Talk

Advanced search

Suspected UTI symptoms - any advice please?

(48 Posts)
ComingUpTrumps Tue 23-May-17 11:08:56

Hello everyone.

Sorry again not AIBU but posting for advice and traffic please.

Also couldn't be bothered to name change - sorry! blush

Sorry this is a bit grim but have a suspected UTI (urinary tract infection).

Have never had one before, but thought I might have an infection because of how I've been feeling.

It started on Sunday evening - i went the loo (maybe more than usual?) Each time, I felt as if I hadn't quite emptied my bladder even when I actually had.

I also felt uncomfortable after emptying my bladder, as if I had more in my bladder to empty. I've had a general feeling of discomfort around the bladder area and 'down there' too (sorry, don't know any technical terms to be more precise blush) The discomfort I was feeling there reminded me a bit of how I felt during a cervical smear test a few weeks ago.

Have had nausea and headaches since earlier this morning, and an uncomfortable sensation as if something is pressing on my stomach and making me want to empty my bladder even when I have just gone to the toilet.

My stomach felt quite hard to the touch this morning too.

I've tried to eat relatively carefully since Sunday evening e.g. porridge oats, dried fruit and nuts (basically what I have in the cupboard at home!) and drinking lots of water for possible constipation. But haven't had a big appetite since then.

Off now to get some yogurts in the vague idea it might make me feel better.

I've booked a doctor's appointment for tomorrow morning just to get a second opinion. I thought briefly I could be appendifcits but I'm sure I'd be in a lot more pain if that were the case.

Any advice please?

Thanks smile

LostandConfused24 Tue 23-May-17 11:12:06

Is there an odd "tingly" feeling at the end of urination?
I had my first UTI a few months ago and always had to go little amounts but always belt my bladder was full. At the end I would get this really uncomfortable tingly discomfort and I just wanted to cry. I didn't want to do anything it was so bad.
I called the GP and they put me on a 3 day antibiotic which made it go away for a few days but then it came back and they put me on a 7 day antibiotic and it's been completely gone since.
Drinking a lot of water helped me as well.

Allthewaves Tue 23-May-17 11:13:04

Ridiculous amounts of water and some cystitis sachets from the chemist

ComingUpTrumps Tue 23-May-17 12:52:42

Thanks Lost and All!

Yep it does feel a bit tingly Lost - and god yes I want to cry too! Just want to go to bed and do nothing - but it feels like one of those things where I just feel that I'm going to be uncomfortable whatever I'm doing. Antibiotics is a really good call - I'm going to ask for some when I go to the doctor's tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help smile

VolunteerAsTribute Tue 23-May-17 13:28:19

You can get the magic sachets of stuff to mix with water from supermarkets and pharmacies.

I've also had a pee test done in a Tesco pharmacy to confirm that I needed antibiotics for a UTI when the sachets wouldn't shift it.

I used to get them every 6 months or so. Usually after a longer sex session with DH (lazy Sunday mornings).

RuggerHug Tue 23-May-17 13:36:39

Lemon barley water too, as much as you can. Try to flush it out before it really takes hold. And good luck, they don't tickle envy not envy

DixieFlatline Tue 23-May-17 13:37:23

Looooads of cranberry juice.

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Tue 23-May-17 13:41:02

@DixieFlatline - I thought cranberry juice only worked to prevent UTIs if they hadn't already started? I thought the advice was to avoid cranberry juice if you're in the middle of a UTI in case it traps the bacteria in? I might be talking bollocks here so feel free to tell me I am.

PinkDaffodil2 Tue 23-May-17 13:45:22

If there is a walk in clinic near you then you might be able to get a we test and antibiotics today. Also some GP practices have afternoon book on the day appointments for urgent things (this counts!).

DixieFlatline Tue 23-May-17 13:46:00

I've never heard anything like that. I don't know how that would work - the substance in cranberry juice is supposed to prevent bacterial adhesion, so I'm not sure how that would result in them being blocked in.

Regardless, when looking it up to check, it seems that the substance is mostly gone by the time it gets to your bladder, unless you're drinking insane amounts of juice or taking cranberry capsules. So ignore the cranberry juice advice anyway, sorry! Unless it helps you drink more fluid of course.

PinkDaffodil2 Tue 23-May-17 13:46:38

In the mean time I'd take max dose ibuprofen and paracetamol (or over the counter co-codamol) and drink plenty of fluids.

Foolytoo Tue 23-May-17 16:19:08

Lemon and water and loads of it

sparkli Tue 23-May-17 16:27:54

Phone your GP and explain you need an urgent appointment. DD16 told me she thought she had a UTI at lunchtime. Phoned our GP and she was seen and given antibiotics by 3pm.

