Talk

Advanced search

Why the, insert expletive, are they having a garden party at Buckingham palace today?

(108 Posts)
hellokittymania Tue 23-May-17 17:21:07

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that it's in very bad taste? I just can't get my head around it.

RhiWrites Tue 23-May-17 17:22:26

Probably planned for months and honour people who have provide a service to their community. They will doubtless have a moments silence or something similar.

FelicityGubbins Tue 23-May-17 17:23:48

It will have been planned months in advance and there will be a lot of people still planning to turn up for their special day..

ComingUpTrumps Tue 23-May-17 17:23:51

Probably planned for months and honour people who have provide a service to their community. They will doubtless have a moments silence or something similar.

This.

ImperialBlether Tue 23-May-17 17:24:21

Most people didn't know about the bombing until this morning. How could Buckingham Palace cancel? They wouldn't have been able to get in touch with people.

Idratherhaveacupoftea Tue 23-May-17 17:24:40

I would imagine trying to cancel hundreds of people who have come from all over the country would be nearly impossible. Also everyone must just try to carry on as normal, life can't just stop I'm afraid.

flapjackfairy Tue 23-May-17 17:25:38

Yes people will have travelled from far and wide to be honoured. V hard to cancei would imaginel They held a minutes silence and i say good on em ! We should all stick 2 fingers up at the terrorists and carry on !

bigbluebus Tue 23-May-17 17:25:50

Because they have invited 8000 people who are travelling from all over the country so it would have been impossible to contact them all in time to cancel it. The people invited have done good things in their community so deserve that to be recognised. We cannot let terrorists rule the country.
As a PP said, I'm sure they will mark the terrible events of last night in some way durning the afternoon.

hellokittymania Tue 23-May-17 17:26:00

Ah ok, makes more sense now.

RoseAndRose Tue 23-May-17 17:27:05

"As a PP said, I'm sure they will mark the terrible events of last night in some way durning the afternoon."

According to news reports, a minute's silence, led by the Queen, was observed.

EddieHitler Tue 23-May-17 17:27:43

As above. Plus, as awful as it is, we have to go on as normal, otherwise the bastards win.

Birdsgottaf1y Tue 23-May-17 17:27:59

There's three dates a year that these take place, some of the people attending might not be here next year, so it isn't easy to just cancel.

They had a minutes silence.

I think that it should have gone ahead.

Why do you think it shouldn't?

Laiste Tue 23-May-17 17:29:13

Yes, as eddie says, why let them change our lives? By all means mark the tragedy with a silence or a speech - but lets not allow them to win.

hellokittymania Tue 23-May-17 17:30:42

I think I had the wrong idea of garden party. I thought it was just a family thing and that's why I couldn't believe it. Now I understand that it's a community thing and thousands of people attend. I can understand better as to why they are doing it.

DPotter Tue 23-May-17 17:31:20

IF we cancel events such as the Buckingham palace garden party, we are doing what the terrorists want

Lochan Tue 23-May-17 17:31:24

Did you think the Queen just woke up this morning, thought "it's a nice day let's have a party"?

MumIsRunningAMarathon Tue 23-May-17 17:32:08

Nice try at a bit of royal bashing though op!hmm

Lochan Tue 23-May-17 17:32:21

Cross post.

hellokittymania Tue 23-May-17 17:32:46

That's true, Laiste, what happened was really scary though.

PurpleDaisies Tue 23-May-17 17:33:01

If you had a party planned for today, would you cancel it?

What's happened is awful but I agree with those saying life has to go on or the terrorists win.

ImperialBlether Tue 23-May-17 17:34:15

Did you REALLY think that the Buckingham Palace Garden Parties are just for the relatives? Did you think it was a BBQ?

Blinkyblink Tue 23-May-17 17:36:27

I am SO pleased they didn't cancel.

It would have been another success on their eyes.

AnotherEmma Tue 23-May-17 17:38:11

YABU for "insert expletive"
Fuck would have done nicely wink
Or hell if you're feeling polite

hellokittymania Tue 23-May-17 17:38:18

Imperial, yes, I'm glad people explained what it was.

I don't know who attends the American Thanksgiving at the White House either. Not something I really think about. If somebody does know i'm curious now, so please tell me.

glenthebattleostrich Tue 23-May-17 17:38:51

Because the best way to deal with these monsters is to say fuck you. I'm not stopping because you are pissed off with the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now