Talk

Advanced search

A right good Rodgering and the £500 service charge...

(293 Posts)
Hiphopapotamus4 Sun 21-May-17 07:53:06

Sorry for not coming back sooner with an update. To be honest I was a bit creeped out that more than one of you had looked on Rightmove at every single house for sale in the entire county. I mean, there are literally thousands, who has the time for that?!
But also I didn't want to be like the Victorian safe poster and some of you did offer some helpful suggestions so I am back.

The bad news is, this is looking more like a scam. The council don't have any record of it and the local landowners and parish council know nothing either.
Roger called a street meeting and the 10 houses that pay agreed that a "man from the council" had come round years ago to explain what it was for and they have all paid it since. The other house that doesn't pay and us are much newer to the street which explains why we don't pay and neither of our solicitors mentioned anything when purchasing.
Some of them have a direct debit set up and some of them send a cheque. The bank details and address are different to the council tax ones sad
Roger has reported this to the police and I'm awaiting further updates from him.
Some of them want to keep paying it because they are convinced it's real and don't want to get behind on their payments. Two of them think we are just kicking up a fuss to try and get out of paying it confused

The general consensus at the end of the meeting was that it might be a scam, but it might not be. I'm convinced that it is sad

Sad news all round really (but Rodger did come and now my lawn with his new mower!)

peppatax Sun 21-May-17 07:56:01

Wow - what a scam!!

More importantly, did he make a good job of the lawn?

PS I missed the Victorian safe thread?

glitterglitters Sun 21-May-17 07:56:05

Thanks for coming back! It's such a shame that it's a scam but at least it's been identified now and it seems like a big enough scale that it'll be easy to investigate for the police.

If it hadn't have been for you nobody would be the wiser so well done @Hiphopapotamus4 !!!

TheNumberfaker Sun 21-May-17 07:56:46

So what did the 'man from the council' say it was for?

RockPaperCut Sun 21-May-17 07:57:08

Wow. I hope the police catch the person responsible. That's an awful thing to do.

BigGreenOlives Sun 21-May-17 07:57:41

Thank you for coming back & updating. I hope that the conmen are caught & prosecuted.

StealthPolarBear Sun 21-May-17 07:58:36

Excellent update thanks op. I hope they catch the scammer

sparechange Sun 21-May-17 07:58:51

How awful that it's a scam but how even more awful that some are going to keep paying it

Will you update us if the police find out anything interesting please..

senua Sun 21-May-17 07:59:23

Thanks for updating us.smile

When is the next payment due? - when Roger et al don't pay then that should flush out Service Charge Company and their debt collectors, and prove if this is real or scam.

RockPaperCut Sun 21-May-17 07:59:23

This could be just the tip of the iceberg. Are your neighbours elderly?

purplecoathanger Sun 21-May-17 08:00:53

Thanks for the update. It's hard to believe it's scam! Blimey, fancy getting away with that for so many years (if it is).

Longdistance Sun 21-May-17 08:01:04

Some of them sound like they're in denial about being conned. Stubborn fools!

glitterglitters Sun 21-May-17 08:01:16

@RockPaperCut I was thinking that. If they were happy to pay "the council" with different details etc that would normally Red flag to other people how many additional "insurances" and "bills" will they have? Also is it just the road or is it more widespread than that? 😵

EllaHen Sun 21-May-17 08:02:16

Oh, you are a good egg Hiphop.

LottieDoubtie Sun 21-May-17 08:03:53

Thanks for the update! I wouldn't worry too much about those that claim to have looked at every house on Rightmove - surely nobody really has time for that?

Sounds like a scam- your poor neighbours. If Rogers mowing the lawn he seems to be on your side and a bit grateful for you for uncovering all this.

Supersoaryflappypigeon Sun 21-May-17 08:05:02

Christ that's awful.

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Sun 21-May-17 08:06:39

Thanks for the update! How fucking terrible to scam people like this, utterly despicable. I hope they all stop paying and don't give you grief

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sun 21-May-17 08:06:50

Some of them sound like they're in denial about being conned. Stubborn fools!

This is actually quite a common reaction to being scammed. I don't understand the psychology of it, but I've seen it happen a few times.

Thank you for the update. How awful though. I hope they all get a huge refund but I know it's not likely.

zzzzz Sun 21-May-17 08:07:01

sad I feel sad they've all been had. How dreadful.

Frouby Sun 21-May-17 08:08:00

I reckon it's Rogers scam. He is mowing your lawn to earwig on conversations to find out your next move.

50ShadesOfEarlGrey Sun 21-May-17 08:08:03

Yes, I understand why you were a little concerned, that thread had taken on a life of its own!
Extraordinary views by some, thinking you have stirred this up so that you don't have to pay, rather than thank you Hipho for potentially saving us all this money. If it does turn out to be a scam, as seems likely, what an incredible one to pull, I wonder if they have done it to other developments?
Lovely to come back with an update.

TweedAddict Sun 21-May-17 08:08:19

Bloody hell, I really feel for your neighbors. Well done you for looking out for them

Ktown Sun 21-May-17 08:08:23

Poor sods
That's terrible
They shouldn't be too difficult to identify with an address and bank details though

Hiphopapotamus4 Sun 21-May-17 08:09:39

All the neighbours are elderly, DH is furious as he used to care for one of them (before we moved here!) and one day the guy was really excited as he had "won the lottery" and just needed to send them an admin fee to get his money. DH put a quick stop to that and reported it and now it turns out he was paying this charge the whole time.
DH no longer works in the care industry but said these kinds of things are far too common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now