Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I just carry on as normal

(13 Posts)
CatBrighton Mon 22-May-17 06:26:12

Bit of a trivial thing going on but niggling me.
A good friend gave me a bday card in January with a note saying she'd take me out for dinner as my bday gift. Just about this time our daughters had a small disagreement (they're BF's) which was resolved quickly however despite always agreeing not to get involved with kids issues, on this occasion she did and we had a bit of a cool off period, she has not mentioned my bday meal again and I'm embarrassed to ask. It's now her bday in a few weeks.
So my question is do I carry on as normal and spend £30 on a gift or do I give a a card with a bunch of flowers instead.
I know we don't give to receive. I think this is really bothering me more as she hasn't reminded me about it, for what reason I'm not sure.
Thanks smile

wren23091 Mon 22-May-17 06:31:32

If it was in January she made the offer and hasn't thought to actually do it yet, that's quite a while to have left it confused I don't think it would be unreasonable to do the card and flowers, considering your "cooling off period" plus the length of time since your own birthday

bigchris Mon 22-May-17 06:33:07

I'd just send a card

bigchris Mon 22-May-17 06:34:07

You could write in it lets meet up for a birthday Meal soon

BeeMyBaby Mon 22-May-17 06:34:52

Yes just a card and a bunch of flowers would be fine.

ittooshallpass Mon 22-May-17 06:36:00

Just send her a card and say let's have a joint birthday meal/ drink together soon.

Only1scoop Mon 22-May-17 06:37:06

Card and flowers or fizz. Card saying 'hope we can get together soon'

SamoanSamosa Mon 22-May-17 06:38:42

Yes great idea of suggesting meeting for a joint birthday meal! Then you're both on even ground and can just split the bill when you go out.

BastardGoDarkly Mon 22-May-17 06:39:59

Card and flowers/bottle of something will be fine. I wouldn't mention any meal, she's clearly not up for it.

Clearoutre Mon 22-May-17 06:40:11

If you want a shot at getting your friendship back then, as you forgot to arrange your birthday meal, suggest going out together as a joint treat? Would also be good to show your kids that friends can make up.

Katsussex Mon 22-May-17 06:44:03

My DH says don't change what I do and get her a gift as it may make her think or remember - two wrongs don't make a right- thing.
I like the idea of suggesting a joint meal and have thought of writing that on a card however I don't want to cause friction if there was a reason why she hasn't suggested it again.

Clearoutre Mon 22-May-17 06:52:31

Just do it in good faith & put the ball in her court - if it's suggested in the card she won't be put on the spot and can think about it. At least then you tried.

Chloe84 Mon 22-May-17 06:53:41

I wouldn't get her a gift. That's just rewarding childish behaviour.

Joint meal is the way to go, but with just a card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now