Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that if DC chose not to go to university, we should give them 10k?

(10 Posts)
brownmouse Mon 22-May-17 12:25:23

To clarify: I don't have any savings BUT according to the calculators online, the parental contribution to DC's university costs isn't 3k a year.

One dc is due to start uni this year but is probably going to get a job instead.

AIBU to think we should somehow compensate her for the money that we would be paying other DC for going to uni? Otherwise we will effectively be giving them 10k each and her nothing.

Should we pay some of her rent when she moves out? Or save up for her...?

AIBU to think this is fair? Is anyone else doing this..?

brownmouse Mon 22-May-17 12:25:45

*IS

Whatsername17 Mon 22-May-17 12:28:26

What if she decided she wants to go to uni later? I'd wait. There .I got be a time when she needs the money and you can help.

Whatsername17 Mon 22-May-17 12:28:54

I got = might. Sorry, my phone is weird

TeenAndTween Mon 22-May-17 12:32:25

I think save up for her.
It is reasonable that if you are going to fund other DCs through university that you at some point give her comparable funding.
However don't just 'give it to her', wait until she needs it.

Earlybird Mon 22-May-17 12:33:11

No. It is like rewarding them financially for not going. At that age, I'm not sure they have the long-term vision to understand how university could help them go farther in life.

From another angle - if you gave them the money, would you stipulate how it could / couldn't be used? You probably wouldn't want them spending it on holidays / clothes / going out / etc.

NavyandWhite Mon 22-May-17 12:35:49

You could help her out financially for sure if you're in a position to do so. You're not obliged to obviously but it's a fair and generous thing to do.

LucyAutumn Mon 22-May-17 12:41:43

The money parents contribute to their children going to university is to help with the cost of living, not miscellaneous pocket/ reward money.
Children that choose to stay at home and work will be supported by remaining under the same roof as their parent and being able to save whilst their parent/s pay most if not all of the bills while they are able to save/ spend their money at will.

RedSkyAtNight Mon 22-May-17 12:47:27

I was going to say what Lucy said. The 3K is to cover living costs at uni - unless she's going to move out of your house straight away (I'm guessing this is unlikely) you are indirectly providing the same (or more) in terms of support.

Dishwashersaurous Mon 22-May-17 12:52:29

How much rent are you going to charge her for living in your house, and for food etc.

Bet it's more than 58 per week market value, (which is the £3000per year).

So suggest that you explain this to the child who isn't going to uni, and charge less than you would if it was market rate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now