Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Friend rubbing new relationship in my face

(11 Posts)
MasuMara Sat 20-May-17 19:08:26

I'm probably being very unreasonable and maybe I just need to vent.

One of my best friends has started dating someone. All day long (I work with her) I listen to how amazing the date was, how amazing he thinks she is, how he's got a great figure, how he's so rich.

Basically I just listen all day to the compliments he's given her.

I just broke up with someone, it wasn't a long relationship (no kids) but I'm still feeling quite hurt and shit.

I know she's just excited and of course wanting to share with her friend ... but I just feel myself fake smiling and not knowing what to say apart from "aww sweet" confused

Just got a text now saying she's just had yet another fantastic date.

MasuMara Sat 20-May-17 19:20:44

Guess I must be wink

Soozikinzii Sat 20-May-17 19:20:57

I don't suppose she is deliberately rubbing your face in it it just SEEMs like she is. You could make a joke out of it and say Thanks for really helping me to cope with being single by telling me how great it is to be loved up all the time or has he got any fit friends? There must be some way let her know you want her to ease up a bit while you are happy for her having such a good time xx

Trills Sat 20-May-17 19:28:55

Well she's either doing it deliberately to show how much better she is than you, because she can bag a man and you can't.

Or she's just very excited and a bit thoughtless.

She sounds very boring to listen to either way. Doesn't she have any work to do?

Trills Sat 20-May-17 19:32:31

As Anne Bronte says in The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - "thoughtlessness may lead to every crime, and will but poorly excuse our errors in the sight of God"

Bluntness100 Sat 20-May-17 19:33:17

When you were dating your guy was she single? Did you do it to her? I'd think about that because sometimes we just talk with excitement about what makes us happy and not consider the others feelings.

WrittenandGrown Sat 20-May-17 21:23:40

I think she is just excited. It's sweet, just listen for a couple of minutes and then change the subject.

pipsqueak25 Sat 20-May-17 21:28:08

she'll need a good listening friend if it goes toes up, but in the meantime don't engage with the 'aww that's nice bit', nod, smile and move on or change the subject. she's excited but it does get boring tbh.

HildaOg Sat 20-May-17 21:33:06

She's just excited and enthusiastic... She's not trying to hurt you on purpose. She'd probably be mortified if she knew how you felt.

Mc180768 Sat 20-May-17 21:41:47

Why not try being honest with your friend. That her constantly banging on about her new beau is sending you over the edge. Leave her be for a while and get through your shit?

KC225 Sat 20-May-17 21:54:12

It's so easy to get giddy when you are seeing someone new and it's going well. I don't think she is rubbing your nose in it, I think she is caught up in the excitement of it all and as you are her friend she wants to share it with you. Be happy for her and think that will be you soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now