Talk

Advanced search

About Vigils?

(31 Posts)
gunsandbanjos Tue 23-May-17 18:29:34

There's always a mass vigil after terrorist incidents and they just give me shivers. Those people feel like sitting ducks.

I understand people want to show defiance but I keep thinking it won't be long before they are targeted.

TheNewSchmoo Tue 23-May-17 19:18:06

What a revolting and ill timed thread.

HeyHoThereYouGo657 Tue 23-May-17 19:24:53

hmm

LapinR0se Tue 23-May-17 19:30:39

I know exactly what you mean OP

gunsandbanjos Tue 23-May-17 19:33:27

In what way is it revolting and ill timed?

These lunatics like soft targets and what is softer than thousands of people standing out in the open?

It's a genuine concern, you can virtually guarantee a vigil after one of these dreadful events and these guys will know that.

Herbie22 Tue 23-May-17 19:34:02

But I've never known a vigil to be attacked.

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Tue 23-May-17 19:35:46

Sometimes there are times to stand up and be counted. Standing together against evil. To be brave.

gunsandbanjos Tue 23-May-17 19:36:15

Not yet Herbie, for which I'm sure we are all grateful. They just scare me.

AnyFucker Tue 23-May-17 19:38:46

My teenager is just home from the Manchester vigil

He wanted to pay his respects with his friends, all together. These events facilitate that. The atmosphere on a warm sunny evening in a beautiful part of a devastated city was profound

I am glad he went. He will remember these events all his life.

Instasista Tue 23-May-17 19:39:33

You're statistically safer than ever immediately after a terrorist attack.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 23-May-17 19:42:43

They are important, but I agree when looking at the large crowd attending they looked quite vulnerable. People have a need to go though.

Just some breaking news about an attack with a knife at the Birmingham vigil, so some bastard had the same idea OP.

gunsandbanjos Tue 23-May-17 19:44:16

That's good to hear anyfucker.

I am fully onboard with community pulling together and standing up against these evils.

I just can't shake the nagging fear in the back of my mind.

Ravenblack Tue 23-May-17 19:46:11

I agree that there is nothing revolting and ill timed about this. It's a good question. Never known a vigil be attacked though. Let's hope one never is.

And I think people get together to show solidarity and to show that we will not be scared.

AnyFucker Tue 23-May-17 19:48:04

I get the fear, guns

He asked me if he could go and I hesitated. But only for a split second.

gunsandbanjos Tue 23-May-17 19:51:17

It's a difficult line to walk between looking out for the safety of our children and letting them do what they need to do.

BandeauSally Tue 23-May-17 19:54:34

I have to say, this was also my first thought when I saw the photo of the vigil in my nearest city this evening. That isn't to say I think they shouldn't happen. They should l, absolutely! But I also think it could be an "easy" target for anyone who was planning another attack.

AnyFucker Tue 23-May-17 19:57:32

The atmosphere would have been incredible.

BuckinghamLass Tue 23-May-17 20:04:00

I thought the same thing, sadly. It made me think of the peace rally bombing in Ankara a couple of years ago.

I hope people still turn out for events like this though, it's important for the community to come together in solidarity.

Leanback Tue 23-May-17 22:30:26

I went to the Manchester vigil today. I felt safe. I also found the experience very healing after a day of numbness- the silence as Tony Walsh spoke was electric.

LittleBooInABox Tue 23-May-17 22:34:30

It's a worrying thought. And I wouldn't he surprised, they attacked a concert full of children and young people. How long before they attack vigils.

BandeauSally Tue 23-May-17 22:46:22

There was an incident at the vigil in Birmingham today. One man arrested. He was carrying a knife and a baseball bat.

SealSong Tue 23-May-17 22:51:45

I think vigils like that are important...psychologically, for individuals, and in bringing communities together. There is risk, yes, but the positive gains of coming together and finding collective strength are massive for a wounded community.

123beanie Tue 23-May-17 22:54:41

I've had the same sad thoughts OP. However I do agree that they are so important in showing our solidarity. It's a difficult situation really

SauvignonBlanche Tue 23-May-17 23:04:29

My DS who is at Uni in Manchester was caught up in the crowd last night and was quite shaken when I spoke to him this morning.

I spoke to him again just after the vigil and he sounded so much better, he said ther was a real feeling of solidarity.

People need to share their experiences. Policing would be very high profile.

LynetteScavo Tue 23-May-17 23:22:15

I thought the same as the OP when I saw the vigil on the news.

But it's important for people to come together, for many reasons.

And realistically, schools, hospitals, churches, train stations, shopping centres and anywhere else people come together would be perfect for a terrorist to do maximum harm sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now