Talk

Advanced search

To want to live near a really busy main road

(19 Posts)
witchofzog Tue 23-May-17 14:01:36

I just think I am a bit odd. I grew up living behind a bypass and I find the noise really comforting. Especially the noise of motorbikes. The bypass was near a popular biker cafe and the noise of motorbikes can send me to sleep in minutes. But I had a shitty time in that house due to crap abusive parents so I don't understand why something that reminds me of that time is so appealing to me.

I am weird. I must be

MusicToMyEars800 Tue 23-May-17 14:06:00

No you're not weird, it's just a familiar sound that in a way is comforting to you, I live right next to a very busy road and I didn't grow up next to one, but I do find the sound of cars going by quite comforting too.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 23-May-17 14:12:07

I struggle with silence. I grew up in a flat in the centre of town above the main strip of shops and clubs.
I find it makes me jumpy and I can't settle.

witchofzog Wed 24-May-17 10:12:29

I guess it is what you are used to. I think for me I wonder why I love the noise so much when that house wasn't a happy one and it reminds me of that.

gleam Wed 24-May-17 10:20:45

Perhaps you focussed on the traffic noise instead of what else was going on and so it's calming?

ToastDemon Wed 24-May-17 10:22:30

We were wondering the other day who buys the houses near busy roads so thank you, you've cleared up a mystery grin

user1491572121 Wed 24-May-17 10:23:38

YANBU in one way but the toxic air on roadsides would put me off. Especially if I had children.

peachgreen Wed 24-May-17 10:28:22

Ooh, this is interesting - we're just about to make an offer on a house next to a busy(ish) road - it's only a B road but a bit of a commuter highway so busy in the mornings and evenings. DH isn't bothered at all but I'm slightly concerned that the noise when I'm in the garden will drive me nuts!

Birdsgottaf1y Wed 24-May-17 10:30:42

I loved living on a busy road (especially when there was a good chippy just over the road.

There were Police up and down constantly. People around of a night. No kids hung around on it and everyone knew that it had cameras, so no dealing/fights etc.

user1491572121 Wed 24-May-17 10:30:52

The noise wouldn't worry me Peach but the fumes.

Hulababy Wed 24-May-17 10:34:07

I lived in the city centre when Dd was tiny. So lots of noise all day and in the night too - the sound of cars and people, bottle collections, etc.

We nicest to our current house in the edge of the city near countryside etc and it took us ages to feel 'normal' with the silence at night.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 24-May-17 10:34:12

I grew up next to the midland main line to London. Never bothered me in the slightest. I would have no problem buying a house next to a railway.

peachgreen Wed 24-May-17 10:36:53

@User Yes I did worry about that but I really don't think it's busy enough - even at rush hour we're talking maybe 2-4 cars a minute. It's a 30 zone and single track. It just seems busy to me because I grew up in the country!

Dianneabbottsmathsteacher Wed 24-May-17 10:40:15

Not strange at all. I couldn't ever live in the depths of the countryside with no street lights. I once stayed on a mates farm in the arse end of nowhere and caused great amusement when I asked her dad why the street lights weren't switched on. wink I had never see. Real deep dark in my life and hated it.

Astro55 Wed 24-May-17 10:42:51

We've lived by a busy main road and very close to a train line - you stop hearing it!

We moved to somewhere really quiet and dark which took a lot of getting used too!!

user1491572121 Wed 24-May-17 11:06:07

Peach oh that doesn't sound bad! I live on a street like that...I thought people meant living near motorways!

wonkylegs Wed 24-May-17 11:12:17

We moved to the countryside from the city centre a few years ago and it took us ages to get used to the noise.
In town the traffic noise & the noise of the metro was generally predictable and rhythmic by contrast the countryside is soooooo noisy.
Tractors, foxes, owls.... Birds generally, chickens, horses & sheep that live further down our lane, bikers on sunny days.
We got used to it after a few months and I love it but it's not quiet by any means and it never ever stops.

Oblomov17 Wed 24-May-17 12:01:37

Really? God, I hate it with a passion. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, but dh lived set back from a quiet main road. But, tbf lots of people live on a main road, some of them not as busy or noisy as others.

SkyBluePinkToday Wed 24-May-17 12:37:22

We live near a busy airport - my daughter has been listening to the planes flying overhead her whole life and loves it.
I grew up in the country and I hate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now