Talk

Advanced search

I can't decide between jobs, help please!

(11 Posts)
Dancingdaphne Sun 21-May-17 10:53:04

I know it seems unreasonable but the jobs aren't high paying in fact both minimum wage
One in a sainsburys 2 nights per week and the other in a day nursery 16 hours per week spread between school runs
Obviously I would rather not work at night especially through holidays when I won't be able to sleep the day after but the day nursery position means missing things like sports day unless they can allow me off depending on number of staff and relying on grandparents 2 days a week in holidays to have DS whilst I work to make up my hours.
More a WWUD?

JsOtherHalf Sun 21-May-17 12:23:23

Are the nights overnight? If not, what time would your shifts be?

PerpendicularVincent Sun 21-May-17 12:24:35

What's your career goal, and which job best supports that?

LizzieMacQueen Sun 21-May-17 12:25:58

Personally I'd rather work the nights. As your children get older it'll be easier to rest the days following your shifts.

Dancingdaphne Sun 21-May-17 12:31:42

The hours would be 10-6am so overnight yes.
Career wise I want to work in education so the nursery suits better but the pay is lower as no night allowance and interferes with my sons time with me on holidays as he would need to go to grandparents and I couldn't attend anything at the school.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 21-May-17 12:42:07

Dont work all night if you have small children. You will get wrecked and then cranky. Night work is horrible. The other job is far more family friendly. I have done nights and your whole body clock goes wonky.

PerpendicularVincent Sun 21-May-17 13:17:22

If his grandparents would happily look after him during holidays then the nursery job may be better - you could take leave for school events?

Littledrummergirl Sun 21-May-17 13:24:03

Dh works nights in a supermarket. It's horrible. A number of supermarkets are cutting back on overtime and introducing flexible contracts meaning they change which hours you will work. Dh is currently going through consultation on this in his store as a number of them refused to volunteer to switch- management want them to work Thursday to Sunday nights meaning no family time at weekends.

I would take the nursery job.

iveburntthetoast Sun 21-May-17 13:44:28

Nursery, no question. It's been shown how much night work can damage people's' health

marabounuts Sun 21-May-17 13:46:25

nursery seems to be much more practical.

As for sport's day etc - I have never been and most working parents won't be able to anyways. I do not see the issue.

JsOtherHalf Sun 21-May-17 14:57:16

If you want to work with children, then the nursery would seem a better option.
Working nights left me feeling like I had a permanent hangover.

As for the school activities, you will be entitled to annual leave?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: