May-17 08:52:31

I've actually had someone on here tell me that "it's different, it's collateral damage" about children blown up by Western airstrikes.
Somehow I don't think the parents would see it that way.

MerryMarigold Wed 24-May-17 08:53:11

I sort of feel the same, but have managed to keep a lid on it because I know it's not the most sensitive of times. Yesterday I just felt so angry and sad - for the children/ families who have senselessly lost their lives, but it did also bring up all those images of children dying for no reason - drowing, bombing, being refused entry to the UK. Children who will never have a chance to go to a music concert, and have never had the privileges our children have. Children are dying all over the world. It is good for us to mourn with those who mourn, but I do think it's got a bit out of control now and the extremes are not healthy ie. don't really care about Syrian kids as long as I send a bit of money, but if it's English kids then it's really tragic. I am sure these kind of reactions are what prompted this sick guy to do this.

Today, MN (luckily not my FB) is full of people being so over dramatic about what happened that it is doing my head in a bit. Claiming the drama as their own (we're all going to die. Imminently). Yes, it is desperately, desperately sad, but it just seems to have got out of control.

I think your friend is just overreacting because she is a lone voice and feeling the need to push strongly in the opposite direction. She's not being very sensitive but I am glad I am not the only one feeling like this. I feel like I can't go on social media at the moment or I'm going to end up losing it with someone who is being over dramatic.

I am sure I will be leapt on for this, but this is how I am feeling today and I just wanted to give you another perspective.

PretendingToBeAMuggle Wed 24-May-17 08:56:08

I don't think she's had an empathy bypass. I think it's deeply depressing that so many people can only express this level of empathy for people of their own nationality. The events in Manchester were horrific and tragic but serve to demonstrate the difference in reaction of the public and media to bombings in the UK vs middle east

UnmentionedElephantDildo Wed 24-May-17 08:58:42

I don't think there is anything wrong with her.

The victims of which she speaks are just as real as those to whom we feel a greater emotional attachment.

If you do not want to consider the plight of those people, then you are free to stop reading about them. But they do exist.

MerryMarigold Wed 24-May-17 08:58:53

Phew! I am glad I am not alone. That's exactly how I feel, Muggle.

Epipgab Wed 24-May-17 09:00:58

Is she a real life friend as well as a FB "friend"?

neonrainbow Wed 24-May-17 09:01:13

Well shes got a point. Look at all the threads on mumsnet from people saying they are scared to do anything now and "omg my child is going somewhere near london in the next year so im panicking " (ie trying to make this all about them) plenty of parents all over the world live with this actual genuine fear every day of their lives and have good reason to - and in a lot of cases due to action taken by western governments and military. So your friend is not being unreasonable to draw parallells. It doesnt mean the loss of lives in Manchester is any less horrific.

PhilODox Wed 24-May-17 09:02:15

The Syrians have lost that many people, including children, every day, and then some. Visited upon them by their own leader.

I am not sure what people living in UK can do about that though. Lobbying our government for intervention is "interfering", how dare we tell others how to act, etc.

Runny Wed 24-May-17 09:02:20

What about the remarks that it was a 'false flag'? That is probably the most disgusting comment of the lot. There is no such thing as a 'false flag' and anyone who thinks there is needs their head examining.

pineapplesquash Wed 24-May-17 09:02:26

I know how you feel. There is truth to what she's saying but there is a time and a place to share it. 'Atrocity top trumps' is a great term to apply to this, I'll be using that.

I can't look at FB today. Yesterday my feed was full of 'I was there 5 years ago! It could have been me!'-type comments. Also of people sharing that Sky News clip of the woman who talked about the 'suspicious smirking woman' next to her, but for some inexplicable reason didn't move herself or her daughter away from this woman. It was full of people trying to score crass political points, armchair counter-terrorist experts, everything apologists and general twattery and too little genuine sympathy.

There's really nothing like a tragic event or an election to make you realise that some of the people you know have strange views. Combine the two and it's enough to make you go off the grid.

Believeitornot Wed 24-May-17 09:03:08

Well you could unfollow her on Facebook.

I agree that the media coverage of this attack is just ridiculous. Also it feeds the criminals who carry out these crimes - because they love the bloody publicity. They love it.

We need a balanced view and some honest questions as to why this is happening. Why are people coming back from places like Syria etc and deciding to kill people here?

To stop it we need to get to the root causes otherwise it will never stop. Never.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now