Talk

Advanced search

Just Add Fuel

(10 Posts)
VelvetSpoon Tue 23-May-17 17:33:07

AIBU to consider this to resolve current car crisis?

(thread in chat, car got repaired badly by mechanic who is now AWOL, car is possibly now beyond economic repair according to mot center/ recovery chap)

DS (18) and I share car. We've both only been driving a year or less. I bought current car 2 years ago, it was only £600 but I have always been on tenterhooks worrying it will go wrong (i have anxiety) and now it has.

Lots of DSs friends have cars through this scheme, includes insurance and all running costs (except fuel!).

I just feel for me it would be a lot less stressful than buying another car. Atm my insurance alone is over £150 a month and this will prob increase on renewal due to recent insurance changes...

So wwyd if you were me?

honeysucklejasmine Tue 23-May-17 17:35:04

How much does the deal cost that you're looking at? Is that £150 a month your current costs for you and you daughter?

Tazerface Tue 23-May-17 17:38:04

I would do it in a heartbeat.

Our car is old, I've been driving a long time but had a period with no car ownership so very little no claims. So I'm paying fucking loads on insurance for a shitty car.

Unfortunately I need a people carrier and I don't have enough to put down as a deposit.

VelvetSpoon Tue 23-May-17 17:39:56

The deals are £260 upwards a month i think, depending on the particular car, DSs friends pay around £300.

Insurance cost is for us both, without DS my last quote was about £700 for the year.

NameNotANumber Tue 23-May-17 17:42:01

My friend has a car on this scheme and can't speak highly enough of it. I think this is her 2nd or 3rd car. She was driving old cars previously and ended up spending loads on repairs / MOTs etc only for it to then be terminal and have to be scrapped and costed out that the lease car was cheaper overall.

AroseforEmily Tue 23-May-17 17:43:05

Just be aware there will be a mileage limit.

MOIST Tue 23-May-17 17:58:24

DD2 pays £230 a month. It works really well for her. Black box monitoring too which reassures me she's not driving like a nutter.

When I pay off my current loan I am considering doing the same.

RebootYourEngine Tue 23-May-17 18:01:38

I looked at this when i was buying a car and for a small cheap car the deposit needed was thousands of pounds.

Have you looked at the deals and deposits etc

Tazerface Tue 23-May-17 18:03:39

Bloody hell your insurance is the same as mine and I've been driving 17 years with no accidents sad

VelvetSpoon Tue 23-May-17 22:40:19

Name, this is kind of my fear, that although I had 2 years with current car and it's not been too bad, who knows if the next cheap car would be as good. I know a few people who paid £500ish for cars that barely made it home the day they were bought...

The mileage thing deffo not an issue, we do about 5-6000 a year, I think their limit is about 8000 so we should be OK.

I do need to look at the deals. Currently considering whether actually I let DS do the just add fuel (as he should be starting a job soon so could pay £200 odd a month) and get another car myself on an interest free deal, as I can put some savings towards it, or use a credit card with 0% interest on transfers. Depends on cost, insurance etc, and on DS getting a job.

My insurance is only 700 because I'm over 40, have 1 years no claims (as I had the car last year when still a learner), and it's a very cheap, tiny car. I think a more experienced driver would probably only pay about £2-300 for cover on a car like mine!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now