Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you've joined the slime bandwagon

(41 Posts)
Lostbeyondwords Mon 22-May-17 07:43:57

My dd is having a tough time at the moment and has been desperately trying to make this slime stuff that's all over the place at the moment, without success.

We've bought spray starch (liquid, dr beckman and aerosol from dylon, this seems better), a ton of pva glue, small amount of clear glue as it's harder to find, shaving cream, used every shampoo or laundry detergent available...nothing has actually made something passable.

Have any of you or your dc made any successfully? What exactly have you used? Like down to the brand... I know it's a stupid fad but it's helping dd (sort of) to distract her so I'm trying to find a way to make it. Can anyone help?

harderandharder2breathe Mon 22-May-17 08:38:12

Cornflour and water works

We did it at Guides with ingredients of glue, shampoo, cornflour, laundry detergent and it had mixed results.

madcapcat Mon 22-May-17 08:41:36

Will ask my niece tonight -she has tubs and tubs of the stuff

MermaidsTears Mon 22-May-17 09:52:54

Ur9l s sax c dc8y

RedGrapeCornSnake Mon 22-May-17 10:43:04

I have used

Pva glue (White is find)
Shaving foam

Mix together roughly the same amount

Drip in contact lens solution that contains borax (it tells you on the ingredients)

Mix until stretchy

KC225 Mon 22-May-17 10:45:42

Washing up liquid and flour here in Sweden. Plus food colouring of course

Cantamendusername Mon 22-May-17 10:49:49

We tried and failed. We found 'toilet noise putty' in smyths toys, purchased 5 of them and mixed them all together to make a large ball of slime
www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/creativity-music-and-partyware/pocket-money/toilet-noise-putty/p/132209

VolunteerAsTribute Mon 22-May-17 10:50:45

Just buy borax from a small indy chemist as opposed to using laundry detergent.

For our summer fete, one stall let children make it by the tuib full with plain borax, hand soap and PVA glue.

Everythingwillbeok Mon 22-May-17 11:07:26

We used comfort, blue food colouring, flour, water and pva glue. Worked fine. Oh and DD added glitter afterwards too smile

MermaidsTears Mon 22-May-17 14:49:02

We tried borax with pva glue and water....it did not work

smearedinfood Mon 22-May-17 15:13:36

Does this stuff biodegrade?

4catsaremylife Mon 22-May-17 15:46:51

http://monteneyelearning.org/staffblogs/monteney/learningjourney/2015/01/29/kitchen-cupboard-science-part-2/
I've used this before wit worked hoe you're successful

4catsaremylife Mon 22-May-17 15:47:22

'It' damned autocorrect

jellyfrizz Mon 22-May-17 16:33:36

The water, glue and laundry liquid worked for me about 2 years ago but they keep changing the ingredients in the liquid.
Tesco super concentrated gel worked but now doesn't :-(. I don't think Almat works anymore either.
You can buy Borax on Amazon though, which definitely does work - don't put too much in or else you make bouncy balls instead!

Ecureuil Mon 22-May-17 16:34:34

Borax, PVA glue and water has worked really well for us! We have two really good batches.

GingersHaveSouls Mon 22-May-17 16:46:54

Almat from Aldi worked perfectly with Pva glue and paint. Made brilliant slime. Add shave foam (not gel) and it makes it fluffy.
All was going perfectly well until Aldi recently changed the formula in their Almat. It doesn't work anymore. This equals one disappointed daughter.
We have tried pretty much every other detergent to no avail. We bought borax substitute and that doesn't work either.
Will have to try the corn starch to see if that helps.
If you have an Aldi close by it may be worth checking to see if they have any of the "old Almat" left in stock. (More of a square lid to it) . We have tried the ones in our area and it's all the new stuff.
Good luck

GingersHaveSouls Mon 22-May-17 16:47:44

It's also nigh on impossible to get Borax in the U.K. Is there a reason for this?

Ecureuil Mon 22-May-17 16:51:40

Also kershaws powder laundry starch (diluted with water) and PVA glue. Works fantastically!

Heychickadee Mon 22-May-17 16:56:04

PVA and bio laundry liquid works

neverundersold Mon 22-May-17 16:59:19

DD2 uses PVA glue,Formil washing gel and shaving foam. Makes gallons of the stuff.

neverundersold Mon 22-May-17 16:59:48

DD2 uses PVA glue,Formil washing gel and shaving foam. Makes gallons of the stuff.

ProfYaffle Mon 22-May-17 17:05:04

We could only get it to work with boric acid bought online. Boric acid is also in Optrex eye wash and Superdrug own brand contact lens solution (might be in other brands too but I haven't checked) but we found the solution too weak to be reliable.

I checked the Aldi washing liquid in store this morning and it didn't list boric acid as an ingredient.

Trb17 Mon 22-May-17 17:07:24

Ugh I'm so sick of this craze! Wish it would do one as sick of sticky slimy things in the house confused

Lostbeyondwords Mon 22-May-17 17:29:40

Oh my gosh, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Ive got a shopping list now!

I had heard about almat and was looking for the nearest aldi, then heard about the change in formula!!

Volunteer I was being all precious and staying away from borax because of all the chemical burns to hands being reported but looks like as long as you use it carefully it should be fine. So will have to give it a go.

Trb17 my dd's lovely velvet covered dressing table stool has bloody slime on it! I haven't even attempted to remove it yet, dreadful stuff, but it'll pass like everything else!

Iloveantiques Mon 22-May-17 19:15:43

Contact lens solution instead of borax. Works a treat. It has to have some compound of borate in so check the ingredients. We use Boots own brand solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now