In the meantime, lots of water, cranberry juice, hot water bottle and painkillers. Hope you feel better soon.

milkjetmum Tue 23-May-17 16:37:25

My recipe is half pint of water every 20 mind, weak tea once an hour, hot water bottle, distraction, painkillers. But if it's your first get down the docs for a urine test as you might have kidney infection rather than just cystitis

LurkingHusband Tue 23-May-17 16:39:07

I thought cranberry juice only worked to prevent UTIs if they hadn't already started? I thought the advice was to avoid cranberry juice if you're in the middle of a UTI in case it traps the bacteria in? I might be talking bollocks here so feel free to tell me I am.

UTIs are very common with MS (MrsLH has had enough for a lifetime).

Cranberry juice makes the urine slightly acidic. Which is great if your UTI is caused by bacteria which don't like acid. Unfortunately, there are some which love the extra acidity, so taking cranberry juice (or tablets) is probably the worst thing to do.

If the body can't deal with it by itself (lots of water) the it should be Doctor, culture, and the right antibiotic.

EddieHitler Tue 23-May-17 16:53:46

Try to avoid caffeine and keep hydrated but don't drink too much, just have a glass water regularly. If there's going to be a gap between drinks for any reason, and definitely at bedtime, have a glass of cranberry juice (Ocean Spray) so that it sits in your bladder.

Cranberry works for me, but from what I've read, it only works if your infection is e-coli.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Tue 23-May-17 16:56:20

I have a UTI at the moment

I googled after being up for three hours in the night and it said a teaspoon of bicarb in a pint of water

Fucking miracle i tell you!!!!

I am still on antibiotics but that night it stopped the pain long enough for me to get back to sleep

Go to the doctors and get antibiotics if you are still feeling symptoms today because it will get worse and can cause a kidney infection which is nasty. Keep drinking plenty of water and avoid caffeine.

icy121 Tue 23-May-17 17:12:33

1.5 tsp of bicarb of soda in a pint glass of tepid water. Repeat repeat repeat.

bunnylove99 Tue 23-May-17 17:23:44

I feel for you OP. I've had one past 2 days and it's absolutely awful. Make sure you have pain killers in for tonight and a hot water bottle as I'm afraid it can worsen really quickly. Also lots of water and health salts if you can.. Make sure you get to GP tomorrow for antibiotics. Take a urine sample with you. I started antibiotics yesterday but still feel rotten, hoping they will kick in soon. flowers

SM1234 Tue 23-May-17 17:31:18

Hi

UTIs have been a real nightmare for me in the past and i was told by the nurses at the clinic to avoid cranberry juice because the sugar can act as an irritant. Antibiotics are the best solution but the consultant i ended up seeing recommended Uva-ursi which is herbal medicine from whole food, holland and barett or a good boots (tablets or drops) and if used at the first signs really knock it on the head without the need for antibiotics - that's the best advice i've ever been give and (touch wood) i've not needed antibiotics since.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon x

strongandmilky Tue 23-May-17 17:32:02

OP I feel your pain, having just finished a course of antibiotics for this.

See if you can get a sample pot from a pharmacy so you've got a urine sample ready to take in with you.

Ibuprofen can help as it reduces any inflammation. Avoid caffeine as it can act as an irritant.

Cystopurin sachets really helped

Hope you feel better soon

ComingUpTrumps Tue 23-May-17 17:42:22

Oh gosh sorry I've just noticed all of the typos in my first post! Sorry blush

Thanks so much everyone for your advice! So lovely and helpful of you all flowers

Also not sure I actually want to know this but here goes does having a UTI increase your chances of getting them later on? Sorry, clumsily worded, but my brain's gone to mush blush I can't think of a clearer way of phrasing it.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

Deliveries of hot water bottles and/or fluffy cats (for snuggling purposes of course) would be most welcome! wink

DixieFlatline Tue 23-May-17 20:26:59

Cranberry juice makes the urine slightly acidic. Which is great if your UTI is caused by bacteria which don't like acid.

There are multiple studies of cranberry (juice or capsules) for the prevention of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in healthy women, pregnant women, individuals with spinal cord injuries, and nursing home residents. While no single study convincingly demonstrates the ability of cranberry to prevent UTIs, the sum total of favorable evidence combined with laboratory research tends to support this use. It is not clear what dose is best.Cranberry seems to work by preventing bacteria from sticking to cells that line the bladder. Contrary to prior belief, urine acidification does not appear to play a role. Notably, many studies have been sponsored by the cranberry product manufacturer Ocean Spray®. Additional research is needed in this area before a firm conclusion can be drawn.

Source: www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/cranberry/evidence/hrb-20059059

LurkingHusband Tue 23-May-17 21:41:31

Notably, many studies have been sponsored by the cranberry product manufacturer Ocean Spray®

That could be an endorsement, or a criticism ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now