Talk

Advanced search

Or is this discrimination

(6 Posts)
Panda81 Tue 23-May-17 19:58:39

I've NC for this.

I took on extra responsibility last year when my old manager changed roles. In my annual review at the start of this year my new line manager recognised this and entered it on to our annual review system, without me needing to point it out. Great I thought!

I felt this was an ideal time to discuss salary review for role. At the time they knew I was pregnant but I didn't want this to stop me asking for it to be looked at as I felt the extra responsibility and other similar jobs in the market justified the increase.

I didn't hear anything for a while but when I chased up a few weeks back I was told they were reluctant because they were advertising my maternity cover on my current salary and wanted to see what applicants they could get.

We interviewed 3 people and only 1 was suitable for 2nd interview and they have offered her the role.

I've not heard anything further about my salary review. I will probably have to raise it again and I anticipate they will say no based on being able to offer someone the role on my salary, even though they have already commented there are some skill gaps.

Something about this situation does not feel right to me, that 3 months later I still haven't had a response and it's all been linked to my maternity cover.

What do you think? AIBU to think this is unreasonable and potentially discriminatory? WWYD?

CandleLit Tue 23-May-17 20:13:05

Do you have any idea what salary they are offered for the cover for your role? CIPD report on successful discriminatory claims so you could look there to see if any of the reports match you situation.

Panda81 Tue 23-May-17 20:14:34

I know what it was advertised at but I have no way of knowing what was agreed with the job offer - I wouldn't put it past them to pay more for the cover!

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 23-May-17 20:28:24

Sometimes though they will pay more for the cover because of the short term nature of the contract and the fact that people would just otherwise look for a permanent position. If they need to fill specific jobs requiring specific skills then they will pay a premium for short term.

Panda81 Tue 23-May-17 20:42:59

I think my argument is that it shouldn't have anything to do with the maternity cover whatsoever. It should be about what they were paying me to do before vs the additional responsibility I've taken on. Which is what they would have had to do if I wasn't pregnant (as they wouldn't have been advertising my role).

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 23-May-17 21:24:51

No whatever they are paying for cover should not impact on your review/rise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now