Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think expensive baby / toddler clothes are overrated?

(48 Posts)
Mammylamb Sun 21-May-17 09:52:51

Yesterday I was in a baby clothes shop of (a well known middle class baby clothes shop). Prices were about £18 for a romper suit. Now, the clothes were beautiful, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay high prices for clothes my son will only wear for a few months at most. Ended up in sainsburys buying 3 outfits for the same price...

DonkeyOaty Sun 21-May-17 10:11:46

Yes and no. Indulgent grannies and high flying friends bought high end stuff for mine. We bought Ladybird stuff ourselves (shows age!)

Zaberwocky Sun 21-May-17 10:12:52

I have to say I agree! I really don't see the point in spending a fortune on baby clothes, but each to their own.

I think a lot of the more expensive stuff is more aimed at those buying a gift, rather than the parents.

BumWad Sun 21-May-17 10:13:25

Agree

mirime Sun 21-May-17 10:15:09

I don't see the point either, but I don't see the point in anything other than vests and babygros when they're tiny. Anything more complicated is just creating unnecessary extra work for yourself.

SimplyNigella Sun 21-May-17 10:19:55

I've spent a lot on DS's clothes and then sold most of them on for 70-80% of the original price, or in the case of some items the demand is so great you can actually make a profit. I understand not everyone can be faffed with that though.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Sun 21-May-17 10:26:33

I must admit, I buy a few higher-value pieces per age-range for DD (not hugely exorbitant, a £40 dress or two for example, not Marie Chantal (sp?) cashmere jumpers for £200).

But I don't buy them because they're more expensive, I buy them because they're lovely.

And there is a pervasive sense of sadness when DD, now eight months old, grows out of her recent size-range, and I know she'll never wear that 'little whatever' ever again, but I find I feel the same irrespective of he price tag.

DayMoth Sun 21-May-17 10:30:41

I think expensive brands are softer and the seams less itchy. They also wash better, they don't fade or lose shape. I prefer to buy less but stick to brands like Bluzoo, John Rocha, Baker, M&S, Frugi, Monsoon, Boden. I don't understand people why buy designer outfits though, like Ralph Lauren- that seems a waste of money as the quality is no different!

I like soft, thick cotton and natural fabrics. Most inexpensive brands use polyester cotton. I've tried putting DD in supermarket vests and H&M things but they make her itchy and she tries to get them off!

Alexandra87 Sun 21-May-17 10:53:09

Donkey you can still get ladybird clothes my dc have them.

There's pros and cons to both I think the cheaper supermarket stuff is good for playing in the garden and stuff if it gets stained you can just bin it.
More expensive brands are good of like me you have 3 of the same sex as they get handed down. We have had some clothes that have gone from my 2 nephews to my 3 sons and then been passed on to my godson and they're still like new.

DonkeyOaty Sun 21-May-17 10:57:33

Alexandra that's good to know

KensingtonMama Sun 21-May-17 11:05:29

One or two nice things are fine, but whats the point in dressing up a baby in clothes worth more than some of your own? My dd has a few nice things that she wears if we go somewhere for lunch or to a museum etc. but other than that its relatively cheap (but still nice) clothes for her.

ps. Can we agree that those bows and headbands people put on their newborns are literally the worst

Cuppateanosugar Sun 21-May-17 11:06:40

Agree. I know women who buy £100 dresses.. I can go in primark and buy the whole range for that grin

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sun 21-May-17 11:20:40

I was thinking this yesterday. Went into Jojo Maman Bebe to get DS some canvas doodle-type shoes as I actually think their shoes are quite good value, and had a look round at everything else. The clothes are incredibly cute, but I just can't get my head around paying that much except for a special occasion. And I don't actually think the t-shirts and things last any better than normal clothes - he's had a couple as presents from grannies etc and the appliqué frays and they stretch out of shape just like his t-shirts from Tesco do. He did have a raincoat from there that did him all the winter before last as a coat, all this winter as a jacket, and still looks as good as new, but we've also had a wonder-coat from primark with similar longevity.

KensingtonMama Sun 21-May-17 11:23:02

For me, at the end of the day, its baby clothes, I've better things to worry about than weather a one year old is looking suave whilst she crawls around on the floor...

SleepFreeZone Sun 21-May-17 11:23:57

IME most of these clothes look like rags once they're washed.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 21-May-17 11:26:43

I just buy in the sales a year ahead but I'm a cheapskate.

HearTheThunderRoar Sun 21-May-17 11:38:49

When DD was young, there was one designer children shop near us (pre internet shopping days) and if there was a sale on, I might have got the odd nice top or dress but thats only if I had the money too.

When she was about 2, I bought her the most gorgeous coat from said shop which was the only designer item I bought at full price, and it served her very well.

silkpyjamasallday Sun 21-May-17 11:59:31

I wouldn't pay more than £30 for any one item, most of DDs stuff is from Sainsbury's or marks and spencer, I do like the jojo maman sleepsuits though as they have the integrated scratch mitts in the bigger sizes so for me it's worth the extortionate £15 per suit. Cashmere blankets, trousers and jumpers from H&M, reasonably priced and wash really well. But I have got a few bits from Marie Chantal, Ralph Lauren, Dolce and Gabbana, kenzo, Stella McCartney and Bonpoint but all from eBay outlets for last season stuff. Sometimes it is better quality, her snowsuits are actually down filled rather than sweaty polyester but cost less than buying a basic one from a shop. She may not wear stuff for long but they will make lovely hand me downs or I could sell them for almost as much as I bought them for. They look nice in the photos which last forever so I think it is worth it for what I spend, if I was spending hundreds on one item though I might think differently.

SimplyNigella Sun 21-May-17 12:03:01

I don't spend hundreds on an item and I'm not a big fan of Jojo, but I love the Scandi brands like Mini Rodini and will happily pay more for their lovely prints. I tend to buy online from indie retailers, supporting small business is a bonus.

Clothes for nursery are Gap and Zara all the way.

CeCeBloomer Sun 21-May-17 12:36:04

I buy a lot of indie labels for my kids - I love dressing them in really cute clothes and take pride in them looking nice.

CeCeBloomer Sun 21-May-17 12:36:54

As above like the Scandi brands, Molo, Mini Rodini, Bang Bang Copenhagen and Room7

londonrach Sun 21-May-17 12:39:51

If you talking jojo op. Some are, same arent. I have a few items from jojo which are gifts and i watch it with supermarket items. Jojo always got at least 10% off. They wash well and are soft on the skin. Mind you i love sainsburys and morrisons baby clothes at the moment.

londonrach Sun 21-May-17 12:40:44

Match not watch

Batteriesallgone Sun 21-May-17 13:25:14

I only spend more if they are more ethical. Not convinced Jojo clothes are any less likely to be made by a child in an impoverished country, for all the fancy branding.

Mammylamb Sun 21-May-17 15:52:18

I don't think longevity matters too much for us as my son grows out of clothes quickly, and we are unlikely to have another child so no one to hand clothes down to! I really did like the clothes in jojo, but just couldn't justify when I can get so much more for the same money elsewhere!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now