Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much your weekly shop is?

(82 Posts)
NotAnotherUserName5 Fri 19-May-17 19:00:31

We are a family of 5 (2 adults+3DC) spending about 130-150 on food and toiletries on our weekly shop. No alcohol or cigarettes and I tend to cook from scratch.

If you manage to spend less, how do you do it? Any tips welcome as really want to cut the bill down as much as possible.

Trifleorbust Fri 19-May-17 19:04:10

We are two adults and a baby and spend about £60 a week. We limit meat and generally buy big items in bulk, which keeps cost down. We don't buy many exotic fruits and stick to apples, bananas, grapes etc. Erm, that's it really.

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 19-May-17 19:11:58

Two adults and toddler, between £60-£90.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Fri 19-May-17 19:14:22

We spend at least the same as you OP we are two adults with two teenage boys plus intermittently their girlfriends too who frequently stay.

Lonelynessie Fri 19-May-17 19:14:54

Around £130-150 a week - a family of 4. Could spend less but prefer to buy higher quality meat and veggies if possible.

Cheapest I've got it down to is around £100 by shopping at Aldi, but we ended up not buying the things we usually do (and some days really noticing the lack of food in the house).

CricketRuntAndRashers Fri 19-May-17 19:16:38

I have to ask DH.

I'm not sure... We're 2 adults 1 toddler. (And soon DC2)

I imagine it depends on the week, whether we have guests etc...

Hopefully Fri 19-May-17 19:17:00

How old are your DC? We are 5 (2 adults, DC are 3, 6 and 9) and spend c.£80 per week, but to be honest it's a pain and I wish we had more to spend.

Seenoevil Fri 19-May-17 19:17:06

2 adults & 2 kids = about £60.

That doesn't include alcohol or fags either as we don't smoke.

shamoffour Fri 19-May-17 19:17:08

2 adults, 4 dc one in nappies, a dog and 2 cats £160 in Aldi. I used to do online Sainsburys and it used to be £230 which was ridiculous. I cook all meals from scratch and we eat loads of fruit and veg and a few treats. I love Aldi.

TheoriginalLEM Fri 19-May-17 19:18:20

two adults and a 11yo dd. Shopping between £45 to £60 (aldi) £60-£80 Tesco. Can be a bit boring in Aldi but i can't afford a tesco shop every week.

LadyAlanPartridge Fri 19-May-17 19:21:27

2 adults and 1 6m old

Between £50-£70 each week big shop then another £30-£50 on baby stuff (milk, nappies, wipes etc)

sunnysouthend Fri 19-May-17 19:24:18

1 adult and 4 under 10s - I spend £60-£75 per week. I shop in Lidl and we eat a lot of pasta, pretty much all cooked from scratch, and not much meat (no more than 2 types per week - and I stretch it, so 2 chicken breasts are chopped up in a curry or some such which lasts 2 nights)
DC eat lunch at school - not packed lunches so that saves moolah.

mrsm43s Fri 19-May-17 19:26:26

2 adults, 2 preteens, and we spend around £40-50ish and eat very well, plus that includes a couple of bottles of wine most weeks. We also spend about £60 every 6 weeks or so on at an online butchers, plus petfood is also bought separately. So altogether probably closer to £60 a week.

I buy lots of yellow stickered items and freeze when I see them, plus we don't tend to eat fancy stuff that need lots of fresh herbs etc, more everyday family food like chillis, curries, mexican, soups, stews, roasts etc. I generally cook from scratch, but am happy to use the odd jar here and there. I also buy lots of frozen veg, so I don't have to pop out during the week for top ups.

KERALA1 Fri 19-May-17 19:27:01

£80 -£110 shop at Lidl with odd Waitrose supplement as it's Lidl I don't hold back (prawns steak etc)

calzone Fri 19-May-17 19:30:09

Every week have a meal of jacket potato,cheese and beans. Cheap and cheerful.

Have a soup and rolls.....uses up leftovers and is healthy.

