Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd - vomiting bug and 4 month immunisations?

(15 Posts)
Whatsername17 Wed 24-May-17 08:36:41

Dd2 has been 'off' for the last couple of days - unsettled and cranky, sleeping more frequently but not a settled sleep, waking upset etc. Over the weekend dh had a nasty vomiting bug. I kept him away from the girls as much as possible but he had looked after dd2 the day before. Last night dd2 had a squirty poop and has showered me in sick twice through the night. She's still feeding but is unsettled. Anyway, she's due to have her jabs today. Should I take her? I've phoned the doctors and there isn't anyone who can talk to me to advise. The meningitis immunisation knocked her for six last time.

Epipgab Wed 24-May-17 09:06:13

That's strange there is no-one who can talk to you to advise confused. Did that include the nurses? If the doctors can't speak to you, can the receptionist ask the doctor and come back to you? Can you reschedule anyway, just in case, or phone NHS Direct? What do the receptionists suggest you do?

SunsOutPlumsOut Wed 24-May-17 09:08:15

I would reschedule

dementedpixie Wed 24-May-17 09:09:02

No don't give her immunisations if she is unwell. I would postpone until she is better

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 24-May-17 09:11:34

Postpone immunisations. No point giving her more to fight off if you dont have to.

Notalotterywinner Wed 24-May-17 09:13:31

I would postpone by a week. Our nurse suggested doing it for a simple cold, I would imagine tummy bug even worse.

Whatsername17 Wed 24-May-17 09:14:47

Receptionist just say to do what I think is best. I'll cancel and rearrange. Thanks. Sometimes I worry I'm over reacting.

Bettyspants Wed 24-May-17 09:15:23

I'm a nurse consultant and I wouldn't have given ims whilst a child is unwell. Other than making your baby feel worse you will be exposing other babies to your dc bugs.

BertsBlanket Wed 24-May-17 09:15:57

Don't go - you'll spread d&v around the surgery sad

The vaccinations can wait until next week no prob, plus aren't advised during illness.

BertsBlanket Wed 24-May-17 09:16:27

Cross-post.

Good call!

DesignedForLife Wed 24-May-17 09:29:14

Good call. I always reschedule if they've got a bug that's anything more than a cold. DD got sent away from (private) Men B jab because she had a temp of 38 and no other symptoms (pharmacist said it could affect the effectiveness of the vaccine).

Hope she's better soon.

Fruitcorner123 Wed 24-May-17 09:45:48

I can't believe a doctor's receptionist isn't trained to advise you not to come in with a tummy bug, for goodness sake! Hope your DD feels better soon.

Whatsername17 Wed 24-May-17 10:14:51

I think the receptionists are cautious as they aren't medically trained and do not want to be blamed if something goes wrong. I expected to be able to speak to the nurse though.

Bettyspants Wed 24-May-17 11:03:36

You should have been able to speak to the nurse or the receptionist should have asked for you. To leave the decision up to you wasn't her call , of it was me giving the vaccine I'd have been pretty pissed off

Bettyspants Wed 24-May-17 11:09:25

You should have been able to speak to the nurse or the receptionist should have asked for you. To leave the decision up to you wasn't her call , of it was me giving the vaccine I'd have been pretty pissed off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now