Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To buy teacher "end of year"present?

(118 Posts)
user1488540182 Sun 21-May-17 12:12:25

Here's a question I hope I can find an answer to. As the end of the school year is fast approaching I am feeling reluctant to buy my sons' teacher a present.

I brought her a gift at Christmas and she didn't even so much as say a thank you or a "Happy Christmas"! Now I really feel like blanking the end of year gift. We didn't buy teacher's gifts when I was at school at the end of term, only if they were leaving. Any advice?

OpalTree Sun 21-May-17 12:14:59

She probably thanked your son at the time and appreciated it but forgot by the time she saw you because of being busy/receiving lots of presents.

spanieleyes Sun 21-May-17 12:15:32

A gift is not compulsory, if you don't want to buy one, then don't!

yaela123 Sun 21-May-17 12:16:44

Is the lack of thanks for Xmas present the only reason? Is she a good teacher?

harderandharder2breathe Sun 21-May-17 12:16:54

If you don't want to don't.

I expect she thanked your son at the time, I wouldn't expect a personal thank you to the parents as well,

Hastalapasta Sun 21-May-17 12:18:09

Not compulsory, my DC have had fab teachers this year and both want to buy them chocolates, so will be doing that.

Xmasbaby11 Sun 21-May-17 12:18:17

You don't have to buy a present however I think you're being over dramatic about her not saying thank you. It was probably an oversight.

Xmasbaby11 Sun 21-May-17 12:21:17

I like buying dd's teacher a present. She does a great job with my dd and u want her to know I appreciate it. I will also be writing a card telling her this. I don't know if she liked the presents as I don't know her as a person but I think a card is important. I also bought presents for the TAs.

OdinsLoveChild Sun 21-May-17 12:21:30

If its primary school the teacher would much prefer a nice homemade card or letter from your child instead of copious numbers of 'worlds best teacher' merchandise. DS teacher has a house full of stuff she has no idea who gave what to her.

user1488540182 Sun 21-May-17 12:23:43

No it was not an oversight at all, and no she was not busy the class was completely empty at the time and she did not say thank you to my sons either.

Sirzy Sun 21-May-17 12:23:51

Surely they just thank the child?

SayNoToCarrots Sun 21-May-17 12:25:58

Are you saying she just took the gift from him and said nothing??

Ravenblack Sun 21-May-17 12:26:42

Ooooh, I think if you are buying gifts (from your child,) and getting a bit annoyed because the recipient didn't thank you personally, then you have to question why you are so annoyed about them not thanking you. Are you buying a gift for praise and recognition? Your annoyance and reaction here suggests that. As a few people have said, the teacher probably thanked your son when he gave it to her. In addition, she may get loads of things off other people and finds it hard to keep up.

All that said, I have no idea why you would want to keep buying gifts for teacher. For Christmas, for end of term,....... do you buy for her birthday as well? I wonder what the teacher thinks about this? If I was the teacher, it wouldn't sit well with me. Why not just a card??? confused I would never be buying gifts for people I barely know.

Ravenblack Sun 21-May-17 12:28:45

I echo what @carrots said, did the teacher just grab said gift from your son and not even acknowledge it. I find this hard to believe.

OpalTree Sun 21-May-17 12:29:22

Do you mean you went to the classroom before or after school with your sons to give the present and she took it without thanking you or them?

Floggingmolly Sun 21-May-17 12:29:59

She didn't take a gift from a child without uttering a single word! I don't believe it.

CheeseCrackersAndWine Sun 21-May-17 12:35:01

Gifts aren't compulsory. If you don't want to buy one, don't. I usually do, but I'm not this year as my DD got a new school built which opened recently so for new teacher who will have barely taught her so I don't see the need.

user1488540182 Sun 21-May-17 12:37:50

RavenBlack I gave her the presen,t not my sons. I no, I did not buy her a present for either "praise or recognition". What a rather odd thing to suggest. I brought it as a token of appreciation along with the card I gave her. But because she is a "teacher" you seem to think that manners doesn't apply to her. Frankly I thought it was rude. If you do not think so then we obviously livery in different world.

Topseyt Sun 21-May-17 12:40:01

How could the class have been empty?

She would have been busy with something or other even if it was just thinking about the next event. Christmas is crazy in primary schools.

Hopefully you bought nothing expensive, as that can cause its own problems when it becomes a competition between parents and between their children. Many then want to be effusively thanked and may get very narked.

If you don't want to get a gift then don't. I didn't. If you must do something then a thank you card is perfectly sufficient.

TheWitTank Sun 21-May-17 12:41:19

I never buy gifts for teachers at the end of term/Christmas etc. I did contribute towards the leavers gift when my DD left for secondary, but I think gift buying throughout the year is really silly and OTT. I really do appreciate the work teachers do, but a sincere thank you is enough and a card at most. I know a lot of teachers through work and as friends and most of the gifts they receive either end up binned, left at school to go mouldy/die/screwed up in the bottom of a drawer or shared out in the staff room.

SayNoToCarrots Sun 21-May-17 12:41:56

Even if you gave it to her, I find it difficult to comprehend how she could just take it and say nothing. If she did, then she is not only being unreasonable, she is very odd.

user1488540182 Sun 21-May-17 12:43:06

To clarify because some of you find in unbelievable to think she did not say thank you: it was the last day of term. The class WAS empty. She DID NOT say thank you. Is that clear with everyone now? 😩

Topseyt Sun 21-May-17 12:43:51

Manners do, of course, apply to her, but along with others, I find it hard to believe she just apparently took the gift and ignored the giver.

Floggingmolly Sun 21-May-17 12:45:29

Did she say anything else?

Xmasbaby11 Sun 21-May-17 12:51:36

OK her reaction does sound rude. Did she say anything at all or just put it to one side?

You really don't need to justify not buying her a present. Plenty of parents around here don't. It's nobody's business.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: