Talk

Advanced search

To keep DD home to avoid chicken pox

(13 Posts)
Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 24-May-17 07:34:28

DD's nursery currently are in the midst of a CP outbreak with at least 8 children off sick. I know that you are most contagious before the spots appear and there is a high chance that there will be children at. Insert who are about to go down with it. Ordinarily I would be all in favour of sending her in and just see what happens BUT we are going on holiday in 10 days time and if she has CP (or if her sister has it thanks to catching it from her) we won't be able to go. There are 2 days of nursery left before this holiday because next week is half term...

Of course, she may already have caught it and was sent home yesterday for being "out of sorts" but has been fine - no temperature, no spots.

So, AIBU if I keep her at home for the next 2 days? Is it being ridiculous?

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 24-May-17 07:35:49

*not at insert at nursery! Clearly. Stupid text predict!

MovingtoParadise Wed 24-May-17 07:36:26

I would definitely keep at her home though it does sound like she's got it sad

Phillipa12 Wed 24-May-17 07:37:01

Nursery isnt compulsary, so in that case keep her off and hope she hasnt caught it already.

kaytee87 Wed 24-May-17 07:38:33

Of course it's ok to keep her off nursery for any reason you fancy.

CormorantDevouringTime Wed 24-May-17 07:38:35

I'd keep her home. Do you have travel insurance?

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 24-May-17 07:39:52

Yes we have got travel insurance but I would rather not have to battle with them for a payout!

dementedpixie Wed 24-May-17 07:41:13

The only problem is that the incubation period is 10-21 days do she could be incubating it already but you won't know until the spots appear

icelollycraving Wed 24-May-17 07:42:55

Keep her home if you can. She may have it if she was off colour. Fingers crossed!
Ds has had it twice. Once on my first day back from mat leave and then again on Boxing Day. Both times no symptoms before the spots.

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 24-May-17 07:44:44

Yes, exactly pixie! I was convinced she had it yesterday but nothing materialised and this morning again no spots! I just took her temperature and it's 36.7. Totally fine! But of course she could get it next week. Or even on holiday! sad

I suppose I felt a bit like we dodged it yesterday and now I'm reluctant to increase the risk further by sending her to nursery. But then I wondered if I was overreacting!

60percentofthetime Wed 24-May-17 07:49:39

If you're able to keep her off nursery then do, however if she was sent home for being 'out of sorts' I would prepare yourself for chicken pox. My DS was out of sorts about 3 days before the first spot appeared, but he wasn't too bad with them and was scabbed over within the week. Fingers crossed for you!

UnicornSparkles1 Wed 24-May-17 07:51:53

I'd definitely keep her off. Good luck, hope you make it on holiday!

splendide Wed 24-May-17 08:03:47

You can vaccinate post exposure and she may either not get it or get it mildly. Just a thought if you have a clinic nearby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now