Make things out of lentils......curry, bolognaise, soup, burgers.

My meal plan this week is

Vegetable biryani
Minestrone soup
Bangers and mash
Breaded chicken, fried potatoes and broccoli
Chicken fajitas

Cereal, eggs and toast for breakfast

Packed lunches are quite inexpensive.

Water
Juice
Milk

It shouldn't cost much this week.

arbrighton Fri 19-May-17 19:30:45

If that's including toiletries etc too, I'd say you're doing pretty well but

1) whispers try Moneysavingexpert forums for thrift tips
2) go down a brand if the less expensive alternative is ok for you- e.g. I won't go cheaper on coffee or jam, but I don't have any issue with value veggies
3) Meal plan, make a list, stick to the plan, try not to throw food away, don't top up shop
4) Be realistic about portion sizes e.g. protein serving actually only needs to be a 'matchbox size'
5) Less meat, more veggie meals, or replace some meat with lentils in cottage pie etc

phoenix1973 Fri 19-May-17 19:31:41

Family of 3 plus a cat. Max £45 weekly, more often £33.
Cook from scratch.
Batch bake cakes and dinners then freeze for lunch boxes and eve meal.
Get heavily reduced meat and freeze it. Then cook joints, slice And freeze in dinner sized portions.
Got 6 blocks of cheese in Asda for 50p each last weekend. Each block is 350g. Forgotten what brand it is. Use by date 15 5 17, but fine from frozen.
Grated and frozen.
Frozen and tinned fruit and veg.
Don't like bread that much, we eat wholemeal. Pittas, crumpets etc.
We eat well.

LazySusan11 Fri 19-May-17 19:32:34

Following with interest, we are 2 adults and 1 teen (4 days a week) if you spend £60 ish a week what do you buy? We don't seem to have a 'staples' list

BettyOBarley Fri 19-May-17 19:33:25

We spend about 100 a week with Morrisons online for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 baby so includes nappies and formula. That's with meal planning and we still end up doing top up shops too!

ItWentInMyEye Fri 19-May-17 19:33:40

2 adults + 3 dc 9, 6 & 4 costs approximately £70-80 a week. 2 dogs and a cat included

CakeNinja Fri 19-May-17 19:33:43

Same size family as op, and DC are 13,12 and 5. We spend around £200 per week, maybe £20 above or below that figure.
Doesn't include booze, that gets bought separately.

Doughnutsandrainbows Fri 19-May-17 19:35:17

We are 2 (with 1 on the way) and spend 50ish per week sometimes less.

Thats a large muscle food shop for meat about 100, and an asda shop appx 100 lasting about 6 weeks if we plan our meals plus topping up with fresh bits e.g. bread, fruit, salad at about £15 each week.

TheWoollybacksWife Fri 19-May-17 19:40:31

£110-£120 per week at Tesco. Family of 5 (4 adults and 1 10yo). Includes all cleaning products, toiletries and a bottle of wine and a couple of small bottles of cider per week. Breakfasts, lunches and dinner for us all although DD2 eats at work at least one day per week.

NotAnotherUserName5 Fri 19-May-17 19:40:41

DC are 2,5 and 10 years old.

The shop cost includes all usual household items and toiletries too.

Which supermarket do you think is the cheapest? We tend to shop with Asda.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Fri 19-May-17 19:47:22

Mine is around £60 per week. We eat lots of veggie food, don't buy loads of snacks. Shop in lidl, top up in co-op (student so nus discount) buy 25kg sack of potatoes from green grocers 6 weekly. Buy toiletries in savers, washing stuff when on offer in bulk. It's for 2 adults, 2 children. All 3 meals, lots of veg and fruit in house as I'm on slimming world.

Here's my meal plan this week
Gammon mash and beans
Loaded jacket potatoes beans and salad
Slow cooker lamb kebab and rice
Quorn meatballs and spaghetti
Pizza and homade chips vegetables
Savoury flapjack, New potatoes and salad
Chicken casserole

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now