Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To quarantine MIL

(11 Posts)
Raisinbrain Wed 24-May-17 02:03:40

MIL has just arrived from Indonesia with a stinking cold. She is supposed to be staying with us on the sofa for a couple of weeks. We've suggested she stay in a hotel for a couple of nights until she feels a bit better and we will pay half as we don't want to all get sick. DS2 is 18 months and constantly ill and he has a blood disorder that means he suffers more and can't shake it off as quickly. I know that keeping her out of the house won't guarantee we won't catch it and she may well still be contagious when she comes back but we're hoping less so. It's my DH driving this as he is a worrier and is always getting sick himself but he's feeling guilty now as he thinks she is upset.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 24-May-17 02:11:58

I think your DC's illness means yanbu. I'd leave DH to talk to her though.

DIVivienneDeering Wed 24-May-17 02:12:54

Not u at all. She is staying for weeks; a couple of days won't hurt and she'll get better more quickly if she is sleeping in a bed and can rest during the day, which she wouldn't be able to do on the sofa. Plus presumably a few nights in a hotel will make getting over jet lag easier. Either way it's just a few days in the scheme of things, plus if she's ill she won't be up to much anyway.

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 24-May-17 02:13:00

I think you should pay all of it...

I'd be upset too, and worried about the money, feeling you were less than generous. I'd also get her chocs and flowers and a card for her room. And pint out how much you both love her,

And mid the point constantly about the blood disorder.

Goosegettingfat Wed 24-May-17 02:19:02

What Orlando said

Only1scoop Wed 24-May-17 02:49:08

Staying on the sofa
Never mind the catching her germs....you can't expect her to do that if she's I'll. I'd book her a hotel but I wouldn't charge her shock

RaeSkywalker Wed 24-May-17 02:54:36

I'd book her into a hotel but pay for it all. I'd also talk to her first about why it's necessary.

Raisinbrain Wed 24-May-17 03:17:03

Thanks all. I would happily pay if we could afford it but we don't have any money so it's unfortunately not possible. We can only stretch to one night out of our own pockets and I feel like she needs at least two days to recover sad

Raisinbrain Wed 24-May-17 08:51:11

Thanks for the flowers, chocolate and card idea

highinthesky Wed 24-May-17 08:57:22

Of course, DS2 comes first. I'd share exactly the same (justifiable) anxieties with an immunocompromised child.

Does MIL come from Indonesia, or was it a holiday? I ask because if this is a trip especially to see you, you'll need to put in a lot of effort to both explain without causing offence, and making it up to her.

FlossyMooToo Wed 24-May-17 09:01:28

You should pay for 1 night and see how it goes. Its a cold and if she has had it a day or more another 24 hours and she should be a lot better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now