Talk

Advanced search

To not want to pay nursery fee

(55 Posts)
mummytwoshoes Tue 23-May-17 22:01:28

Got a call whilst en route to collect DD from nursery to say that 3 loose nappies meant she had to come home, and also she's not allowed back for 48 hours meaning she'll miss one of her nursery days (not there everyday). AIBU to feel that since they've stipulated the non attendance then I shouldn't have to pay for it?

C0untDucku1a Tue 23-May-17 22:03:11

Thats not how it works

Seenoevil Tue 23-May-17 22:04:36

Yes you should pay, your paying for them to keep her space open for her. If she's unwell and can't go in then that's not the nurserys fault.

I'm not saying it's fair but that's the way it is and I would imagine it's in the contract you signed when you were given her place.

oblada Tue 23-May-17 22:06:59

It depends on the wording of your contract, simple as that. I understand the annoyance though, but I understand the rule as well. Thankfully all of our caregivers so far have been reasonable with things like that and would only have requested our girls to be off if they were actually sick (but then they never needed to request or exclude as I would keep my girls home anyway). How is your DD? Signs of tummy bug?

pinkblink Tue 23-May-17 22:07:04

Any other symptoms apart from the nappies? I'd be pretty pissed off having to pay for my child's nursery place if it was teething!

harderandharder2breathe Tue 23-May-17 22:07:13

It's not your fault but it's not theirs either. Their rules are to protect the children (and staff) from getting ill, not just for fun.

So yes you should pay. If they didn't charge for non attendance then the daily/hourly costs would have to be much higher to build in a tolerance for days missed due to sickness.

HardplaceandRock Tue 23-May-17 22:07:47

It would have been in the contract that you would still pay if your child is ill and possibly also set out the "exclusion" periods for each illness....pretty standard practice for any nursery.

Littlefish Tue 23-May-17 22:08:11

Every nursery setting I know has the same rule.

Helloitsme88 Tue 23-May-17 22:10:48

Well if your child were ill and passed it on to mine because you didn't follow the 48 hour rule then I would be pissed. Suck it up. Am thinking troll due to the number of recent nursery posts. Do people actually think like this.... never in my experience and I work in education...

EweAreHere Tue 23-May-17 22:13:08

If your child doesn't have a fever, I would challenge them if you think s/he is just teething.

mummytwoshoes Tue 23-May-17 22:14:42

Pretty certain it's teething which is the annoying thing. No sickness or signs of temp at all. Two nappies were before 9am, the third at 5 so I feel like it's a bit of an over reaction from the nursery. Of course if DD was genuinely ill I wouldn't even be thinking like this, she would be my main concern!

Starlight2345 Tue 23-May-17 22:15:23

Yes you are paying for her space to be kept open. the staff are employed to ensure ratio status's are kept.

If you want your child cared for by someone else when sick you need to employ a nanny.

Crunchymum Tue 23-May-17 22:16:19

Don't be the parent dick who challenges the sickness rules.

Just be thankful they are so vigilant.

It's an inconvenience yes, but as you say OP it is only one of your childs scheduled days.

WhereIsTheLikeButton Tue 23-May-17 22:18:30

YABU rules are rules.

The nursery's costs will remain the same, even thoughnyour child is absent - they won't be able to adjust the staffing ratios to take account of the fact that there is one less child,and the electricity, rent, insurance etc will still be the same - which is why you still need to pay, if your child is absent.

Pollaidh Tue 23-May-17 22:31:46

This is standard.

Sara107 Tue 23-May-17 22:34:05

You still have to pay if the child is sick or on holiday. The nursery can't sack a member of staff, or turn the heating off just because a child is off sick for a couple of days. The 48 hour rule is standard, and I wish more parents were honest about sticking to it. Otherwise the yucky tummies just go round everyone. There was a sickness bug in dD's school for about a month before Easter, a lot of children were sent back in too soon and got sick again at school. Vile for everyone, and kept the bug circulating until the two week Easter break broke the cycle of infection. If you only want to pay for the days you use then you would need some sort of and hoc arrangement where you just book a day as and when you need it, but you take the risk they won't have a space that day.

tissuesosoft Tue 23-May-17 22:36:37

DD has had 6 days total in hospital (3 and 3) the past month and missed another 3 days at the CM. DP and I have lost in total £600 in wages during that time. We have to pay the childminder for the 7 days she has been absent. Just what it is. I wouldn't want to see the CM without wages.

Daddystepdaddy Tue 23-May-17 22:37:23

Our nursery is pretty reasonable about this and often let us swap days in such circumstances.

fabulous01 Tue 23-May-17 22:39:50

You must be new to the world of nursery.... get used to it. You will have lots of illness and being banned to come

Tillymintsmama Tue 23-May-17 22:46:23

Is your child actually ill? Like others have said, is it just a teething thing? I would challenge if you don't think she is actually ill. A 'loose' nappy is one thing, but D&V is another!!!

trickydickie Tue 23-May-17 22:58:04

www.nhs.uk/conditions/diarrhoea/Pages/Introduction.aspx

nhs guidance is to stay home for at least 48 hours after last bout of diarrhoea. The nursery have a duty of care to not only your child but all children in their care.

HollyAndIvyTime Tue 23-May-17 22:58:16

It's totally reasonable. THey have to keep the space open for her - it's not like they can give it to someone else for those days and still have their income. THey are a business, not a charity!

3 loose nappies and sent home is our nuresry policy too, so reasonably standard. But if you do think it's teething, and given the timings, I'd be tempted to talk to them about it and see what they say.

Swapping days is possible in some nurseries, like someone said above. But certainly not all - if they are full to capacity then there won't be space for swapping days around unfortunately.

cordeliavorkosigan Tue 23-May-17 23:06:16

actually I'm on your side especially if there is no fever and you are quite confident it's teething. not clear how much good the 48 hour rule does - many bugs are contagious before they are symptomatic - and it's a waste of time and money when they aren't ill.
for me one sign of a good nursery is having good judgement across the board, including things like this; not being thoughtlessly rule-bound

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 23-May-17 23:08:16

By loose nappy do they actually mean diarrhoea? Because if they didn't I would be pretty pissed off as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now